Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what sub for my custom box ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6cyl W/ UPGRADE BOSH INJECTORS AND BORED THROTLE BODY
Default what sub for my custom box ????

hey so I am building this box and have no idea what will be a suitable quality sub for this box, I am thinking of going with a 10" sub......any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails what sub for my custom box ????-sub1.jpg   what sub for my custom box ????-sub2.jpg   what sub for my custom box ????-sub3.jpg   what sub for my custom box ????-sub4.jpg  
Old 05-04-2015, 03:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

You'll want to measure or calculate the volume of the enclosure to first narrow down the list of subs than can even work with that volume.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by mschi772
You'll want to measure or calculate the volume of the enclosure to first narrow down the list of subs than can even work with that volume.

I will figure it out tonight, will I want to do it to cubic inch of cubic foot?
Old 05-04-2015, 08:27 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Just eyeballing it looks like about 1.2 cubic feet to me, should be more than enough for a vast array of 10"s really if you keep it sealed. mschi772 is right on though, definitely get your measurements sorted.

What sort of price range? Also, what amp you working with?
Old 05-04-2015, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by OliverFendersOff
Just eyeballing it looks like about 1.2 cubic feet to me, should be more than enough for a vast array of 10"s really if you keep it sealed. mschi772 is right on though, definitely get your measurements sorted.

What sort of price range? Also, what amp you working with?

I came to 1.3 CF and funny you ask about the amp because that was my next question. I am going to get all new gear, one of those "connected" systems with the bluetuth, Pandora ect...new amp an speakers so im not gonna set a budget, I had a thought to take it to car toys and tell them to make it happen but that takes away from me and my project so I am gonna piece it together myself. im open to all suggestions........
Old 05-04-2015, 11:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

1.3 cubes is actually 12" sub territory.. most 10's are looking for .75ish

that said, it really does boil down to how much money you want to spend and how much gear you're trying to get. you can always buy the gear from car toys (I happen to work at the one in Everett) and install it yourself. or you can buy everything online. personally I like having a local shop I can go back to with problems or questions.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by uber
1.3 cubes is actually 12" sub territory.. most 10's are looking for .75ish that said, it really does boil down to how much money you want to spend and how much gear you're trying to get.
Bingo.

I started with 4 alpine speakers and an alpine headunit. They were great, but I always wanted more.I bought an alpine sub and amp in a ported box on Craigslist. It sounds great but it overpowered my speakers. I bought a special alpine amp that plugs in behind the headunit and boosts the speakers to 45w rms.

That's currently where I'm at, but it's still not enough.

Future plans include mounting nice tweeters and putting a real speaker amp in to push the 100w my speakers want. Also I want to ditch my ported box and get a sealed one.

As stated, it's as in depth as you want it to be.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

It's easy enough for him to shrink the volume of it for a 10 at this point by just putting a wall up somewhere to block-off part of the enclosure. And, for example, my Pioneer 10" Stage 4 sub (TS-W252PRS) require 1 cu ft, so there are 10's out there that need larger volumes, but my sub isn't exactly one for someone on a budget, either.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:00 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Renix

I am completely replacing my stock setup in my '89 when I get back home from England, I ended up around $800-$900 for amp/speakers/head unit/install gear/bit of sound dampening. That's with building a box very similar to yours but smaller, shoehorn a Sony XAV-68bt in the dash, four quality 5.25"s, an 8", amp, and a 19-23" computer monitor for the back. I would list out everything I chose but individual components seem to change about every other week due to chasing deals and I won't be buying until late this year anyway unless I come across a steal.

The one constant has been the sony unit due to the video res and formats it's capable of playing. My particular jeep build will be more for weekend camping excursions with the wife as opposed to the "hey let's go climb things, get stuck, and break stuff" variety.

Use crutchfield to get you started as their cart saves for ages and they list all the pertinent info of components, then search around for the best deals. Honestly, other than wiring, I think you've done the hardest chore already in building the box. Not a cop out as far as me not recommending parts, I just think it's worth it to read up on specs and the experiences of others along the way, plus you can really fine tune the parts selection based on what you aim to get out of the setup.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 174 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

If money is no object..

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1369211...rank17%5d10%22

Probably one of the most BA subs you can buy, and it's rated for 1.25 cu ft in a sealed box. Not cheap though.

Sometimes a used w7 will pop up on Craigslist.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:44 PM

Wow !!!!! Thats alot of info.....thanks guys i will be making choices and posting them soon. Thanks for all the help
Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Don't want to be that guy, but..... Laminated plywood is a poor choice of material for a sub box. After a little while the glue between the laminations will begin to breakdown due to the vibrations caused by the sub and start to buzz or rattle. 3/4" MDF is the best material it's dense as hell and wont break down. Other than the material that's a damn good looking box you got goin there.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by chipmaker
Don't want to be that guy, but..... Laminated plywood is a poor choice of material for a sub box. After a little while the glue between the laminations will begin to breakdown due to the vibrations caused by the sub and start to buzz or rattle. 3/4" MDF is the best material it's dense as hell and wont break down. Other than the material that's a damn good looking box you got goin there.

HAHAHAHA thanks chip!!!! I kinda thought the same thing so if anything and it does start sounding like crap I will have some practice for the next one.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hells Yeah!
Old 05-06-2015, 12:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My system is a Blaupunkt Toronto with Bluetooth, USB, SD card, etc. This pushes Polk db651's in the front doors, and db521's in the rear sound bar. FatMat on the door panels.

I have an 8" Pioneer shallow-mount (an upgrade from the prior Kicker 6.5) in a custom cubby enclosure I made. Pushing it is a Dual XPE2700 400 watt amp that fits perfectly under the front passenger seat.

Don't laugh at Dual. I have a lot of past experience putting in systems. I wasn't concerned with audiophole or SPL contest equipment. It's a Cherokee, not a Lambo. And this Dual amp is pretty good for what it costs, which is about $75 on Amazon. The whole system set me back less than $500.

Anyway, the Dual amp pushes the sub with plenty of kick, and has worked flawlessly for 3 years, even in Texas heat where it's normal in the summertime for the insides of parked cars to get over 155 degrees.

I have FatMat behind the sub enclosure on the rear quarter outer sheet metal. Later, when I replace the carpet and re-do the headliner, FatMat will be going there as well.

Everything sounds great, and I get compliments about it. I have a coworker with a new Grand Cherokee that has their high-end 9 or 11 speaker system ( I can't recall) and he says mine sounds better than his.

No, it won't play sub 40Hz notes very loudly, and it won't **** of the cars 100 feet in front of me, but it sounds great and was affordable. I listen to classic rock, oldies, Foo Fighters, Jack White, Kings of Leon, etc. and it rocks. The bass is nice and tight, and has a good musical transition to the other speakers. And best of all, with the way I made my box, it looks like it came from the factory that way.

My Kicker CompVT rear cubby sub install. See my thread here:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/re...nstall-133158/

Amazon.com: Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT World AM/FM/MW/RDS CD Receiver with iPod/iPhone Direct Control and Built-in Bluetooth: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT World AM/FM/MW/RDS CD Receiver with iPod/iPhone Direct Control and Built-in Bluetooth: Car Electronics

Quick Reply: what sub for my custom box ????