Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Hyperflash??

Old 07-23-2015, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default LED Hyperflash??

I used the search function but wasn't able to find anyone who had the same problem. I got those direct swap LED bulbs (3157) for my tails and rear signals from autozone, and I purchased the 6ohm 25W load resistors that were next to them on the shelf, since that seemed a lot quicker than soldering together my own setup, and already had a little heatsink. Once they were swapped out, I pre-tested and confirmed that I'd have the hyperflash without them.

The problem I'm having is that I've wired the resistor in parallel with the flasher receptacle, exactly how the instructions told me and the same way I've seen on the forums, but I'm still getting the quick signal. I made sure those splice taps were down TIGHT. Nothing. Is there something I'm missing? I heard that the 99's don't have a flasher relay and you're supposed to just throw some extra load into the circuit, but I'm not getting any results....

The tails came out good, driver side is standard 3157, passenger is the new LED bulb. Noticeably brighter but I feel like I would have been able to get brighter ones from superbrightleds

And then here are how I have the resistors wired into the signal circuit...

Appreciate any suggestions, thanks
Old 07-23-2015, 06:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Both of my 99 had flasher relays
Old 07-23-2015, 11:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

take the resistor out, then go back to autozone and buy an electronic flasher instead. problem solved
Old 07-23-2015, 11:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't use those quick splices for anything on a vehicle, ever. They are garbage. The only place those belong is in your emergency electrical kit for roadside or trail side repairs to get you home safely.

You may need a higher wattage resistor. I'm no electrical engineer, but all of the ones I've ever used have been 50w/5 ohms, and that's having wired hundreds of service trucks... this is actually the first time I've ever seen a 25w used in this application.

Alternatively, you can install an electronic flasher relay which is supposed to handle this problem as well. I've never tried them.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

every light on my jeep is led or hid.. I started with a resistor setup, and got irritated with it and bought the electronic flasher instead. it was like $10, and the lights blink at the same standard rate no matter what.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:12 AM

Cool, I can pull those tap splices out easily enough, anyone have a P/N for the flasher relay? I ended up using safety pins wrapped in tape as a temp fix, the flash is at the correct speed... for now.... lol

every light on my jeep is led or hid.. I started with a resistor setup, and got irritated with it and bought the electronic flasher instead. it was like $10, and the lights blink at the same standard rate no matter what.
That's my ultimate goal. To neeeevver eeeeever have to change a bulb in my Jeep again haha
Old 07-24-2015, 06:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddurgin91
Cool, I can pull those tap splices out easily enough, anyone have a P/N for the flasher relay? I ended up using safety pins wrapped in tape as a temp fix, the flash is at the correct speed... for now.... lol

That's my ultimate goal. To neeeevver eeeeever have to change a bulb in my Jeep again haha
Glad you got it sorted.

LEDs aren't exactly forever, either. While their rated lifespan can be something like 50,000 to 100,000 hours, let's remember that those numbers represent ideal conditions in a lab, not bouncing around in a vehicle with an electrical system designed by the same good folks that brought you the push-button automatic transmission, Unibody construction, and the PT Cruiser. Vibration, heat cycles, humidity and voltage spikes all take their toll.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Crash_Course
in a vehicle with an electrical system designed by the same good folks that brought you the push-button automatic transmission, Unibody construction, and the PT Cruiser.