Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locker for Dana 30 Front

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Locker for Dana 30 Front

Hi All,

I'm looking at a few options for my 95 Limited.

I'm going a small 2" lift and will fit some 30's, the rear is an LSD so I'm thinking get one of POWERTRAX LOCK-RIGHT lockers for the front.

I never drive with Full Time 4WD so my only concern is will it have any negative effects while i'm daily driving around town.

I won't be doing any major rock crawling, mainly dirt, slippery rock, mud and sand when it'll be engaged

Cheers
Old 08-25-2015, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1989

ill be the first to say it......
if you're planning on 30" tires and used for light wheeling you don't need a front locker.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Lockers open up a lot of territory that may have been off limits before. Keep in mind that lockers get ya into trouble but a winch will get ya out.

I'm big fan of selectable lockers, specifically the Eaton Elocker. It mechanically locks your axle's together when engaged and is 100% open when you turn it off.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by odgreen
ill be the first to say it......
if you're planning on 30" tires and used for light wheeling you don't need a front locker.
My theory is its for "Just in Case", when we go wheeling I have me 4yld twins and teenage son plus my wife. Also given the cost its would be worth it I was thinking seeing we go on our own and not in groups yet.

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Lockers open up a lot of territory that may have been off limits before. Keep in mind that lockers get ya into trouble but a winch will get ya out.

I'm big fan of selectable lockers, specifically the Eaton Elocker. It mechanically locks your axle's together when engaged and is 100% open when you turn it off.
I am also looking a getting a winch, I'd love a electric or air operated locker but they are out of my price range.

I'm looking at it that with the LSD in the rear it'll cover most of our needs but the the locker in the front is there for the hard stuff, and then if its still stuck I'll winch it out.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

In that case I'd suggest a Detroit Tru-Trac.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Locker for Dana 30 Front

Best lsd on the market.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:46 PM

Year: 1998

best thing you can do for a factory "4x4" is add lockers. they will make loads of difference even on 30's. winch is a good thing to have.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:04 PM

Only issue with that is its out of my price range.

Would the unit I mentioned still be ok for daily driving?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might be better off with a Powertrax No-slip instead. Personally I was on a tight budget so I have a Lokka in my Dana 30 and I love it. I daily drive it even in the snow with no issues.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Freakn
Only issue with that is its out of my price range.

Would the unit I mentioned still be ok for daily driving?
tons of guys run those. it will be mostly dormant when in 2wd in the front, and beastly in 4x compared to how it was. any of those work. aussie locker and lokka are also good ones to consider.
a full case replacement unit adds a lot of strength, but for what you're doing i don't think it would be necessary.
I dont know if you have done any google work on it, but people say its 99% unnoticible in the front. (light ratcheting when turning real sharp).
for your situation the positives greatly outweigh the negatives, IMO. added traction is great always. like crossing shallow ruts for instance.
When i locked my front i was gonna do 4.56's and an aussie. but i went with 4.88's and a elocker. i know i would have been unhappy if i did it any other way.
With auto lockers, they are only locked when there is torque in from the pinion.
Most of the stuff i could find was tj related, but apples to slightly different apples in terms of front dana 30's.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/d3...ession-512950/

Last edited by nolanbalzarini; 08-25-2015 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by nolanbalzarini
tons of guys run those. it will be mostly dormant when in 2wd in the front, and beastly in 4x compared to how it was. any of those work. aussie locker and lokka are also good ones to consider.
a full case replacement unit adds a lot of strength, but for what you're doing i don't think it would be necessary.
I dont know if you have done any google work on it, but people say its 99% unnoticible in the front. (light ratcheting when turning real sharp).
for your situation the positives greatly outweigh the negatives, IMO. added traction is great always. like crossing shallow ruts for instance.
When i locked my front i was gonna do 4.56's and an aussie. but i went with 4.88's and a elocker. i know i would have been unhappy if i did it any other way.
With auto lockers, they are only locked when there is torque in from the pinion.
Most of the stuff i could find was tj related, but apples to slightly different apples in terms of front dana 30's.
Thanks for those links, I'll start looking at those other few option as well now.

Further down the track when it becomes just a weekend toy I'll look at housing swaps or full diff upgrades but I need it to stay on the road for the next 12 months
Old 08-25-2015, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Freakn
Thanks for those links, I'll start looking at those other few option as well now.

Further down the track when it becomes just a weekend toy I'll look at housing swaps or full diff upgrades but I need it to stay on the road for the next 12 months
limited slip + locker would make a potent combo. those were my plans. mild lift, 31s. lol. then everything changed when i couldn't make that one hill. . i might be over built for what i do. its mostly desert exploring, but when "it" gets heavy i need to be able to drive out. most of the time i dont need half the stuff i have, but sometimes i like having the feeling of being fully locked. i can assume LSD +locker would give some confidence when out and about.

Last edited by nolanbalzarini; 08-25-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by nolanbalzarini
limited slip + locker would make a potent combo. those were my plans. mild lift, 31s. lol. then everything changed when i couldn't make that one hill. . i might be over built for what i do. its mostly desert exploring, but when "it" gets heavy i need to be able to drive out. most of the time i dont need half the stuff i have, but sometimes i like having the feeling of being fully locked. i can assume LSD +locker would give some confidence when out and about.
That phrase is exactly what I'm looking at
Old 08-26-2015, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

With an auto locker in the front you never know its there till its in 4wd then its a whole different world. Throw in a lunchbox they are cheap and use it till you go to a different setup and no gears to reset either.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2000

Feel free to give us a call anytime if you have auto locker questions, we're here to help! 585- 723-1489