Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which winch to get ?

Old 10-24-2014, 05:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl.
Default which winch to get ?

narrowed it down to a superwinch ts 9500 sr or the quadratec q 10000 c, ts $500 80' rope 59 lbs quad. $600 50' rope 55 lbs. what say you guys, any users of either one ? thx
Old 10-24-2014, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4L, 6 cylinder, 190 hp, 225 ft lp torque

Nope, sorry. How about a Harbor freight winch?
http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ake-61256.html
Old 10-24-2014, 06:21 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l h.o.
Default which winch to get

Harbor Freight for the $. 12,000 lbs/$300. How many times are you planning on using it?
Old 10-24-2014, 06:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Since you haven't given us the reasoning behind why you narrowed it down to the two you have, it's kind of hard to help you out.

Unless you plan on using it a lot, I think both your choices are overkill. An 8000# pound winch is plenty on an XJ. keep in mind, it's a unibody. Playing around with 10K and 12K winches can twist you XJ like a pretzel.

I have the Smittybilt XRC 8000 Comp with synthetic line. It's all I ever need. If 8000 pounds of grunt won't get you out, you need to slow down and rethink your recovery approach.

That being said, you can get the new Smittybilt 97496 XRC 9500 on Amazon for $318 with free shipping. I'm simply pointing it out becuase it comes with an amphibious motor housing, and an IP67 moisture/water rating, and a lifetime mechanical/5year electrical warranty.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

Originally Posted by macgyver35
Since you haven't given us the reasoning behind why you narrowed it down to the two you have, it's kind of hard to help you out.

Unless you plan on using it a lot, I think both your choices are overkill. An 8000# pound winch is plenty on an XJ. keep in mind, it's a unibody. Playing around with 10K and 12K winches can twist you XJ like a pretzel.

I have the Smittybilt XRC 8000 Comp with synthetic line. It's all I ever need. If 8000 pounds of grunt won't get you out, you need to slow down and rethink your recovery approach.

That being said, you can get the new Smittybilt 97496 XRC 9500 on Amazon for $318 with free shipping. I'm simply pointing it out becuase it comes with an amphibious motor housing, and an IP67 moisture/water rating, and a lifetime mechanical/5year electrical warranty.
picked these 2 because looking for really light weight one , will be mounting it on a plate w/ a receiver tube & quick disconnect cable hookup. attach it only when i go off road, dont want a 100 lb deal to pickup & carry w/ the little bit of a arm disability i have. i know the power is more than i need, but hard to find winches in the 50-60 lb range i need to have. iwould be fine w/ a 8 k winch, guess i will look some more.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 88

If your really considered about weight why not a 6k with a ****** block your at 12k but lose about 60% of rope but you should have another rope or strap just in case. If you need to use it. Pros and cons weight is probably half of a full size winch with everything. Not as strong motor, thin cable probably just as much as a full size winch.

Last edited by hbracing13; 10-24-2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by srb53150
picked these 2 because looking for really light weight one , will be mounting it on a plate w/ a receiver tube & quick disconnect cable hookup. attach it only when i go off road, dont want a 100 lb deal to pickup & carry w/ the little bit of a arm disability i have. i know the power is more than i need, but hard to find winches in the 50-60 lb range i need to have. iwould be fine w/ a 8 k winch, guess i will look some more.
Get the Smitty with the synthetic line. Just going from steel cable to synth shaves about 18 pounds off the whole assembly (assuming 75-90 foot of line).
Old 10-25-2014, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Ive never used either. The New smittybuilt water proof ones are nice... my father just got one when his Warn burnt up.

I personally have one a winch in a basket like what you are talking about. Quick connections front/rear in case I need it on either side. Keeps it out of the weather and I dont always have to carry it with me.

I bought myself and my grandfather both Engo E9000s with synthetic line for about 550 bucks total after my Runva winch died.. His is also in a basket and at 80, he can manage to take it on/off just fine. He's used it maybe 8 times, Ive used mine about 40 times including once where it drug my jeep through about 4" of snow for 5 miles and back. (Old neighbor lady passed out walking around in the woods- husband couldn't carry her/she couldn't walk). Needless to say, the Engos have served us well and the baskets work great! just get one with large handles on it (we use these ones- http://www.carid.com/t-max-winches/t...07oaAs1g8P8HAQ) ... makes it allot easier to lift it up and down... Kinda funny looking on the front of the jeep but all of em are.

