Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locker Info Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0
Default Locker Info Wanted

Looking for the current opinions on diff lockers.

I've got an '89 XJ base model, auto trans, dana 30/35, newly installed Rusty's Advanced 3" lift with adj U/LCAs. It will be my dd for winters in New England, and my camp/adventure vehicle in the summer. Not a rock crawler. I'll be in snow and mud, loose gravel, some loose rock. I enjoy adventure route finding, so I find myself on seldom used, steep and rocky access roads. I'll end up with 31" tires max. Considering a rear diff/axle upgrade in the future.

I know very little about lockers, and am steering away from air lockers due to expense and desire to keep things simple. My idea is to put an auto locker in the front only, as it would give me considerably more traction in the loose stuff and will only be used/engaged when in 4wd. Is this accurate/useful in your experience?

All on-topic, constructive ideas are welcome.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2016, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Most people tend to say that driving in the snow with an auto locker is dangerous and a bad idea. I recently drove in the snow with a rear auto locker and didn't have a problem. I have a power trax no-slip locker (despite its name it's not a limited slip). I love it. It's quite and I hardly notice it till I need it. Maybe once a week it'll pop but that's it. I like it, but I'm sure there are others that will chime in.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

I started a thread a while back that received pages of decent info, might want to check it out. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/ho...d-lock-212791/
FWIW I locked my 30 and am happy with my decision, but I don't plan on visiting a New England winter either.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by jay_sco
I started a thread a while back that received pages of decent info, might want to check it out. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/ho...d-lock-212791/
FWIW I locked my 30 and am happy with my decision, but I don't plan on visiting a New England winter either.
I'll check out the thread, thanks.

Yours is an auto locker?

(BTW, as soon as my SYE is installed I wanna flex my new suspension a bit. I'll let you know if I head up Cleghorn, see if you wanna go.)
Old 02-02-2016, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Yup, auto locker, Spartan. Nearly nonexistent in 2wd, just some ratcheting on tight turns.
After I get my motor mounts I'll gladly hit Cleghorn again.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

I have a spartan in my 96, and a lockright in my 88. Both rear axles only.

I get the front axle thing if you like using 4wd, but I put mine in the rear axle, as I usually don't need 4wd that way. 2wd gets it done.

Putting it in a front axle only means you have to use at least 4wd high range.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:02 PM

Anyone have experience with Detroit Truetrac lockers?
Old 02-03-2016, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

Old 02-03-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ElMartillo
The Truetrac is a mechanical limited slip. I have it in the rear C8.25 and it's great for daily driving, mud, and snow. For rocks, not so much. It doesn't work as well as I had hoped. But my Jeep is built for dual purpose. If all you were doing is rocks, you would go with an auto/selectable locker anyways.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

not a locker. Limited slip. If you want a locker that's almost invisible the no-slip is the best option for an auto locker
Old 02-03-2016, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
not a locker. Limited slip. If you want a locker that's almost invisible the no-slip is the best option for an auto locker
I'm going to look into it more. Stupid question of the day: What are the chances of my '89 stock XJ with Dana 30/35 having LSD's in it already? Were they ever an OEM item?
Old 02-03-2016, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

I'm going to look into it more. Stupid question of the day: What are the chances of my '89 stock XJ with Dana 30/35 having LSD's in it already? Were they ever an OEM item?
they were an oem option, if you have a lsd it will have a sticker in the glove box I think. Personally I'd ditch the 35 for an 8.25 before getting a locker or lsd.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Except for straight line pulls.....>LSD is worthless.

I have mulled over this question for some time myself......will go selectable in the near future.

I discarded my D35 and suggest the same for you.

I will not drive on icy mountain roads with autolockers.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:16 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Year: 1996

I have a 96 with a D30/8.25 and both have lunch box lockers. When I have put it in 4H or 4L, I have used it for those "oh *****" moments like driving in the snow at highway speeds, on the trail climbing up steep hills, the mud or for rock crawling. When you are on a budget as I have been, they work great. I have no issues with them, but only when as mentioned above when making a tight turn it'll click a couple of times until the turn is over. I dont recommend a spool unless you are only using it off-road. I havent switched to a selectable locker b/c of price and all the extra work needed to make one work. XJ's are small enough and having to add an air tank somewhere inside just isnt something I want to do.
My next upgrade is a long arm kit from rough country. I am also using OEM gears and if I decide to upgrade my gears then maybe I will consider switching to a selectable locker if its in my budget. Good Luck!
Old 02-05-2016, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
Most people tend to say that driving in the snow with an auto locker is dangerous and a bad idea. I recently drove in the snow with a rear auto locker and didn't have a problem. I have a power trax no-slip locker (despite its name it's not a limited slip). I love it. It's quite and I hardly notice it till I need it. Maybe once a week it'll pop but that's it. I like it, but I'm sure there are others that will chime in.
Can confirm.. Same locker here. My boss said I was going to have my hands full in the snow and ice. We had 6 to 8 inches of snow recently.. in the road. Had zero issues. Also that melted slightly during the day and refroze at night so then had an inch of ice under snow, again no probems. Eventually it was just ice and had no problems. Really like this locker.

This locker made a world of difference offroad. Easily tackled areas I previously had to struggle to make. I have heard other jeeps turning with various lockers and you hear a ratcheting or clicking. I seldom hear anything and when I do its usually one click.

Last edited by RickJames Bish; 02-05-2016 at 10:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Locker Info Wanted