Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously considering doing this...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Seriously considering doing this...

I am researching all I can about CFM Etc. and seriously considering doing this!

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forced-...ort-xj-117426/

Are there any threads here on the subject you could point me towards? Has anyone here done it yet?

Fabricating the Exhaust and Intake tubing is no problem on my end. I am curious about proper CFM compression ratios and any other issues I need to address from the start. I would of course keep it under 8lbs to not stress the stock engine too much.

I could use all the input I can get with this idea before rounding up the Turbo and starting the project. Please? any suggestions or warnings from this community would be very appreciated!
Old 08-14-2015, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Seriously considering doing this...

Banks makes a turbo kit for the tj. Might be able to use that for inspiration?
Old 08-14-2015, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this guy did a pretty extensive write up and also make a low mount turbo manifold for the 4.0L

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1031285
Old 08-14-2015, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Default Absolutely!

Originally Posted by toasterknight
Banks makes a turbo kit for the tj. Might be able to use that for inspiration?

Thank you! I need to study all I can and cover all the bases before even starting the project. All reference sources are much appreciated!
Old 08-14-2015, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Default Right on!

Originally Posted by s14unimog
this guy did a pretty extensive write up and also make a low mount turbo manifold for the 4.0L

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1031285

Thank you very much, I need all the input I can get! For sure someone is going to mention something I had not thought of! lol
Old 08-14-2015, 01:15 PM

Year: 2001

I think the tuning solutions are solid but the turbo builds I have seen leave something to be desired. For example, the wastegate placement on the build on NAXJA is less than ideal. I turbocharge everything I own so of course being a new Jeep owner I am already thinking of it

The only input I can offer on a custom setup is that proper, prior, planning is key. Tuning and heat management (especially with the IM right above the turbo manifold) are very important but most importantly turbo choice is key. Borg Warner and Garret have calculators to help you choose the right turbo for the application. Lastly, you need enough fuel and proper spark. But with dedication to the project you can surely build a great setup.

Last edited by 9krpmrx8; 08-14-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:24 PM

This thread has the most recent updates.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...059015&page=11
Old 08-15-2015, 04:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.boostwerksengineering.com...ents_c_10.html has a turbo manifold But i would sit down and make a list of everything you need and the prices.And do not buy a cheap knock off turbos,wastegates or bov from ebay those will come back to bit you in the end.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:49 AM
CF Veteran

Default Fantastic!

Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8
I think the tuning solutions are solid but the turbo builds I have seen leave something to be desired. For example, the wastegate placement on the build on NAXJA is less than ideal. I turbocharge everything I own so of course being a new Jeep owner I am already thinking of it

The only input I can offer on a custom setup is that proper, prior, planning is key. Tuning and heat management (especially with the IM right above the turbo manifold) are very important but most importantly turbo choice is key. Borg Warner and Garret have calculators to help you choose the right turbo for the application. Lastly, you need enough fuel and proper spark. But with dedication to the project you can surely build a great setup.
If you start on yours please share what you run into. From what I see a lot of them do not have aftercoolers. I'm wondering how advantageous it would be to figure out how to pipe in an aftercooler? It looks like I have room to run the turbo fresh output up to an aftercooler on the driver's side and then pipe it back over the engine from the passenger side through a "Flattened pipe". A little tight on the passenger side though. Would it even be worth the extra effort?

In the article link I posted, the guy that did this claims stock engine management will work fine if we keep it under 8lbs of boost. But of course this is when you find it does not and have to regroup. lol
Old 08-15-2015, 09:31 AM

An air to air intercooler is a must for a turbo application like this. Water to air intercoolers just heat soak too bad and are inefficient for this type of use.
Old 08-15-2015, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Default I agree!

Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8
An air to air intercooler is a must for a turbo application like this. Water to air intercoolers just heat soak too bad and are inefficient for this type of use.
I absolutely agree with you on that one. Why add more heat to your engine cooling system with a charge air cooler. And I think the coolant at 210 degrees might actually heat the intake air to a temp higher than it might normally be in a lot of lower load operating conditions?

Here's what I am making an effort to figure out to start with. I have a 94 3500 Ram with the 5.9 12 Valve Cummins. They matched the output CFM of the Turbo with the Engine intake CFM so well that the boost pressure hose to the wastegate is capped off on both ends from the factory! It does not even use it and it is not a Variable Geometry system!

I wonder if I could do the same thing with this 4.0? Carefully match the turbo so that it has a percentage less CFM output than the engine pulls at all RPMs and load conditions thus eliminating any need for a wastegate at all? The throttle body should spool it back down quick enough using back pressure right?

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 08-15-2015 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Terminology correction
Old 08-15-2015, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The other option is a chemical intercooler aka methanol injection.But unless down the line you want to rebuild the engine to handle boost i would spend the money on a v8 swap.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:05 AM
CF Veteran

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
The other option is a chemical intercooler aka methanol injection.But unless down the line you want to rebuild the engine to handle boost i would spend the money on a v8 swap.

I had not considered these options, Unfortunately they may not be practical for my intentions with this project. I'm not trying to double my horsepower output, just trying to take advantage of a mild increase using a currently wasted source of free power like Chrysler ended up doing with the little passenger car 2.2 liter.

The days of trying to snap drivelines are now past me, know what I mean?

I went and read the Write up you linked to in your previous reply, It was great! I learned quite a bit from it!

Very much appreciate the input, every bit helps! Thanks again!

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 08-16-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:10 AM
jmg

what are you building the jeep for? If for offroading, the turbo is going to give you power at all the wrong rpms.

Spend the money on a stroker kit. It'll be easier, there's tons of after market support, and you'll see more power at all points in the curve.

There's no short cuts to power. stroking the 4.0 is hands down the bewst bang for the buck (I replaced my 4.0 with a chevy 350, if I was going to do it all over again, I'd go with a stroker)
Old 08-16-2015, 12:35 PM

A stroked engine is cool but a properly sized turbo will spool immediately and you will have usable torque from the get and all thru the power band. Now yes, throwing a large turbo on it would not be advisable.

Methanol would be cool but it's benefist may be minimal in this application. For this type of application a good quality intercooler (Spearco, etc. not a cheapy unit) with an intercooler sprayer, would be best.

Quick Reply: Seriously considering doing this...