XJ Roll Bar/Cage - Jeep Cherokee Forum
Jeep Cherokee Forum


XJ Roll Bar/Cage

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
Member
Thread Starter
 
countryboy215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bozeman, MT
Posts: 182

View countryboy215's Photo Album My Photos
Default XJ Roll Bar/Cage

Anybody have a full roll cage in their XJ? I wanna put something in for when I do some serious wheelin. However, theres not much room to speak of. If you have one, where are its anchor points. Has it ever been tested? (rolled over) And do you have any pics? I saw this bar at rusty's off-road. Is something like this even worth it?
Name:  Roll Bar.jpg
Views: 1872
Size:  25.6 KB
countryboy215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
MJ>XJ
 
huntingman2706217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Griffin, G.A.
Posts: 17,836

View huntingman2706217's Photo Album My Photos
Default

waste of money... google images is your friend!!
huntingman2706217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:19 PM   #3
CF Veteran
 
Gatchmo5710's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: st.george utah
Posts: 2,204

View Gatchmo5710's Photo Album My Photos
Default

that ones not gonna do much...
Gatchmo5710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 PM   #4
CF Veteran
 
xjrev10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Britt, MN
Posts: 2,199

View xjrev10's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I got one. It's attached to the unitbody stiffiners and braced off the floor supports. I have no pics from underneath. Soon I'm replacing the rockers with square tube and I plan to rework the cage to also tie into them. this should make the xj stiff as a board for wheelin. Btw this is a full custom cage. Home fabbed out of 1 3/4 DOM tubing.
Attached Thumbnails
XJ Roll Bar/Cage-image-1975596826.jpg  
xjrev10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Seasoned Member
 
esteem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Folsom, CA
Posts: 419

View esteem's Photo Album My Photos
Default

That thing is awesome looking. ^^
esteem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
Member
Thread Starter
 
countryboy215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bozeman, MT
Posts: 182

View countryboy215's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrev10 View Post
I got one. It's attached to the unitbody stiffiners and braced off the floor supports. I have no pics from underneath. Soon I'm replacing the rockers with square tube and I plan to rework the cage to also tie into them. this should make the xj stiff as a board for wheelin. Btw this is a full custom cage. Home fabbed out of 1 3/4 DOM tubing.
Thats awesome. I wanna do something like that. (But keep the roof on) I was thinkin of square tube myself. I think itll look cooler. But anyway, Im a pretty big guy, do you ever hit your head on it, or does it get in the way? Did you ever roll it?

Last edited by countryboy215; 01-09-2011 at 09:28 PM.
countryboy215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
MJ>XJ
 
huntingman2706217's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Griffin, G.A.
Posts: 17,836

View huntingman2706217's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrev10 View Post
I got one. It's attached to the unitbody stiffiners and braced off the floor supports. I have no pics from underneath. Soon I'm replacing the rockers with square tube and I plan to rework the cage to also tie into them. this should make the xj stiff as a board for wheelin. Btw this is a full custom cage. Home fabbed out of 1 3/4 DOM tubing.

NOT street legal in MN... why the tag? lol
huntingman2706217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Utardiland
Posts: 1,703

View jmaxj's Photo Album My Photos
Default

i've got one in mine that's been tested plenty of times, the jeep has been tumbled on 6 different occasions and layed on its side more than i've cared to count. the good part about an xj is when you mount a cage as long as you bolt on side of foot plate and self tap the other you'll be good. the unibody is equally strong from the whole framerail out, so as long as it's mounted in there with supports it'll work
jmaxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
CF Veteran
 
alloutperform's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: cape cod ma.
Posts: 1,140

View alloutperform's Photo Album My Photos
Default

badass...i would that roll bar won't do jack...exo's are where its at IMO protect you and the body.. i'm surprized mayham isn't in on this thread yet
alloutperform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #10
Member
Thread Starter
 
countryboy215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bozeman, MT
Posts: 182

View countryboy215's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxj View Post
i've got one in mine that's been tested plenty of times, the jeep has been tumbled on 6 different occasions and layed on its side more than i've cared to count. the good part about an xj is when you mount a cage as long as you bolt on side of foot plate and self tap the other you'll be good. the unibody is equally strong from the whole framerail out, so as long as it's mounted in there with supports it'll work
side foot plate and self tap.?? Don't know to much about uni-body...What that mean?
countryboy215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Utardiland
Posts: 1,703

View jmaxj's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy215 View Post
side foot plate and self tap.?? Don't know to much about uni-body...What that mean?
it means you can mount half of your cage mounting plate on the unibody rail and the other half on just the floor board, the side on the floor board you bolt with a plate underneath and the side on the "frame rail" you run big self tapping screws in.
jmaxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
Member
 
fullwidth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbus Grove , Ohio
Posts: 127

View fullwidth's Photo Album My Photos
Default

http://www.dandcextreme.com/product_...e.asp?pkID=126


I hate exo-cages and looked around and was looking at this kit. It seems to run nice and tight to keep good head room.
fullwidth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
Member
 
M4RK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Williamsburg, Va.
Posts: 263

View M4RK's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjrev10 View Post
I got one. It's attached to the unitbody stiffiners and braced off the floor supports. I have no pics from underneath. Soon I'm replacing the rockers with square tube and I plan to rework the cage to also tie into them. this should make the xj stiff as a board for wheelin. Btw this is a full custom cage. Home fabbed out of 1 3/4 DOM tubing.
I need an excuse to chop my XJ like that.
M4RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #14
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Utardiland
Posts: 1,703

View jmaxj's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullwidth View Post
http://www.dandcextreme.com/product_...e.asp?pkID=126


I hate exo-cages and looked around and was looking at this kit. It seems to run nice and tight to keep good head room.
yea but it's not DOM, and yes i know the differences between HREW and DOM. I'm just stating that me personally want something that can handle a few extremely hard rolls if needed, the d&c isn't a bad cage but it needs a lot of triangulation and extra tube thrown at it to be a good cage. plus i've never liked the fact that the front support is behind the visors, so it's closer to my head and doesn't protect a major weekpoint in an XJ.
jmaxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #15
Member
 
fullwidth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Columbus Grove , Ohio
Posts: 127

View fullwidth's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxj View Post
yea but it's not DOM, and yes i know the differences between HREW and DOM. I'm just stating that me personally want something that can handle a few extremely hard rolls if needed, the d&c isn't a bad cage but it needs a lot of triangulation and extra tube thrown at it to be a good cage. plus i've never liked the fact that the front support is behind the visors, so it's closer to my head and doesn't protect a major weekpoint in an XJ.

Were did I say what it was built with? You might want to check the link and actually read some stuff.Yes it is built with HREW but it also says you can get it in DOM but will cost more.That cage will hold plenty fine for hard rolls it would be up to the welder do do his job with good welds,I'd see someones weld breaking than the cage holding up during a roll.
fullwidth is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
People who think their XJ is gold.. guinelle1 Cherokee Chat 309 12-04-2016 12:16 PM
1996 cherokee runs like crap logan.stove Modified Cherokee Tech 2 09-25-2015 11:36 AM
Project War Hog aka Daisy Comanchehungry Jeep Builds 1 09-25-2015 08:42 AM
Transfer Case Whining Capxxiv OEM Cherokee Technical. All factory issues and info go here! 2 09-22-2015 04:52 PM
3 point harness opinions wanted thebyus Cherokee Chat 1 09-21-2015 01:57 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:27 AM.