Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

push button igntion (no key)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default push button igntion (no key)

Hello, I have a 96 xj and I think my Ignition Lock/switch are going bad. When i turn the key as long as i hold it in the start position it will run, my heater fan ect wont turn on the engine just runs, but as soon as i let off the key it dies. Im going to look to see if the wires might be bad (its not a tilt wheel) and if the wires look ok i dont have the money to buy the parts i need right now so i was wanting to just bypass this system and intsall a two switch system, a switch for run/off and a push button for the starter. I have a haynes manual and it has the wireing diagram but im not really sure what im doing was just looking for some input. Also while i have this all apart i see that the turn signal is in the same area.. my turn signals dont shut off when i turn would i be able to fix that problem while i have this all tore apart?

Thanks in advance,

Will
Old 01-27-2011, 10:51 AM

I'm in the same boat. Exact same symptoms. 1996 XJ. It runs as long as the key is held forward. $80 For replacement switch and it will take 4 days to get to the store. Salvage yards wont sell just the switch. Meanwhile my jeep is in some dude's driveway 20 miles from home.

Any help would be appreciated.

Josh
Old 01-27-2011, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

you would need on switch that gave power, and push button that starter the starter
Old 01-27-2011, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Willmafingerdo
Hello, I have a 96 xj and I think my Ignition Lock/switch are going bad. When i turn the key as long as i hold it in the start position it will run, my heater fan ect wont turn on the engine just runs, but as soon as i let off the key it dies. Im going to look to see if the wires might be bad (its not a tilt wheel) and if the wires look ok i dont have the money to buy the parts i need right now so i was wanting to just bypass this system and intsall a two switch system, a switch for run/off and a push button for the starter. I have a haynes manual and it has the wireing diagram but im not really sure what im doing was just looking for some input. Also while i have this all apart i see that the turn signal is in the same area.. my turn signals dont shut off when i turn would i be able to fix that problem while i have this all tore apart?

Thanks in advance,

Will
Sorry i dont got info for your key, but as for the turn signal, there are 2 springs that connect the two white plastic pieces that move up and down for your signals. I just tore mine apart to change turn signal lever and i replaced the springs. works like a charm hopefully you have the same steering column. i dunno if 96 has the same as 92. If so, go to o'reily auto parts and look at their gm column stuff and you'll find the springs. they might even have a switch for you
Old 01-28-2011, 11:29 AM

Year: 1991

I have thought about doing this as well. Not because I am having any problems, just for uniqueness. I am thinking about removing the key switch completely. Maybe a NASCAR-style ignition.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:06 PM

I thought this was interesting, and don't think it would be very difficult to wire:

Old 01-28-2011, 01:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Doubt it would be very difficult to wire. But what happens if someone breaks into your car? Push two buttons, and drive away with it.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by SteelBlue99
Doubt it would be very difficult to wire. But what happens if someone breaks into your car? Push two buttons, and drive away with it.
Unless you have a hidden kill switch.

They are super popular on older muscle cars, race/street cars, and convertables that have knowledgable owners.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Unless you have a hidden kill switch.

They are super popular on older muscle cars, race/street cars, and convertables that have knowledgable owners.
Very true. Well, IMO that'd be too much of a hassle for a DD. I'd rather just have a key.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: Check

I ran into a similar prediciment with my hood release cable.

My setup was garbage, and hacked up by the PO to make it "work". He failed in doing so.

I found out getting a set of hood pins and drilling the holes was more cost effective and cooler looking than screwing around with the factory setup.

I'm not sure what exactly is wrong with the OPs ignition switch, but depending on how much work is involved, maybe tearing apart the steering column, it may be less work to do the aftermarket crap.

But I have no idea. Don't know whats wrong with the truck.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Very true. Well, IMO that'd be too much of a hassle for a DD. I'd rather just have a key.
I don't disagree, but I was looking at the "cool" factor. People do all kinds of things that have nothing to do with utility.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:45 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

I've been thinking about doing this as well.. it wouldn't matter if I had a key for my jeep or not seeing as you don't need one to start my old lady.. a button would be far more interesting IMO
Old 02-02-2011, 05:29 AM

Thumbs up

Mine has a start button and toggles. I never worry about it because there are some many different switches for lights and all in there and none are labeled. Plus the start button is just one of those cheapo Autozone "horn" buttons. It's not a common thing to see in cars so a car thief is not going to know what to go in for right off. That, and Nobody thats in a hurry to steal it is going to figure out what goes to what fast enough before being noticed by someone. Mine has a locking steering column too, so even if they did manage to start it, the wheel will still be locked.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:17 AM

Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by CaptHowdy
. Mine has a locking steering column too, so even if they did manage to start it, the wheel will still be locked.
that right there is the end all.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 96
Engine: 6 cylinder

I am thinking about adding this also but I will just buy the switches from autozone, with a kill switch to the starter or fuel pump. I lose my keys all the time. I have a locking steering wheel too, how would I go about disabling the locking device

Quick Reply: push button igntion (no key)