Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wj knuckle swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Wj knuckle swap questions

hey guys. I'm swapping a hp dana 30 and wj knuckles into my jeep and have a few questions

1) What ball joints do i actually need? some say xj upper and wj lower, some say they're both the same. some say the opposite. i don't know which to believe. please help if you've done this swap before

2)What unit bearings do i need? i heard some say 2001 cherokee and some says 2001 tj wrangler unit bearings

3)I'm staying either stock height or maybe a 2" lift. what will i need to do for trackbar bracket? i haven't seen anyone do this swap and stay stock height or small lift

4)Lastly, do i need any other spacers other than the weld on jks spacer on the knuckle? i see some say something about a spacer that goes on the caliper bracket?

5)Actually one more question, does anybody know of where to buy brand new calipers?

thank you so much for any help. i appreciate it
Old 08-31-2015, 11:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Power73
hey guys. I'm swapping a hp dana 30 and wj knuckles into my jeep and have a few questions

1) What ball joints do i actually need? some say xj upper and wj lower, some say they're both the same. some say the opposite. i don't know which to believe. please help if you've done this swap before

2)What unit bearings do i need? i heard some say 2001 cherokee and some says 2001 tj wrangler unit bearings

3)I'm staying either stock height or maybe a 2" lift. what will i need to do for trackbar bracket? i haven't seen anyone do this swap and stay stock height or small lift

4)Lastly, do i need any other spacers other than the weld on jks spacer on the knuckle? i see some say something about a spacer that goes on the caliper bracket?

5)Actually one more question, does anybody know of where to buy brand new calipers?

thank you so much for any help. i appreciate it
1.. The upper is the same for both, the lower is different.

2.. 00-up XJ unit bearings are the same as the 00-up TJ.

3.. The steering linkage angles are important, whether stock or lifted. The drag link and the track bar need to be as close to parallel as possible. I would go with the TnT customs high steer bracket, the one with the 3 holes. OR maybe ruffstuff.

4.. No other spacer is typically required. Other than, I guess using the Exploder Sport trac rotor needs some kind of spacer due to the "hat" height difference.
I would just go with the black magic brakes Centric dual drilled WJ rotors.

5.. The dealer would be the only place I can thing of for a "new" caliper. But, they are old enough that I doubt that they are plentiful. Just go to your local Carquest/AAP, Napa, etc and get reman Akebono calipers, if the ones you have you think are bad.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:01 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Metmknice
1.. The upper is the same for both, the lower is different.

2.. 00-up XJ unit bearings are the same as the 00-up TJ.

3.. The steering linkage angles are important, whether stock or lifted. The drag link and the track bar need to be as close to parallel as possible. I would go with the TnT customs high steer bracket, the one with the 3 holes. OR maybe ruffstuff.

4.. No other spacer is typically required. Other than, I guess using the Exploder Sport trac rotor needs some kind of spacer due to the "hat" height difference.
I would just go with the black magic brakes Centric dual drilled WJ rotors.

5.. The dealer would be the only place I can thing of for a "new" caliper. But, they are old enough that I doubt that they are plentiful. Just go to your local Carquest/AAP, Napa, etc and get reman Akebono calipers, if the ones you have you think are bad.
thank you! so i need an xj upper and wj lower? any recommendations on ball joints? i was thinking just spicers

ok so ill just get an 2000 xj unit bearing then

on the track bar bracket i was just wondering if i would run into any clearance issues being stock height? as most people are lifted

i thought i needed this bracket? http://jksmfg.com/i-17394608-fab-ste...ge-spacer.html welded to the knuckle

thanks again
Old 09-01-2015, 07:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

WJ ball joints in whatever flavor you like. Those are the correct JKS spacers.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

ok wj ball joints it is. that clears off ball joints and wheel bearings. still looking for input on track bar bracket. do you guys think its possible to fit all this on stock height?
also curious on the jks spacer. do i need one on each knuckle? or just on the pass side? this guy seems to say only one: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1087010
Old 09-01-2015, 09:49 PM
CF Veteran

You need one of the spacers on each side.
I think you could have a issue with the Trac bar hitting the oil pan but I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Iron rock offroad sells WJ rotors that are predrilled to 5 x 4.5 for the swap. Not sure what the price looks like though.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Big David
You need one of the spacers on each side.
I think you could have a issue with the Trac bar hitting the oil pan but I'm just thinking out loud.
thats what i was worried about. anybody else have any input on this? is it possible to do this at near stock height? i appreciate any help very much. I've got a bad lower balljoint on drivers side and i want to hurry about and swap this axle in before my tire gets worn unevenly
Old 09-02-2015, 06:45 PM
CF Veteran

Since your XJ is not lifted, you can omit the steering part of it & just attach your stock steering to the lower arm on the WJ knuckle. When/ if you decide to lift it in the future, you can work out the hi steer then.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

And if you don't have 16 inch rims or bigger you will need them to clear the front brakes.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...K-And-99-04-WJ

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...nt-Ball-Joints
Old 09-03-2015, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
And if you don't have 16 inch rims or bigger you will need them to clear the front brakes.
Some folks say 15s do fit, just not ALL 15 in. wheels.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When I did my WJ knuckles I ran 15" alloy wheels with 3 5/8" B.S.
No grinding required.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Big David
Since your XJ is not lifted, you can omit the steering part of it & just attach your stock steering to the lower arm on the WJ knuckle. When/ if you decide to lift it in the future, you can work out the hi steer then.
I'd really like to cross over steering tho if possible

Thanks frank! I'll be ordering some 16" wheels and shocks from you. Possibly the spicers too. Do you think I'd have issues with the track bar?
Old 09-03-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

15" works fine on mine with no grinding. Depends on the particular wheel being used. Mine are Pro Comp.

Quick Reply: Wj knuckle swap questions