Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SOP Long Arm Bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 02:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default SOP Long Arm Bushings?

Hi, this might sound like a dumb question, but I have some serious offroad products long arms on this 98 sport I just bought, and the bushings are completely ovaled out. Does anyone know what size bushings I need? For the heims, do I just completely replace them, and if so, where can I find the correct size/thread? Do these arms just use stock bushings? Flex/Johnny Joints? Here's a picture for reference, this is the only picture of my setup with the same crossmember I could find, since I haven't been able to get under yet and take my own:

And before you ask, yes I googled and searched the forums. It's been hard to find any info on these arms since SOP's website doesn't tell me much about the specs. The only way I found any info was identifying the correct crossmember in a google image search. Your help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Why not simply ask the guy that built the kit?
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com/contact-us

From my site;
We use massive Teraflex large joints on the lowers and TeraFlex medium joints for the uppers. These joints are incredibly strong and rebuildable.

Included are new OEM style lower control arm bushings to cut down on vibrations and road noise while maintaining incredible axle articulation, and you don't even need to press them in because we've taken care of that for you. The upper arms mate to your stock upper control arm bushings and are easy to adjust for the perfect caster and pinion angles.
A few links for you.
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...int-Repair-Kit

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...int-Repair-Kit

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...420_1190_1475&
Old 07-29-2015, 06:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Engine: 4.0

^^^^^^^ Yeah. Why not ask the guy who built it?
Old 07-29-2015, 08:17 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Since his (and my LA's) use the factor rubber bushing in the bottom, any replacement with OE fitment should work. I personally will never go back to rubber, polyurethane lasts just as long and feel way tighter. The rubber ones are much cheaper though. Take it from me though, you will need a press to remove the rubber ones.... I tried everything from the bench vise to burning them out to beating on them for ever. After 5 hours, 1 finally came out. Took me about 5 minutes to take both out and put the new ones in with a press.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:33 PM

Oh, haha I forgot that a lot of the vendors are on CF, I should have just PMed you. Literally just bought the Heep yesterday. I'll check out those links. thanks

EDIT: Here are some pictures I was able to take. Can't believe I didn't check for an SYE before but w/e a hack and tap is like a hundred bucks.

Frank, someone told me you might be familiar with the jeep that they're on as well...

Last edited by ddurgin91; 07-29-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:06 PM

Do you guys offer poly bushings for the axle side? I know I can get them from any parts store but I'd rather get them from the guy who made them for obvious reasons. This will be a trail rig like 75% of the time so I don't care about squeaks. Also, will currie flex joints work? I have heard of the teraflex ones wearing out just a couple months after a rebuild.

Last edited by ddurgin91; 07-29-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:44 PM
CF Veteran

No, the currie joints are too short. Just get the TeraFlex one's I linked to.

I do not recommend poly bushings. I ran the same set of OEM style bushings for many, many years without any issues at all. Same for my son's old XJ....and just about everyone else that has a set of my L/A's.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Not to argue but have you ever tried poly bushings? After 6 Jeeps, it is almost always the first thing I do now. After a cold winter or two here (and I would think there) and the rubber ones are toast. The poly stay tight (no movement to allow for center pin to wallow on bolt) for much much longer.

I also have poly motor mounts/transmission mounts/sway bar mounts etc. Never had a problem with em.

I have had people tell me plenty of times that poly will be too rough or that they will get destroyed easily but that has not been the case for me.

To the OP, be glad Serious Offroads come with the Terraflex ones. My IRO kit came with Rubicon Express joints and they only last about a year before I have to rebuild them... with their design, you have to lubricate them after every time you hit a water puddle. The grease just washes right out of them.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ianf406
Not to argue but have you ever tried poly bushings? After 6 Jeeps, it is almost always the first thing I do now. After a cold winter or two here (and I would think there) and the rubber ones are toast. The poly stay tight (no movement to allow for center pin to wallow on bolt) for much much longer.

I also have poly motor mounts/transmission mounts/sway bar mounts etc. Never had a problem with em.

I have had people tell me plenty of times that poly will be too rough or that they will get destroyed easily but that has not been the case for me.

To the OP, be glad Serious Offroads come with the Terraflex ones. My IRO kit came with Rubicon Express joints and they only last about a year before I have to rebuild them... with their design, you have to lubricate them after every time you hit a water puddle. The grease just washes right out of them.
I hear ya, I'll go with the rubber ones since they come recommended. They should be okay since this rig only gets wheeled a couple times a month and driven to work 1-2 days a week. I'm also in southern California so there's not any huge temperature difference to worry about weakening the bushings.

Do I have to use that tool to rebuild them that costs as much as one of the joints? Or is it possible to use shop tools to do it? I'd hate to pay $20-30 for something I'm only going to use once.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:18 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ianf406

Yep, went back to OE style after a week.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

I've used a big c-clamp and a couple sockets.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:39 PM

Cool, I'll be doing the joints this weekend hopefully, so I'll update this thread later. Thanks for the help man it always helps to go straight to the source so to speak lol