Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PowerTrax No Slip Differential Question

Old 06-19-2016, 06:14 AM

Received 268 Likes on 186 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default PowerTrax No Slip Differential Question

1996 Cherokee Classic 4.0L Automatic Trans 2wd 165000 miles.
Daily driver, not taken off road, all maintenance up to date.

About a 1000 miles ago I installed said differential into the Jeep.

I understand most of the noise it will make and have adjusted to it.

Performance and drive-ability are as expected.

When coming to a stop by braking I have a under 5 mph "clunk" that seems to repeat as I am coming to a full stop. Sort of a clunk clunk clunk sound. If I let the vehicle come to a slow stop without braking and in neutral it does not make this sound. It also doesn't make the sound when reversing and braking. It seems to happen intermittently and not every time I come to a stop. It seems to be from the axle area although sometimes it also sounds from the right/center area.

When I installed the PowerTrax, I had pulled the axle on the the right side out where the brake drum had cleared the brake shoes. I don't seem to remember any disincentive issues putting it back on.

The rear brakes are less that 1 year/10000 miles old with a complete rebuild and new drums.

The vehicle hasn't been hard driven, meaning hole shots or dragging trees.

Just wondering if anybody has had this issue or what are the thoughts of the veterans of this forum.

Thanks in advance

Happy Fathers Day to all.

Last edited by BruceB; 06-19-2016 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:03 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Could it be the slip yoke at the back of the trans needing lube?
Old 06-19-2016, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Could it be the slip yoke at the back of the trans needing lube?
How would one check that or perform the lubrication?

The slip yoke had been replaced with a new 30000 miles ago when the front pump seal was replaced.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

trans mount
leaf spring shackle bushings

to check the slip yoke....take the rear d/s out, put some grease on the splines, and put it back in...see if the issue goes away for a few days.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:29 PM

So I decide to follow the advice and prepare to lube the yoke. Since the front U joint was replaced about 30k miles ago, and the rear wasn't (to my surprise) I decided to replace the rear U joint on this maintianace item. So off to the parts store early this am. Sure enough, the clunk,clunk clunk is still there as I brake to a stop. Since it is early and there is hardly any traffic, I decide to come to a stop by just using the emergency brake just to make sure whether the noise could be brake related, and to insure where I am hearing the noise from. The Jeep comes to a stop, and without making the clunk clunk clunk. More interesting is the fact that it hasn't gone clunk clunk clunk since. I have done multiple errands today and still it hasn't made the noise. Still plan on lubricating the yoke and replacing the U joint, but not sure why the noise stopped after using the emergency brake. so we shall listen and see...
Old 06-20-2016, 04:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

something was loose inside the drum, and using the E-brake got rid of it somehow.

Last edited by TRCM; 06-20-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:48 PM

UPDATE: The clunk clunk clunk reappeared. I removed both wheels and visually inspected the brake assemblies. They looked fine and nothing looked out of place or loose. I removed the drive shaft and replaced the rear U-Joint. I think it was the original U joint as it wasn't easy to remove. With new U-joint and lube in the yoke all went back together with ease. Road tested in stop and go traffic and highway. No clunk clunk clunk. Also much quieter drive-train overall. The yoke had no grease on it when I pulled the driveshaft. Don't know which item took care of the clunk clunk clunk, but it is gone. Thanks
Old 06-28-2016, 07:53 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Wow. Simple maintenance and noggin pokin prevails again!!!!
Old 07-23-2016, 05:52 PM

update: clunk clunk clunk reappeared after a few drives to work. I purchased new brake shoes and replaced the (new) old ones. On the right rear, on the rear (back) shoe, on the bottom of the friction material, the was an unusual wear marks..as if that part was the only part to make contact. I checked the drum for roundness, no issue there. Reassembled with new brake shoes, adjusted them properly. After 2 weeks, no occurrence of the infamous clunk, clunk, clunk... Don't have a clue why that after almost a year that the brakes would do that. Hopefully I wont have to readdress this in a year.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Just installed Powertrax no-slips front and rear. Dana 30 and 29 spline Chrysler 8.25. I also had a clunk noise appear. I replaced ujoints not long ago. Hubs and Bearings are good. Replaced Front disc brakes two weeks ago for other reasons. Not too worried about it. Taken it offroading several trails, no issues. I believe I have two distinct clunks when stopping right as I reach a complete stop. Seams to be coming from passenger front axle area. I'm thinking It may have something to do with it going from unlocked to locked while stopping, cause I haven't noticed the clunk noise in 4 wheel drive, but that maybe cause I'm focused on terrain. Seems like I've gotten a couple clunks from the rear, but not enough to catch my attention. Next time I'm out I'll try a few things to see what agitates it.

Last edited by Jacobus; 07-23-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jacobus
I believe I have two distinct clunks when stopping right as I reach a complete stop.
Try letting the vehicle come to a stop without braking, then try backing up and braking. If you do not hear the clunks, then it is more than likely brake related. My powertrax no slip is really quite and I do not think going straight with both wheels on the same axle the unit locks and unlocks from what I have read. I do know that you will have more play in the pinion and can get loud clunks from the differential if you power on and off while driving, but doesn't clunk as you brake to a stop. Hope this helps..