Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New drive shaft with 4.5 lift?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New drive shaft with 4.5 lift?

I'm about to lift 4.5 inches and tHe guy at the 4wheel parts store said I will need a new rear drive shaft, I didn't think that was right
Old 10-07-2015, 01:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You won't need it but it will pull the slip joint out of the transfer case (not all the way) and cause vibrations - hence why a SYE is highly recommended for lifting an XJ period. If you install that, you will need a new driveshaft.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:44 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by shadowmoses
I'm about to lift 4.5 inches and tHe guy at the 4wheel parts store said I will need a new rear drive shaft, I didn't think that was right
Take a look at this..

Old 10-07-2015, 02:22 PM

Year: 1997

Mine is lifted 4.5 and with the transfer case drop kit (1") it doesn't vibrate at all. Also wheels fine this way too. I will be getting the SYE kit later but only to have the ability to run with just the front drive shaft in case I break a rear u-joint or strap or something.

Same lift on my old jeep from years ago and ran it the same way with no vibrations.

Forgot- you will need to shim it if you have not already.

Get one from here or like this.

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...teel-pair.html

Last edited by *The Dude*; 10-07-2015 at 02:46 PM. Reason: shim
Old 10-08-2015, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

You need an SYE and a new driveshaft or another front one for the rear period no matter what some say, its one of those things when you go over a 3" lift along with Adj. U/LCA's, Brake Lines, Shocks, Dbl. Shear Track Bar for just a few things.

Its when you short change yourself that problems start, do it right the first time or wait till you can afford it.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
You need an SYE and a new driveshaft or another front one for the rear period no matter what some say, its one of those things when you go over a 3" lift along with Adj. U/LCA's, Brake Lines, Shocks, Dbl. Shear Track Bar for just a few things.

Its when you short change yourself that problems start, do it right the first time or wait till you can afford it.
Lol, nah. Its more interesting watching people do the TC drop, and then post back a few weeks later, "Guys my vibes are back.""Guys I keep blowing up u joints." SYE are the easiest things to do. I love my IRO HnT, which works for me since I run only a 31.5 tire and not too much rocks. Was easier installing than my Original TC drop, Which guess what, did nothing good for me.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Hence the reason I put it in my sig.

It's illogical to say that one can't afford, or have the time, to do something correctly the first time, yet can afford, or have the time, to do something correctly a second time. That makes no sense...
Old 10-08-2015, 02:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
Lol, nah. Its more interesting watching people do the TC drop, and then post back a few weeks later, "Guys my vibes are back.""Guys I keep blowing up u joints."
I agree. It is more interesting to watch the outcomes of people who have a shorter time-preference vs the outcomes of people who have longer time-preferences.

To each their own though, right?
Old 10-08-2015, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by 4WD4EVER
I agree. It is more interesting to watch the outcomes of people who have a shorter time-preference vs the outcomes of people who have longer time-preferences.

To each their own though, right?
Man. I dont even want to admit how much money and time I wasted by not saving and just doing it at once. Been the puck and shackle route. Relocator bracket. AAL. Bastard pack. Right now I'm using a Bastard AAL pack until I get time to do a full leaf 3.5" pack. It flexes and it works but damn if I wasn't in a rush, I'd probably be doing long arms right now instead of fixing old crap.
Old 10-08-2015, 02:37 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by sycoglitch
Man. I dont even want to admit how much money and time I wasted by not saving and just doing it at once. Been the puck and shackle route. Relocator bracket. AAL. Bastard pack. Right now I'm using a Bastard AAL pack until I get time to do a full leaf 3.5" pack. It flexes and it works but damn if I wasn't in a rush, I'd probably be doing long arms right now instead of fixing old crap.
I know, we've all been there. Sometimes we just have to have our stuff and we've got to have it now. Live and learn, right?
Old 10-08-2015, 03:14 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by *The Dude*
Mine is lifted 4.5 and with the transfer case drop kit (1") it doesn't vibrate at all. Also wheels fine this way too. I will be getting the SYE kit later but only to have the ability to run with just the front drive shaft in case I break a rear u-joint or strap or something.
Same lift on my old jeep from years ago and ran it the same way with no vibrations.
This is risky. Did you fully droop suspension and measure what remains of spline engagement?
Old 10-08-2015, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
This is risky. Did you fully droop suspension and measure what remains of spline engagement?
Bingo!
Old 10-08-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my 95 zj on 6.5 inches of lift and rolling stock everything on 35s. It was never a daily driver though so many miles may wear out crucial components, but for basi purposes of putting on a lift it will bolt together.

By stock everything I mean what did not come with the lift kit. I have rustys control arms but they are only stock length. The track bars, shocks, and did need a drop pitman arm.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:40 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

the only way you will need to get a longer drive shaft is if you get a sip yolk and the only reasons you would need a slip yolk is if you have vibrations coming from your drive line. the only true way to know that your going to need any of this is to put the lift on and drive it down the road. i would consider doing a tcase drop before you go out and spend hundredzz of dollars on a sye and cv drive shaft. also make sure your axel is wedged apropriatly. every jeep is different when your talking about sye KEEP THAT IN MIND
Old 10-09-2015, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by *The Dude*
Mine is lifted 4.5 and with the transfer case drop kit (1") it doesn't vibrate at all. Also wheels fine this way too. I will be getting the SYE kit later but only to have the ability to run with just the front drive shaft in case I break a rear u-joint or strap or something. Same lift on my old jeep from years ago and ran it the same way with no vibrations. Forgot- you will need to shim it if you have not already. Get one from here or like this. http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-su...teel-pair.html
honestly have never heard of a shim

Quick Reply: New drive shaft with 4.5 lift?