Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stroker

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6 4.0L
Default Stroker

I read on another forum that a 4.7 stroker doesn't really offer any additional pick up or speed, just low end torque for rock crawling and things like that. I wanted to do a rather big project on my cherokee to increase overall power, torque, and horsepower, for increased speed and pick up and off road performance. However, I don't really want to go the forced intake route. Anyway, a 4.7 stroker...better pick up? More speed? Also, the 4.0s are famous for being bulletproof and lasting forever, will a 4.7 stroker from the same engine be just as reliable, or will the extra displacement put so much stress on the engine that it shortens it's life?
Thanks guys.
Slowly learning.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.6 I6

Do some light browsing around on here.

https://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/
Old 05-28-2016, 12:50 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Bucaslaker
I read on another forum that a 4.7 stroker doesn't really offer any additional pick up or speed, just low end torque for rock crawling and things like that. I wanted to do a rather big project on my cherokee to increase overall power, torque, and horsepower, for increased speed and pick up and off road performance. However, I don't really want to go the forced intake route. Anyway, a 4.7 stroker...better pick up? More speed? Also, the 4.0s are famous for being bulletproof and lasting forever, will a 4.7 stroker from the same engine be just as reliable, or will the extra displacement put so much stress on the engine that it shortens it's life?
Thanks guys.
Slowly learning.
I have a 4.6...a little peppier, but speed? NO. Good pickup off the line, but top speed is not great, but, I run 35's and 4.88's...didn't want a stroker for top speed or off the line launches, though.

The extra displacement will shorten the lifespan of the engine. But, it's all about how you drive it and maintain it. Treat it with respect, and you'll get a lot of good use from it, just don't expect a modified engine to have the life expectancy of a stocker.

I love my stroker. But realize it isn't for everyone. You'll most likely need to run premium fuel, so keep that in mind. As stated, it won't last as a stocker will, but baby it and it should give you a lot of great miles. It is torque-y as a mother, and a killer in the dirt. On the street, I drive like grandma anyways.

Originally Posted by shooptube
Do some light browsing around on here.

https://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/
Excellent link. Highly recommend. TY shoop
Old 05-28-2016, 02:35 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

You want fast? Drop in a Chevy small block and a supercharger
Old 05-28-2016, 10:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

For what your after an engine swap is what is required, lots of good options for it. But if you want a rock solid 4.0 keep it stock and enjoy all it has to offer that other engines only wish they had.

Keep in mind also the kind of frame it has when considering a swap.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.6 I6

Originally Posted by roninofako
Excellent link. Highly recommend. TY shoop
Here to help

Originally Posted by askingxforxit
You want fast? Drop in a Chevy small block and a supercharger
This. Personally I am doing the supercharger for extra off road power but will work for both options.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

To be honest an engine swap is very comprehensive if you look into it. Unless you or your friends have the skills and tools required to complete the swap then I wouldn't choose that route. Don't get me wrong an engine swap will provide you with the power you want but it takes a bit of fabrication. A stroker is nice and gives you more torque. You might see 15 to 20 horsepower increase over stock with a stroker and freer flowing exhaust based on dyno sheets posted on JeepStrokers. I have a 4.6 poor mans build and i'm really enjoying the extra little power it has over stock. For all that I have in it though (around $3500 for machining and parts) I could have bought a stock or stroker crate engine. Forced induction isn't as complicated as you think. Look up m62 and m90 swaps into cherokees. See if that route is for you. It takes some fine tuning and extra parts to keep up with fuel consumption, but from what I've heard a lot of people enjoy having a supercharger.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:38 PM

It's not that in against charging or think it's too complicated really, it's just that I heard forced air induction his very hard on a motor. And I didn't want old Chief to die quicker than he's got to.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:41 PM

Also, a swap sounded good to me at first but aren't V8s much less dependable motors? And don't they wear out a lot faster?
Old 05-28-2016, 07:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci

Also, a swap sounded good to me at first but aren't V8s much less dependable motors? And don't they wear out a lot faster?

My stock 5.2L V8 has 220,000 miles.
Fires up and runs like a tank. It does leak 1qt of oil/3000miles, but thats perfect for an oil change. Besides, its an easy enough gasket job to fix that.

And i dont want you to just skip past what i said.... 220,000 miles!

Definitley not a weaker engine.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9L 360 ci

Also, a swap to another Jeep engine, will likely be as difficult as any other small block. Just do your shopping, and pick the best one(i.e. best results from other Jeepsters swaps.)
Old 05-28-2016, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by Hayden98XJ
You might see 15 to 20 horsepower increase over stock with a stroker and freer flowing exhaust based on dyno sheets posted on JeepStrokers.
I have a Golen stroker in mine that I had broken in on the engine dyno. It topped out at 274 hp and 321 lb ft of torque on the dyno sheet. The stock motor was rated for 190/225. My math tells me that 84 hp > 20 hp on the gain.

It's not a Corvette, but it's a lot livelier than stock.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by extrashaky
I have a Golen stroker in mine that I had broken in on the engine dyno. It topped out at 274 hp and 321 lb ft of torque on the dyno sheet. The stock motor was rated for 190/225. My math tells me that 84 hp > 20 hp on the gain.

It's not a Corvette, but it's a lot livelier than stock.
this. I don't see why nearly 100hp gain couldn't come from a 4 liter engine only making 190hp from the get go. with the newer head designs and aftermarket headers I feel like a near 5 liter engine better damn well make 300 hp and even more tq.

edit: can you post up that dyno sheet?
Old 05-28-2016, 09:08 PM

I've been running around on the Internet since I last updated here looking at superchargers. Can anyone give me assurance that all that extra cramming won't blow my engine up? Also, where the heck do i even get a supercharger kit? I've looked online and can't find one. At least not for my 4.0. Halp
Old 05-28-2016, 09:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

I've been running around on the Internet since I last updated here looking at superchargers. Can anyone give me assurance that all that extra cramming won't blow my engine up? Also, where the heck do i even get a supercharger kit? I've looked online and can't find one. At least not for my 4.0. Halp
5-6 pounds boost will be just as reliable as your engine currently is reliable. It will add +60 rear wheel HP and +70 rear wheel TQ.

Quick Reply: Stroker