Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radiator issues...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default radiator issues...

hey yall, so this weekend i decided to overhaul the cooling system, i installed a gpd hiflow water pump, gpd fan clutch, gpd e-fan and a champion 2 row aluminum radiator. drove the jeep to work today and it actually stayed below 210... on the way home from work in heavy traffic it stayed under 210. so the problem begins when i pulled into the neighborhood at a stop sign... i took off and instantly heard faint rubbing and then steam from under the hood. last time this happened was with a csf 3 row radiator almsot imediately after i installed a rc longarm kit 4 yrs ago. i put a cheapo radiator in it then and just took it out 4 yrs later. the engine mounts and trans mount appear to be good. i guess with the tc drop of the cross member and the thick radiator the factory fan clutch is just to close with engine torque. has anyone else ran into this issue????? im thinking about doing the champion radiator, aluminum shroud and 3 fan set up to resolve this issue. will 1950 total cfm be enough to keep the xj cool????? the fans look pretty robust compared to the obviously cheap fans. what are yll doing for thermostat?
thanks!
Old 10-20-2016, 08:16 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by jebmccall
hey yall, so this weekend i decided to overhaul the cooling system, i installed a gpd hiflow water pump, gpd fan clutch, gpd e-fan and a champion 2 row aluminum radiator. drove the jeep to work today and it actually stayed below 210... on the way home from work in heavy traffic it stayed under 210. so the problem begins when i pulled into the neighborhood at a stop sign... i took off and instantly heard faint rubbing and then steam from under the hood. last time this happened was with a csf 3 row radiator almsot imediately after i installed a rc longarm kit 4 yrs ago. i put a cheapo radiator in it then and just took it out 4 yrs later. the engine mounts and trans mount appear to be good. i guess with the tc drop of the cross member and the thick radiator the factory fan clutch is just to close with engine torque. has anyone else ran into this issue????? im thinking about doing the champion radiator, aluminum shroud and 3 fan set up to resolve this issue. will 1950 total cfm be enough to keep the xj cool????? the fans look pretty robust compared to the obviously cheap fans. what are yll doing for thermostat?
thanks!
I guess my first thought is that it looks like you tried to do things right with some good parts, but why the TC drop instead of a SYE?

I think this should be the way to go instead of trying to band-aid other things to compensate.

Just my .02 cents worth.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If the fan hit the radiator its probably your t case drop/worse or motor and tans mounts.With a t case drop you lower the t case down which changes the angle on the trans and engine.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

yeah i believe rough country builds a drop into their longarm crossmember so not much i can do about removing it. i was just curious if anyone else has ran into this issue with this lift and a thick radiator. i ordered up some new rustys engine mounts and am going to redrill my upper core support about a .25-.5in closer to the front and grind the fins down on the fan clutch.