Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"New" XJ owner, want to modifiy everything

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default "New" XJ owner, want to modifiy everything

So when I was 16 I got the family's hand-me-down 2000 Cherokee Sport, completely bone stock. I drove it for two years until I got a 2012 Challenger, which I drove for 7 months before wrecking and totaling it. Now I'm back to the Cherokee, which has a few transmission issues but is otherwise ok as a daily driver. However, we're currently selling a house and I'm set to make anywhere from 20 to 30 thousand dollars, so being the spoiled person I am I've decided to modify the jeep instead of buying a whole new car. I'm aiming to spend approximately 10k and save the rest for college, so...

As of right now I have about $1,600 set up to get all the fun things the car had (touch screen sat radio/navigation, remote start, speakers, etc) installed. Besides that I need to replace the front bumper which will run probably about $1,500 or so (I think). But I'd like to take the pavement princess offroad since it's never actually seen what rocks and/or mud even looks like. All of this to say: as an 18 year old with absolutely no mechanical experience, what would I need to buy in order to get 38 inch tires on a stock 2000 XJ, a louder and more verbal exhaust, and maybe a grille guard or something to mount a winch on, etc.

tl;dr what do I need to make my daily driver something I can also take off road and not look like an idiot in for roughly $10-15K?

Last edited by scrubxjowner; 08-30-2014 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

To run 38's. U ll need to upgrade axles for sure
Old 08-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Welcome to CF so your ready to take a hit of (Jeep)

I can help you with that I'm Duma. Here is some info I have learned when taking my first hit..lol

1; Determine your desired lift height and tire size along with the purpose for the lift.
2; Research, research, research. Determine which manufacturers meet your requirements.
3; Formulate a parts list, and continue researching to confirm your choices.
4;Cost out your build based on the parts list above. You need to know what you are getting yourself into.
5; Start looking for the deals either from a retailer, eBay, Craigslist, or whatever source you identify. We have some good venders here.
6; Don't be impatient. Haste = lost $$$ and/or inferior lift.
7;When you've finally collected all your parts and you're ready to install, it's best to have some expert help. Jeeps like to throw you curve *****.

The only notable mistake that I made(Yeah Right )was ordering my shocks. I thought I had the correct shock lengths based on my research but they came out too short ($250 mistake). If you can wait until you have the lift on your vehicle, you can flex your jeep and take your measurements then instead of guessing beforehand. The shocks they send with a lift are ok to get you going, but you will want to flex and see.

I can also give you this that NewKindOfClown made.

Good luck and don't get to high on jeep
Old 08-29-2014, 11:09 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Dump all the electronics. They don't belong in an off-road rig, LOL...

If you wanna run 38's and do it right, you'll need beefier axles for sure. Along with gears. Might as well do lockers at the same time. And enough lift/trim to fit it all. Plus new wheels, tires, steering upgrades, proper shocks, SYE, brake lines, upgraded brake system. I see your 10K disappearing quickly, LOL
Old 08-29-2014, 11:13 PM

Not just an offroader, it's gonna be my daily driver as well. But if 38's require all of that, are there any better, more feasible options?
Old 08-29-2014, 11:34 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

15k would build a nice rig on 35s. Any larger than that is going to be in the dedicated trail rig.

4k for lift
1.5k wheels tires
4-5k for axles and lockers
Rest for armor, bumper, winch accessories etc

All rough estimates.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj
15k would build a nice rig on 35s. Any larger than that is going to be in the dedicated trail rig.

4k for lift
1.5k wheels tires
4-5k for axles and lockers
Rest for armor, bumper, winch accessories etc

All rough estimates.
Very rough. 4K for a lift? 4-5K for axles and lockers? About half of that is more accurate, unless you pay for someone else to do it.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:58 PM

not sure it matters but I currently have 15 inch rims on the crappy little stock tires. Like I said, my mechanical experience is literally nill, can I not just get new tires (such as 35's) sized for a 15 inch rim and throw those on there?
Old 08-30-2014, 12:06 AM

" All of this to say: as an 18 year old with absolutely no mechanical experience,"

Maybe you missed this. Im not that far off.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by scrubxjowner
not sure it matters but I currently have 15 inch rims on the crappy little stock tires. Like I said, my mechanical experience is literally nill, can I not just get new tires (such as 35's) sized for a 15 inch rim and throw those on there?
You will need to lift and trim for sure, can you run those tires on stock gears? Sure, but your mileage will suffer badly, and without proper gearing, your transmission will work alot harder, your engine will work alot harder, your steering and alignment wont be the best. If you wanna just "throw some tires" on there, the biggest you could get away with, with stock gearing, will be 33's, and that's pushing it. You will still need to trim/lift to fit 33's. Methinks you need to do ALOT more research before pulling the trigger.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:10 AM

If your serious look for a reputable shop in your area and let them help you. There are a lot of different ways you could go. My thoughts are a 6.5 longarm, some high end shocks, selectable lockers with built axles and the rest of the toys.

You could go cheaper and do something with 33s and still be a respectable DD rig.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:13 AM

" All of this to say: as an 18 year old with absolutely no mechanical experience,"

Maybe you missed this. Im not that far off.
Didn't miss it. That's why I said if someone else did the work. As a young guy, do this: Take some automotive classes at the local community college, do the work there. You'll have the proper equipment, knowledgeable teachers, and the cost of tuition FAR outweighs the labor costs you would spend. And you'll get to intimately know your ride, and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Then when someone says to you "Cool Jeep! Who did the work?", you can beam and gloat. LOL
Old 08-30-2014, 12:19 AM

I agree with that too!

And I was over estimating because you budget high and come in under budget its a win. At least it feels that way.

To OP take your time dont let the money burn ya. With your proposed budget you could build a really nice xj that youll never get your money back out of.

Not to be blasphemous but with that account you could pickup a jku and throw a lift and 35s on it and have it be worth something in years to come. Just sayin.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:21 AM

I agree with that too!

And I was over estimating because you budget high and come in under budget its a win. At least it feels that way.

To OP take your time dont let the money burn ya. With your proposed budget you could build a really nice xj that youll never get your money back out of.

Not to be blasphemous but with that account you could pickup a jku and throw a lift and 35s on it and have it be worth something in years to come. Just sayin.
Well stated...except for the JKU part, LOL
Old 08-30-2014, 12:29 AM

One other thing I didn't mention...one of the reasons the XJ is a popular base to build off of is because they are relatively easy to work on. Take this opportunity to learn something, you might be young, and have little mechanical knowledge, but the XJ is probably one of if not the best platforms to learn from. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Name:  you can do it.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  16.1 KB

Quick Reply: "New" XJ owner, want to modifiy everything