Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two part question seats fans

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Two part question seats fans

Looking for some help from you guys that have already done what I want/need to do. For these two projects, I really don't want rumors of how this MIGHT work, or "my buddy's dad did this or that". I'll be very appreciative for information based on "I did it this way on my XJ". Don't mean any disrespect to anyone, but I need to get moving on these, and can't afford to experiment, gotta get it right the first time.

1. Cooling fan. I'd like to eliminate the mechanical fan, and replace both it and the electric fan with one double electric unit. I'd plan to have one run full time, and the other controlled by a dash switch feeding a relay. I presently have the electric fan controlled manually, and it works out very well, but the old fan is getting pretty tired. Could use some experienced help here.

2. Front seats. Because I put on a lot of miles, (oh yes, it does go offroad too, and does very well at it) I'm weary of the el cheapo factory seats, and want to replace them with some real quality. Yes, I know the Grand Cherokee seats will bolt in, I don't want them. Something very comfortable and durable, maybe like BMW 325 chairs, or Ford Escape chairs, IF they're super comfortable for hours at a time. I don't presently have power, and don't need or want it. If you've installed some truly long haul seats and are satisfied with your results, then I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks gents, and best regards to all.
Bob
Old 05-28-2015, 07:43 PM

Year: 1989

You can fit three 10" fans with one of these shrouds. Wire 2 of them to come on at temp and 3rd on a switch.
http://dbmetalworx.com/#!/Jeep-chero...egory=13125360
Old 05-28-2015, 08:37 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

I'm running Mastercraft suspension seats and I can ride, and I beat the crap out of mine, all day long and these feel great. Depending on what brand and model you get you may be able to reuse your stock mounts with slight modification or just buy new mounts. I'm cheap so I modified mine till my cage is done and then they'll mount to it. Here's what mine look like. You can get reclining ones too but my harness bar made that pointless. I used to run the ricer racing seats which were fine for a few hours then they brought on the suck much like a stock seat.
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2015, 12:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

See if you have a local off road shop,Go there and sit in a few aftermarket seats see which one you like more.Seats are like shoes everyone has their own taste.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

I have a Comanche bench up front and that thing is comfy as hell, and I've been in it for hours at a time

as for fans, check out the taurus fan mod. very popular choice for a great variety of cars, not just jeeps
Old 05-29-2015, 08:11 AM

Year: 1989

If you're close to phx, check out BS Sand seats..
Old 05-29-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999

Dirt bound has a three fan shroud as as a whole kit that controls everything by temp.

http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/dirt...de-10-fan.html
Old 05-31-2015, 12:44 AM

Default Re: two part question

Thanks gents for the information. Y'all gave me something to work with, which is what I asked for. Appreciate the help.
Best to all,
Bob
Old 05-31-2015, 01:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

No fans gonna cool better than factory. Faster the engine the faster the fan. Theres a lot of installed electrial cooling fans now xj runs hot threads out there.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:10 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by azhobo
Thanks gents for the information. Y'all gave me something to work with, which is what I asked for. Appreciate the help.
Best to all,
Bob
Where are you in Arizona?
Old 05-31-2015, 12:55 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by azhobo
Looking for some help from you guys that have already done what I want/need to do. For these two projects, I really don't want rumors of how this MIGHT work, or "my buddy's dad did this or that". I'll be very appreciative for information based on "I did it this way on my XJ". Don't mean any disrespect to anyone, but I need to get moving on these, and can't afford to experiment, gotta get it right the first time. 1. Cooling fan. I'd like to eliminate the mechanical fan, and replace both it and the electric fan with one double electric unit. I'd plan to have one run full time, and the other controlled by a dash switch feeding a relay. I presently have the electric fan controlled manually, and it works out very well, but the old fan is getting pretty tired. Could use some experienced help here. 2. Front seats. Because I put on a lot of miles, (oh yes, it does go offroad too, and does very well at it) I'm weary of the el cheapo factory seats, and want to replace them with some real quality. Yes, I know the Grand Cherokee seats will bolt in, I don't want them. Something very comfortable and durable, maybe like BMW 325 chairs, or Ford Escape chairs, IF they're super comfortable for hours at a time. I don't presently have power, and don't need or want it. If you've installed some truly long haul seats and are satisfied with your results, then I'd like to hear from you. Thanks gents, and best regards to all. Bob
Be wary of aftermarket fans.
I did the 3 electrical fans on my 99 XJ. Worked great that first winter. Then summer came and I continually overheated. Went back to a new mechanical fan and a new electrical OE fan. Runny cool as can ben.

I guess what they say about the auto manufacturers is true. They didn't spend millions on engineering for nothing.

99 Cherokee Sport
RSWiser
Old 06-01-2015, 09:10 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Was wondering the same thing for the front seats.
I'm looking for reclining seats from a JY,but don't know which ones would be best.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by uber
I have a Comanche bench up front and that thing is comfy as hell, and I've been in it for hours at a time as for fans, check out the taurus fan mod. very popular choice for a great variety of cars, not just jeeps
are there any right ups on installing the Comanche bench? Either they aren't there or I'm not looking hard enough ( probably the second)
Old 08-01-2015, 04:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Taurus electric fan. Currently working on planning my own swap. Don't waste your money on aftermarket fans, they don't pull even close to anything that actually came in a car. Heck our own aux fan pulls more than any aftermarket fan you can buy that same size and quite a bit larger.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:00 PM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by pnw_xj
are there any right ups on installing the Comanche bench? Either they aren't there or I'm not looking hard enough ( probably the second)
plenty of write ups going the other way (buckets into a manche) but none that I could find going the other way.

I took a few pics and explained a little bit of it in my build thread (link in my sig) so you can go from there I suppose. it's towards the last couple pages in that thread.