Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slanted/sideways coil spring

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default slanted/sideways coil spring

my coil spring on my drivers side seems to be "slanted" the bottom part of the coil on the axle seems to be further out (towards the outside of the axle) than the upper mount. its very slight, but definitely noticeable. its hard to tell in pictures. the only possibility i can think of is that the spring is bent, but they're only about a year old and it doesn't seem likely. the only reason for my complain, is that the sway bar end link on the same side is slanted diagonally at the same pitch as the coil spring. The outside of my tires (35 MTZ) are wearing more than the inside of my tires. My tires are new and i dont want to screw them up. The tire problem could be my alignment and not be related to the spring t all. i just want to see if anyone knows what could be going on. 6.5" iron rock offroad springs if that matters. iron rock long arms. stock low pinion dana 30.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Have you centered the axle under the front end by adjusting the trackbar. If the axle was offset it would look like that?
Old 09-15-2015, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

everything seems to be centered. track bar has been adjusted. it seems to me that if the axle wasn't centered, both springs would be bent/slanted/crooked someway. but when i measure, the passenger side coil is perfectly straight up and down, and the driver side is the only one slanted. I'm thinking it may be a bent spring. I'm waiting for a reply from iron rock
Old 09-15-2015, 08:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by mitchbacon12
everything seems to be centered. track bar has been adjusted. it seems to me that if the axle wasn't centered, both springs would be bent/slanted/crooked someway. but when i measure, the passenger side coil is perfectly straight up and down, and the driver side is the only one slanted. I'm thinking it may be a bent spring. I'm waiting for a reply from iron rock
Even if the spring was bent it would get pushed back into place because the perches would be vertical.