Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear locker for a dd

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 03:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default rear locker for a dd

would like to know suggestions for a dual use locker for the rear with out going broke, and being able to have use for daily driving in the winter. 99 xj 8.25 rear 29 spline.
The following users liked this post:
xjgary83 (05-16-2022)
Old 10-06-2015, 03:12 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L HO

An auto locker is not really what you want for winter driving:

Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ
The only thing bad about auto lockers while driving on snow and ice is that snow and ice is a slippery surface therefore your lockers will most likely stay locked all the time...even while in a turn. Because that is how auto lockers work. If you don't have wheels moving at different speeds while on a dry surface, (like in a turn situation) your auto lockers will not unlock. If you have a front locker this can cause the vehicle to push (continue to go straight with front wheels turned) if you have become too overconfident and are driving too fast for the snowy and icey road conditions. The biggest problem is that lockers will allow an inexperienced person the traction to take off faster in snow and ice. What these inexperienced people usually don't realize until it's too late is that your cool new lockers will not allow your rig to corner or stop any better than any other vehicle in snow and ice when driving too fast for the snowy and icey road conditions. In short there is no locker that is bad for snow and ice. What is bad is the people who think locking differentials in their cool new Mall Crawler SUV give them the ability to drive at normal road or highway speeds in snow and ice.
That's the clearest explanation I've come across.
From my limited knowledge on the subject I'd say you'd be better off with good snow/all season tires or a selectable locker than an auto like a detroit.

Last edited by ddurgin91; 10-06-2015 at 03:14 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Depends how much snow your gonna see on which way you should go.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Engine: 4.0

If you have an automatic trans, auto lockers seem to be okay in the rear. I have one with a manual and it's, uh, okay. In the snow, you can either be safe or very stupid - it's all how you want to drive.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

I drove around for years with a lock rite lunch box locker in the 35 in my TJ with 33's on it. I never had any problems in the snow. It is all about how you drive if you are the type of person that has the pedal to the metal in the snow and needs to go 70 mph then don't get one. If you can drive in snow at a steady pace and keep your speed at bay then get one there is a difference and you will notice it. I only had one bad day in the snow with the locker right after I put it in. I was cocky and did not think I needed 4x4 for the flat snow covered road I was on. I ended up in a ditch up against a telephone pole. The use of a locker will not void the use of 4x4 in snow it will help as long as you know how it will act at different speeds. It will still ratchet going around turns as long as you are not hammering the gas.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a spartan locker in my jeep and i have zero issues in rain or snow, just dont go flooring it in a curve! If money isnt a problem then i would suggest an air locker or electric.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Default Just respect inertia

It boils down to keeping the basic principle of inertia in mind while driving it. I have a Bronco II that is spooled in full posi front and rear and never had any trouble driving it on ice or snow as long as I respected inertia. I have driven Semi tractor trailers with full lockers on the eight rear drive tires in ice and snow without any issues as long as I respected inertia.

Disclaimer: Never spool a front axle without locking hubs
Old 10-06-2015, 05:46 PM

Year: 92

I have an aussie locker in my 30 hybrid. Drove around for a couple weeks with the hubs locked in. Had no issues with rain. I'm getting ready to put another aussie in my 8.8. I've had a 5 speed S10 with a lock rite in the rear for years. Bent the rear axle last year and replaced with an open 8.8. Miss having the lunchbox in it. Never a problem whether it's been snow, ice or rain. Just have to learn the characteristics and drive accordingly.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I run Detroit Lockers in both of my differentials 99 D30/Chy 8.25 and have no issues in the snow or ice, it all boils down to knowing how to drive with them.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I run Detroit Lockers in both of my differentials 99 D30/Chy 8.25 and have no issues in the snow or ice, it all boils down to knowing how to drive with them.
thanks for the replies everyone. I think running one in the front is what I stick with this year. what is a good budget selectable rear locker?
Old 10-07-2015, 02:54 PM

Year: 1997

If you have a 242 I don't recommend it. If you have a 231 then an Aussie locker. You can put it in with a 242 but the full time AWD will give you fits.

See below for the Aussie.

http://www.aussielocker.com/index.ph...-xd-13027.html
Old 10-07-2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by *The Dude*
If you have a 242 I don't recommend it. If you have a 231 then an Aussie locker. You can put it in with a 242 but the full time AWD will give you fits.

See below for the Aussie.

http://www.aussielocker.com/index.ph...-xd-13027.html
how do I tell which version I have?
Old 10-08-2015, 06:33 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Originally Posted by omnious
how do I tell which version I have?
On the selector...
242- 2WD, 4PART-TIME, 4FULL-TIME, N, 4LO
231- 2H, 4H, N, 4L
Or you can crawl underneath and clean/read the tag.

I personally love the ARB I have now and have had auto lockers in the past. If you get as much snow/ice as we do here and for as long, auto lockers become a challenge. Yes you can "get used to it" but road conditions are constantly changing as you move down the road and having them lock up sporadically sucks. Don't be caught daydreaming or something, you'll end up in a ditch . Plenty of people use them in snow and ice but it is not the ideal situation by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by Ianf406; 10-08-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998

There is no such thing as a "Budget Selectable Locker", They all are $850-1000, the air operated ones need a compressor additional, and the other need a cable which is additional $$$$. On top of this all selectable's require having your gears setup again, unlike a LOKKA, SPARTAN, or AUSSIE Lunchbox locker that just replaces the spider gears.

PS: I live in Florida now, but grew up driving in Chicago snow, I think the only issue with a rear locker is when you go around the corner and spin the wheels with too much gas, it is then easier to spin out.... but that is only if you aren't smart enough to get off the gas and maybe feather it a little at most.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Budget is a very subjective term.
Perhaps the better question is "What is the best bang for the buck selectable locker?"

and the answer is....
Eaton Elocker

Quick Reply: rear locker for a dd