Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Modified Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #1

View shade_tree's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default throttle valve or throttle valve cable?

Okay Guys bear with me on this cause it confuses me just trying to explain it.
My Jeep has been acting kinda weird as of late. In town she's fine and while accelerating she's fine. BUT when I start cruising anywhere around 60-70 I can cruise for 10-15 sometimes 30 miles and its fine, then all of the sudden it will act as if I'm pressing on the throttle and the rpm's jump up a little(like from 2000 to 2400). i know it doesn't sound like much but when it does this i can feel it shift, kinda like the tranny is coming out of OD.
When these symptoms first started I thought, time to change the fluid and filter. Since it had been about 20k since the last one. Everything still looks brand new under the pan.
When it does this I can play with the t.v. cable and drive it for another 10-30 miles and it's nicest jeep I've ever rode in and then after a few bumps and hills its right back to where it was.
I should also mention throttle position has a little to do with this issue. When the throttle jumps up I'm only pressing on the throttle like an inch and when I press back into the throttle it goes back into OD the rpm's go back down a lil and it starts accelerating.
Sounds weird right? I'm open to any suggestions. I'm lost. i just ordered the TV cable from the dealer at 55 bucks so that's not as bad as i thought it was gonna be.
oh i about forgot specs

1996 Cherokee sport
Asian Warner trans

and the only code I'm throwing is a coil code but that's because i put a complete msd system on it and the factory stuff is unhooked

thanks in advance everyone
shade_tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
CF Veteran

View freegdr's Photo Album My Photos
1989 xj sport 2dr Cherokee

id try adjusting the cable see if it helps search detent cable adjustment ,its simple to do
Old 09-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
CF Veteran

View 93gc40's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

What size tires????
When was trans serviced last?
Quit Playing with th TPS cable setting, adjust it.. Stop stomping on the gas pedal or flooring it, it knocks the TPS out of adjustment.
Could be a solenoid starting to fail.
Could be torque converter kicking out also.

The JunkYard, Walmart for Jeeps.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #4

Cherokee

31 10.5 r15 i did a fluid and filter change about 3 weeks ago and i adjusted the TV cable to the Haynes manual specs. At first i adjusted the the cable like it was a Chevy.. i know I'll prolly get flamed on a lil for that. but then i found the right way to adjust it and that's how its been set. if it was the solenoid wouldn't it throw a code?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #5

Cherokee

oh and my tps doesn't have a adjustment it only goes on one way and its new also

Last edited by shade_tree; 09-30-2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:53 AM   #6

Cherokee

Ok so it was the tv cable replaced and adjusted it now out runs great. And if I can't ever stomp the has there isn't any since keepin it around.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:53 AM

submit to reddit