Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

muddin has givin be reason for 3 mods...need ideas!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default muddin has givin be reason for 3 mods...need ideas!

Alright yall, last night like every friday night i went muddin, with my cut fenders i sling a lot of mud even for street tires. I am not one to wheel with the windows down and roll my windows down after i'm done due to the amount of mud caked on my windows. Driving is a little bit of a challenge but not that bad, my issue is air flow. I have 2 options for this, either diagnose my A/C or go doorless; if i go doorless i'm only gonna do the front 2. I see plenty of XJs for no doors but i wanna know the problems that come with it, ideas on how to make removable doors, what to do for a quick disconnect for my window switch...or should i just diag my A/C. My new 2 mods kinda tie into each other, it's a snorkel front and rear (yes the exhaust). I know how i wanna do the exhaust, i wanna make it detachable, but i don't know if an exhaust clamp would be enough for mudding and where i'd secure the pipe; i hate drilling into the body. The intake snorkel will be a cawl snorkel, i just want some feedback on it, how people like it, what issue that might/will cause,

Thanks in advance,
Redwolf
Old 05-28-2016, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

exhaust snorkel ?? never heard or seen of one.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by TRCM
^ this. Sounds like witch craft to me..
Old 05-29-2016, 07:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Guessing he means a detachable extension for the tailpipe.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

You need snorkels to go in the mud, but you're funning street tires and probably open differentials if you have street tires also? Thought about extending your differential and transfer case breathing tubes? Ever changed the fluid in there? Mud is an awful thing, but if you want to play in the mud at least change the fluid in your diffs everytime.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

^ that's a fact for sure and even with the breather tubes extended it still creeps in through the seals ^

Good point

I agree I bet they haven't been changed either, I run in mud and water and have to change mine very often, the main reason I have drain plugs in my covers.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by TRCM
Originally Posted by Silentj
^ this. Sounds like witch craft to me..
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Guessing he means a detachable extension for the tailpipe.
sorry, i've always considered it a snorkel. But Earl hit the nail on the head, it's a detachable extension for the tailpipe that i wanna do
Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
You need snorkels to go in the mud, but you're funning street tires and probably open differentials if you have street tires also? Thought about extending your differential and transfer case breathing tubes? Ever changed the fluid in there? Mud is an awful thing, but if you want to play in the mud at least change the fluid in your diffs everytime.
Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
^ that's a fact for sure and even with the breather tubes extended it still creeps in through the seals ^

Good point

I agree I bet they haven't been changed either, I run in mud and water and have to change mine very often, the main reason I have drain plugs in my covers.
yup, i got opens, gotta locker to throw in my rear but i'd rather have a limited slip. i have not extended my breathin tubes as for i don't know where the tcase and rear diff tubes are; but i have changed the fluids and i check em more than i should. The previous owner never changed the diff fluids, the front was all sandy and the rear had a CLEAR line of where it looked like it sat in mud, but luckly no damage was done that i know of.

Redwolf
Old 05-29-2016, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Redwolf624
sorry, i've always considered it a snorkel. But Earl hit the nail on the head, it's a detachable extension for the tailpipe that i wanna do yup, i got opens, gotta locker to throw in my rear but i'd rather have a limited slip. i have not extended my breathin tubes as for i don't know where the tcase and rear diff tubes are; but i have changed the fluids and i check em more than i should. The previous owner never changed the diff fluids, the front was all sandy and the rear had a CLEAR line of where it looked like it sat in mud, but luckly no damage was done that i know of. Redwolf
the breather tube is on the top of the brake line junction on the axle tube. Why limited slip and not locker? I daily drive mine with a locker and you seem to do a lot more "offroading" and "muddin" than I do.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:49 PM

the breather tube is on the top of the brake line junction on the axle tube. Why limited slip and not locker? I daily drive mine with a locker and you seem to do a lot more "offroading" and "muddin" than I do.
limited slip ratchets more..way more forgiving when goin around turns while gettin your vehicle gas,

Redwolf
Old 05-29-2016, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Redwolf624
limited slip ratchets more..way more forgiving when goin around turns while gettin your vehicle gas, Redwolf
there isn't really ratcheting around corners with a limited slip, it has clutches that slip and wear out around turns, the locker pops open around a corner and locks back when going straight.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This would be the top of my list http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoBreatherExtensions.htm
Old 05-30-2016, 12:11 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: '95
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
This would be the top of my list http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoBreatherExtensions.htm
Word.

Then consider a cowl snorkel: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/my...snorkle-67919/

Then cut the doors off. Trust me, you'll never want to wheel with them on again.

Then get some real tires
Old 05-30-2016, 04:08 PM

there isn't really ratcheting around corners with a limited slip, it has clutches that slip and wear out around turns, the locker pops open around a corner and locks back when going straight.
hmm, guess i've been misinformed then, i got an auto locker for the chrysler 8,25 that i've thought bout throwin in but don't know what issues i'll have doin so, nor have i swapped gears
Originally Posted by andrewmp6
yeah, now that i know that my diffs and everything else has a breather tube i'm deffently gonna extend em
Originally Posted by XJNVA
Word.

Then consider a cowl snorkel: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/my...snorkle-67919/

Then cut the doors off. Trust me, you'll never want to wheel with them on again.

Then get some real tires
a cowl snorkel is what i want, i dont' like safari snorkels, i feel like i'd rip it off with some of the places i wheel at. As far as the doors, i wanna make em removable so i can still wheel with em but take em off when it's 100 degrees out, i HATE cleaning the inside of my jeep; and i'm workin on gettin some real tires, i'm hopin to buy some next income tax time,

Redwolf
Old 05-30-2016, 07:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

The ratcheting action you described is what the auto locker is designed to do.
Assuming it's a lunchbox locker which I have noticed to be referred to as an auto locker.

Limited slip works more like a stall Tourque converter in the mud and is alot less desired for by me.
I also mud alot due to location, it's just all there is to play in.

I run 33x13.50 interco LTB's, in the amount of time I've had them, they serve me well in the mud.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Constantine
The ratcheting action you described is what the auto locker is designed to do. Assuming it's a lunchbox locker which I have noticed to be referred to as an auto locker. Limited slip works more like a stall Tourque converter in the mud and is alot less desired for by me. I also mud alot due to location, it's just all there is to play in. I run 33x13.50 interco LTB's, in the amount of time I've had them, they serve me well in the mud.
I have an auto locker, power trax no slip (yes it is a locker despite its name sounding like a limited slip). It pops open at the start of turns and back closed at the end. There is no ratcheting with it.

Quick Reply: muddin has givin be reason for 3 mods...need ideas!