Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Modified Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Closed Thread

submit to reddit

Old 12-29-2011, 11:23 PM   #1

View ajsilva1973's Photo Album My Photos
2001 Cherokee
Exclamation Pros and Cons with catalytic converter removal

Hello everyone. I have a 2001 stock XJ. The "check engine" light came on a few weeks ago so I brought it to my mechanic, and he said that according to the code the catalytic converter is "under threshold". I am not a mechanic, but I am in no way afraid to get my hands dirty working on my vehicle. I was thinking of removing it entirely, but I'm unsure if it will cause further problems down the road. I know it won't pass the safety inspection here in MA, because the engine light will be on, but I am not concerned with that at all. Also, since the converter problem, my MPG has dropped substantially. Thank for any help you can provide.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
CF Veteran

View mr white's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

Cons: It's illegal. Case close.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
Seasoned Member

View ClaytonXJ's Photo Album My Photos
96 Cherokee

Pros: more power, You don't have a mobile torch under your vehicle waiting to light your carpet and woods on fire while wheeling (they get hot).
Cons: cherokee forum gets mad at you and you don't pass emissions.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #4

View melikeyfishy's Photo Album My Photos
89 Cherokee

i have thought of this also no check engine light but for the power factor. i live in AR and dont have inspections plus rig is for fun not the daily driver. hhhmmmmmm interesting. anyone know how much "pollution" is saved when using a cat vs not using one. oh and dont get mad cherokeeforum
Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
CF Veteran

View dogger15's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

Oh man let it start on this guy...
Build Specs: 92, Ax15, 32x11.50x15 kenda mts, 15x8 black Baja style wheels with 3.75 BS, About 4"-4.5" lift. Rustys 2.5" Coil with a spacer added, CAD brackets, RE HD Track Bar, Chevy 1500 lines, 1995 F150 shocks on the front, HD Off Road shackle relo boxes, RE AAL, 1996 F 150 rear shocks, JCR t-case skid, 4.56 gears, lunch box lockers front and rear, optima blue top, cb radio, soft ball bump stops, rear hitch, factory recovery hooks, zj tie rod
Old 12-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #6

2001 Cherokee

I know about the leagality of it. The problem is I just dropped $1,200 on it to have the heater core replaced under a week ago. I'm just looking for something to get me by for about a month, til' I have the $ to replace the converter.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
CF Veteran

View N20jeep's Photo Album My Photos
92 Cherokee

It's illegal and your 01 will not run efficiently if you remove them. And your mpg will be worse.

Just ride out the check engine light till you can afford to fix it.
-"Simply because you can breathe, doesn't mean you're alive"-
"Project Florida Crawler"
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pro...crawler-74408/

R.I.P. Brian (96_xj) you will be missed
Old 12-29-2011, 11:52 PM   #8
CF Veteran

View mr white's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

Exactly how much more power will you get with a test pipe over a high flow? Probably 1hp over the high flow (MAYBE).
Old 12-29-2011, 11:54 PM   #9

View harleyxj's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N20jeep
It's illegal and your 01 will not run efficiently if you remove them. And your mpg will be worse.

X2
Old 12-30-2011, 12:06 AM   #10

2001 Cherokee

Wow, I should have quoted "besides being illegal" in my original post. I have been an AH-64D pilot in the U.S. Army since 1989, and considering the emissions I've put out in that thing, I'm really not feeling to bad for the environment with the issue of my XJ's possible temporary missing converter. As far as the converter itself going "bad", what could have caused it, and should I fix that issue before replacing the converter?
Old 12-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #11
CF Veteran

View 99 Purple XJ's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee

Running to rich or multiple things cause the converter to go bad and dont forget yours is an 01 it has 2 pre cats on the manifold also
Old 12-30-2011, 12:50 AM   #12
CF Veteran

View wiggles's Photo Album My Photos
1993 Cherokee

Simple facts I've done it and its pointless and we don't talk about it on here, its only a matter of time before a mod shows up and shuts this down. Legal or not wherever you are (likely not legal) its against forum rules so lets leave it at that...
Old 12-30-2011, 01:01 AM   #13
CF Veteran

View ZINGGG's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by N20jeep

x3. Read the forum rules. And it's illegal. Get it fixed when you scrape up the dough. Just be happy you don't live in Commufornia where the cheapest cat I could find was 200. It may be louder without it, but it's still illegal. And it's against forum rules. Oh and did I mention it's illegal?

If needed to replace, UPGRADE!!

'96 XJ 4-door Sport 4.0L, AW4, NP231, HP D30, 8.25
w/ 4" Teraflex lift, 33" BFG K/Os on Black Rock Soft 8s, 4.56 gears (thank you RWKHausSupply), APN header, Precision Auto Injectors, bored throttle body (thank you Thexjfiles), Spectre Intake, 2.5" Magnaflow catback (thank you mudfrog), Optima red top, Kelley's WiP 4 gauge battery cables (thank you 5-90), 10" cubby subwoofer (thank you KFXHellRaiser), 1-ton steering (thank you SeriousOffroad), front Crusader prerunner bumper (thank you JCR Offroad), sliders and rear bumper/tire carrier (thank you Ares Fab), Hyline Hood Vents, Truck Lite LEDs and more
Old 12-30-2011, 01:15 AM   #14

2001 Cherokee

Lets move this thread in the direction of replacing the converter. How do I know which converter needs to be replaced? One of the two on the manifold, or the one near the muffler?
Old 12-30-2011, 01:48 AM   #15

View darkoverlift's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to darkoverlift

I will admit I had mine removed. Not worth it. To loud, gas mileage got worse, just on every aspect was not worth it, but like everyone until you try it on your own you never know.

Just get a nice high flow and cat back...
Old 12-30-2011, 01:48 AM

submit to reddit
Closed Thread

Tags
catalytic converter, miles per gallon, mpg
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Modified Cherokee Tech