Last edited by Ianf406; 10-25-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with one of the GEN2 smittybilt winches
Old 10-25-2014, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought my first winch with syn rope on it, turned out to be a bad idea the first time I used it the rope was all nicked and cut up from winching over a ledge with some rocks on it. I thought that it might have been a fluke and bought another syn rope for the winch. When on the trail next time a F-150 4x4 got stuck and I winched him out, while doing so the truck shifted to one side and the rope was against a tree. I thought no big deal and went ahead winching, when the first part of the rope that came into contact with the tree I saw that it had frayed the rope strands all the way till I stopped and re-hooked to get the truck around the tree.

When I got home this time I ordered wire rope for the winch and sold the old rope for a recovery one not used for a winch.

The Superwinch is your best choice as far as winch's go I have the Talon 9.5, they are waterproof I know for sure on that mine is in/under the water a lot. The other thing they have the best warranty of any winch made 2 yrs. all the others have 6 mo. to 1 year tops. I have been very well pleased with my winch but will never buy syn rope for one ever again. I guess if you wheeled in the desert or around large rounded rocks or mud they would be fine but my area just wasn't intended for them.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 10-25-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I bought my first winch with syn rope on it, turned out to be a bad idea the first time I used it the rope was all nicked and cut up from winching over a ledge with some rocks on it. I thought that it might have been a fluke and bought another syn rope for the winch. When on the trail next time a F-150 4x4 got stuck and I winched him out, while doing so the truck shifted to one side and the rope was against a tree. I thought no big deal and went ahead winching, when the first part of the rope that came into contact with the tree I saw that it had frayed the rope strands all the way till I stopped and re-hooked to get the truck around the tree.

When I got home this time I ordered wire rope for the winch and sold the old rope for a recovery one not used for a winch.

The Superwinch is your best choice as far as winch's go I have the Talon 9.5, they are waterproof I know for sure on that mine is in/under the water a lot. The other thing they have the best warranty of any winch made 2 yrs. all the others have 6 mo. to 1 year tops. I have been very well pleased with my winch but will never buy syn rope for one ever again. I guess if you wheeled in the desert or around large rounded rocks or mud they would be fine but my area just wasn't intended for them.
Ive always had great luck with synthetic. It doesn't rust, its lighter, it doesn't fray into sharp pieces, and if it did snap, it won't take out an eye/wind shield. Kind of like chain vs. strap. Certainly not as strong rubbing against objects though.. I just winch to my tow strap in situations like that. Or another jeep/tree. Im sure there a few scenarios where that would not work but hasent happened yet!

Pros/cons http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/12...ynthetic-rope/

And Engo has a lifetime warranty on mechanical, 1 yr on electrical.

Last edited by Ianf406; 10-25-2014 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I've worked with wire rope for many years and its very durable with any kind of care and the cost is reasonable neither can be said of the syn. rope, cost factor or durable. Lightweight means little to me as my winch is mounted to my bumper, I'm not carrying it around.

That winch you posted that you use was first time I had ever heard of it. How many years have they been business and who do you know that has used the (Lifetime Warranty) or any warranty?

I guess I'm just old and like doing business with established companies with a proven track record.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I've worked with wire rope for many years and its very durable with any kind of care and the cost is reasonable neither can be said of the syn. rope, cost factor or durable. Lightweight means little to me as my winch is mounted to my bumper, I'm not carrying it around.

That winch you posted that you use was first time I had ever heard of it. How many years have they been business and who do you know that has used the (Lifetime Warranty) or any warranty?

I guess I'm just old and like doing business with established companies with a proven track record.

I have also used both and will never go back to steel. No- more cutting my hands on burrs, no more tangled mess, no more worrying about loosing my head... Like all products, to each their own.

Engo has been around for about the same time as Smittybuilt/Quadratec etc. and like all winches are now, their internals are manufacture in China, assembled in America. They have great reviews and that is what I tend to base my purchases on. I save a little money here or there to buy expensive products elsewhere. Bought the IRO kit (which has been great), put the cash towards ARBs etc. Here is a shootout they did- http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/12...inch-shootout/ (clearly biased towards Warn when they "win" after failing on several of the tests. But good info nonetheless) You can have this debate about every product you buy from apples to TVs. I usually try to get the best product I can at the cheapest price and have yet to have many let me down.

Super winch does make a good winch. Back about 20 years ago when Warn/Ramsey dominated the marked, Tmax/Superwinch were the "cheap" ones. My dad threw a Superwinch on our Wagoneer XJ and it worked great for along time- all the way until I inherited it during high school and killed it.

I like the Engo and have been pleased with it so far. I probably use a winch much more than most people ever will.. I enjoy getting buried in mud/snow and pull tons of other people out every winter. We will see how it holds up long term. Definitely worth the cash. They go on sale for under 300$.

Last edited by Ianf406; 10-26-2014 at 03:32 PM.