Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WJ knuckle swap w/ JKS OTA bracket

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 08:13 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default WJ knuckle swap w/ JKS OTA bracket

If you've done this swap, what did you do for the drag link as well as the track bar? Also, what frame side trackbar mount and pitman arm did you use?

I'm well aware of all the things you could do, but I'm really just interested to see and hear feedback from the people that have done it. The JKS track bar bracket wouldn't be my first choice for this swap, but my axle already has it so I'm trying to decide if I should just cut it off and start fresh or just roll with it.
Old 12-09-2016, 12:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

i used a ruff stuff panhard kit

ruff stuff axle side bracket/heim/bund/dom/ IRO threaded bushing from the double sheer unit i was running/ IRO frame side bracket

its working good so far other than some binding on the bushing, will replace with an IRO flex joint when it fails
Old 12-09-2016, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

I made my own frame side bracket to match the drop of the TJ pitman arm I installed to tuck the steering up a bit higher and gain some clearances off the diff. Then custom drag and track bars using 3/4"x3/4" ruffstuff heims and 5/8" high misalignment spacers(reamed pitman), weld in bungs, and 1.5x.25" DOM tubing.
Bracket: Name:  9AE36994-9E50-4691-9413-EDA574BD0D45.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  229.2 KB

I'll try to get some pics of it installed and the angles associated with it ASAP to attempt to help you out if you'd like?
Old 12-09-2016, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Caleb9107
I made my own frame side bracket to match the drop of the TJ pitman arm I installed to tuck the steering up a bit higher and gain some clearances off the diff. Then custom drag and track bars using 3/4"x3/4" ruffstuff heims and 5/8" high misalignment spacers(reamed pitman), weld in bungs, and 1.5x.25" DOM tubing.
Bracket: [IMG]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee39/Caleb9107/9AE36994-9E50-4691-9413-EDA574BD0D45.jpg[/I MG]

I'll try to get some pics of it installed and the angles associated with it ASAP to attempt to help you out if you'd like?
Nice, ya pics are always good. Right now I'm thinking ruff stuff offset 1 ton TREs otk on the tie rod. Drag link high angle TREs although I'm worried about clearance with the jks bracket. Track bar most likely same as you with ruff stuff heims, but possibly a JJ frame side and poly bushing axle side. I'd like to keep my RE HD frame side bracket. Pitman arm is the mystery to me to match up the with RE bracket. I've talked to a guy on pirate running that exact set up and his angles look nearly perfect, but I don't understand how. Seems like they are going to be way off to me.

Last edited by Jeepology; 12-10-2016 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:31 AM

Did he say which pitman he is using? I took off a drop pitman I can try to dig back up and measure as well as the TJ one I currently have on so that you have two definitive drop numbers to measure against.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Caleb9107
Did he say which pitman he is using? I took off a drop pitman I can try to dig back up and measure as well as the TJ one I currently have on so that you have two definitive drop numbers to measure against.
Just talked to him again. He said that he just used a random pitman that he had laying around the shop lol. He thinks it may be a YJ, but really isn't positive. At least now I know there's a pitman arm that exists to make this setup work though.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 227 Likes on 177 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by Jeepology
Nice, ya pics are always good. Right now I'm thinking ruff stuff offset 1 ton TREs otk on the tie rod. Drag link high angle TREs although I'm worried about clearance with the jks bracket. Track bar most likely same as you with ruff stuff heims, but possibly a JJ frame side and poly bushing axle side. I'd like to keep my RE HD frame side bracket. Pitman arm is the mystery to me to match up the with RE bracket. I've talked to a guy on pirate running that exact set up and his angles look nearly perfect, but I don't understand how. Seems like they are going to be way off to me.

I'm also looking to do a setup very similar to this soon. Are offset TRE's usually necessary for diff cover clearance?

For the track bar I'm thinking the full RuffStuff setup with the offset axle and outside frame mounts. I looked around for a frameside mount that allows for the TB to sit slightly in front of the coil and on the outside of the frame to retain length.

As far as the JKS mount, I can't recall reading about anybody saying they had clearance problems.

I have also considered the question of heim/heim or heim/JJ on the track bar and am still unsure. Two quality heims won't wear like the poly bushings in the JJ so the steering wont get sloppy but it also transfers much more force to the unibody rail. I just bought full frame stiffiners but I am still concerned that won't be enough in the steering box/track bar area with one ton steering. The RuffStuff frame side TB mount is designed to be welded on and I don't know the best way brace and mount everything to ensure an even stress distribution. My current thoughts are to box the bottom of the unibody rails along with the stiffiners on both sides and modifying the RuffStuff mount. I want to weld on a thick piece of bent sheet to the mount to distribute the force, much like any other TB mount, then stitch weld that mount to the stiffined unibody rail. I would like to make a TB brace across to the other frame rail but that's not a priority.

I'm considering all of this for just 35's on a dana 30. I am doing it more in terms of longevity and the comfort of going bigger on the long term. I've been thinking about this for months (years?) because broke college kid; am I overthinking this?
Old 12-11-2016, 08:09 PM

Finally uploaded some more pics from my build. Heres the comparison between a RC drop pitman and a stock TJ pitman. Name:  D70AA1A4-C65D-417E-A786-351618120FD3.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  234.9 KB
Name:  D4B8C0E8-F313-4881-A223-952C09F221C3.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  246.8 KB
And just as an aside to XJlimitedx99, you will need either offsets or have your tierod bent. As I'm running 1.5x.25 DOM, I took my TR to Dan at Motobilt and had him put two bends into my bar to clear the diff. Now I have plenty of room to tuck the hydro assist cylinder low and protect it with the TR.
Name:  6403786A-1C72-4950-82BA-D3795E3F28D4.jpg
Views: 2383
Size:  227.6 KB