Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem -- Radio/Dome Lights/Gauges not working

Old 04-12-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0L
Default Problem -- Radio/Dome Lights/Gauges not working

I've been reading this forum for a while to find the answers to a lot, but I just made an account because I'm having some pretty significant problems with my XJ and I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

I was installing a new amp/headunit and didn't quite finish with the amp but the headunit was all hooked up and working. I'm completely new to any type of work with cars so odds are I messed up somewhere, but I had just finished wiring the power cable with the in-line fuse when I started having problems. I didn't even plug the cable into the amp because I don't have the ground attached yet.

Basically my problem started out just being that the new headunit and the dome light wouldn't turn on. I checked my fuses (both under the hood and in the car) and everything seems fine. I don't know if I just didn't notice at first (as I had the truck in my garage and only turned it to accessory) or if it happened later, but now my entire instrument cluster isn't working. The lights and everything work except for the gauges themselves. When I turn my Jeep on nothing moves, and the odometer doesn't go on.

Also when I had to drive it to pick up my sister it sounded like it was shifting at a higher RPM, but I haven't really been noticing it lately so there's a possibility it fixed itself or it might just be because I had been driving two much smaller cars for two or three days prior. Unfortunately, my only other car just got totaled so my Jeeps all I've got now and I'd really like to fix this.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

my car it did something similar... the radio fuse had blown, and it was also causing it to throw a check engine light... weird stuff
Old 04-12-2011, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by sydus
I've been reading this forum for a while to find the answers to a lot, but I just made an account because I'm having some pretty significant problems with my XJ and I can't seem to find an answer anywhere.

I was installing a new amp/headunit and didn't quite finish with the amp but the headunit was all hooked up and working. I'm completely new to any type of work with cars so odds are I messed up somewhere, but I had just finished wiring the power cable with the in-line fuse when I started having problems. I didn't even plug the cable into the amp because I don't have the ground attached yet.

Basically my problem started out just being that the new headunit and the dome light wouldn't turn on. I checked my fuses (both under the hood and in the car) and everything seems fine. I don't know if I just didn't notice at first (as I had the truck in my garage and only turned it to accessory) or if it happened later, but now my entire instrument cluster isn't working. The lights and everything work except for the gauges themselves. When I turn my Jeep on nothing moves, and the odometer doesn't go on.

Also when I had to drive it to pick up my sister it sounded like it was shifting at a higher RPM, but I haven't really been noticing it lately so there's a possibility it fixed itself or it might just be because I had been driving two much smaller cars for two or three days prior. Unfortunately, my only other car just got totaled so my Jeeps all I've got now and I'd really like to fix this.
seems fine, you gotta check each and every fuse by pulling them and looking or with test light/meter
Old 04-16-2011, 07:26 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: I-6 4.0L

i thought i checked all the fuses that could've been the problem but i decided to pull each one and check and i found the problem was actually a small 10 fuse under my hood--everythings working again!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:34 PM

Year: 1997

Which fuse was it? I'm having that exact same problem.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:41 PM

Year: 1997

Bump?
Old 04-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, afe intake, injector swap, throttle body spacer, hypertech power tuned

its one of the small fuses in the fuse box that is under the hood. there is only 5 or 6 of them i think. just take a look and you should be able to find it pretty quickly.