Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have no idea what the problem is..

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I have no idea what the problem is..

SO. I have a 1994 Cherokee XJ Its lifted but thats never been a problem, lifted it over the summer its on 33x12.5 3" lift. and its and automatic. Along with the lift i have the transfer drop case so there was never a problem occurring cause of the lift kit.

Up at college the roads are rough and my suspension is stiff so i bounce around sometimes. That being said, the other morning i went and got in the jeep and i pulled out of my parking spot, Put it in reverse No problems. I put it in D though and take my foot of the break and you know how a jeep usually will coast a little bit when ur foots of the break? well mine just stood still...

So i go and i push the gas, normally the jeep is responsive, u tap the gas it gives response. But now, i push the gas a litte bit, and nothing. Its not until 2,000 RPMS that the jeep begins to roll!

Picture someone with a manual car stopped on a hill then riding the clutch to get it to go up the hill. this is how my jeep sounds...

SO around 2,000 RPMS it begins rolling and then finally it starts picking up speed and i dont have to push the gas down so much. When i get up to speed, at a certain speed you kind of feel something grab or something change gears because it goes from like me having to step on the pedal a lot and then u feel something engage under you and it feels like im in second gear. But every stop, stop signs red lights etc..

I have to get the jeep to 2000 rpms and it begins to roll like im riding my clutch in first gear.

I heard bad alternators could do this or something? but my alternator has been good shows a good charge on the battery guage on the inside of the jeep?

HELP!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Did you check your trans fluid level? Fluid is what makes an automatic work.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:25 PM

Trans fluid level is fine. Doesn't smell burnt. My oil was a little low. But i fixed it. Only thing I know of was my alternator was being werid but I gave it a good smack and it's been fine for months. would a faulty alternator do this?
Old 02-08-2014, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Check for codes step 1........http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm
Old 02-09-2014, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Check for codes step 1........http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm
i dont have a check engine light though?
Old 02-09-2014, 11:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by timebomb0220
i dont have a check engine light though?
Don't matter computers will store soft codes. A constant on light is indication of a hard code ......
Old 02-09-2014, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

I have had this happen when I over heated my tranny one time, went away after a few minutes of sitting though. have you ever over heated it? maybe you did some internal damage if it got to hot inside
Old 02-12-2014, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by billytoad631
I have had this happen when I over heated my tranny one time, went away after a few minutes of sitting though. have you ever over heated it? maybe you did some internal damage if it got to hot inside
I dont believe ive done any internal damage???

Here the werid thing. In drive it feels like im starting in second or third gear. But in 1-2 on the automatic, it takes of like normal, no problems. Its only in the D mode.....

and its still being this way. i have topped of my oil and even threw a piston cleaner in the gas. lucas products.

anyway why would 1-2 gear work no problems and be normal but D is being werid?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

How does it act in 3rd? Some guys with 33s drive in 3rd around town no highway. Sorry its not an answere to your problem but it could buy you some time till you get it figured out.

Also what color is the transmission fluid and does it stall at all when you are slowing down to stop?

Last edited by XJmike0122; 02-12-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:17 AM

Its an automatic transmission so that means the "d mode" uses all available gears depending upon rpm and torque converter lock. So if you put it in D and are not moving you are in first gear, get it?

Your trans is ****** and its only going to get worse fast. Sry about that but it happens in these old rigs.

Try and get away with using 3 instead of drive untill you can change the fluid and filter. Its already gone tho so save up for a rebuild.

Last edited by Outlaw Star; 02-13-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:46 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

OP, problem with running larger tires without proper regearing causes the engine and trans to work harder than normal to get the vehicle to accelerate. Eventually trans or engine failure may occur due the added stress of the larger tires.
Are there any particles or debris on the trans dipstick when you checked it? Also when is the last time the trans filter was changed or the differential fluid? Also try adjusting your TV (kickdown) cable for the trans.

Last edited by Outlaw Star; 02-13-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:57 AM

I have found a bad Neutral safety switch can do some really wild things. Especially one that is full of water.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:49 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by 98redjeep
I have found a bad Neutral safety switch can do some really wild things. Especially one that is full of water.
This as well. There's a great write up on how to clean/rebuild the NSS in the How to section https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cf-neutral-safety-switch-n-s-s-refresh-how-182998/

Last edited by Outlaw Star; 02-13-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by XJmike0122
How does it act in 3rd? Some guys with 33s drive in 3rd around town no highway. Sorry its not an answere to your problem but it could buy you some time till you get it figured out.

Also what color is the transmission fluid and does it stall at all when you are slowing down to stop?
thirds acts normal..as well as 1-2... just D that is werid. but that doesnt make any sense that it would work in 1-2 but not D theres no clunks or anything.

Originally Posted by XRated
Its an automatic transmission so that means the "d mode" uses all available gears depending upon rpm and torque converter lock. So if you put it in D and are not moving you are in first gear, get it?

Your trans is ****** and its only going to get worse fast. Sry about that but it happens in these old rigs.

Try and get away with using 3 instead of drive untill you can change the fluid and filter. Its already gone tho so save up for a rebuild.
how can you say the tranny is ****ed if in 1-2 in responses perfectly? its simply in "D" mode that i have no torque/

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star
OP, problem with running larger tires without proper regearing causes the engine and trans to work harder than normal to get the vehicle to accelerate. Eventually trans or engine failure may occur due the added stress of the larger tires.
Are there any particles or debris on the trans dipstick when you checked it? Also when is the last time the trans filter was changed or the differential fluid? Also try adjusting your TV (kickdown) cable for the trans.
ive had it since last winter, lifted it this summer and never had a problem
there nothing on the dipstick and it smells fine.

Originally Posted by 98redjeep
ill try this. ill tru anything.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:50 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by Outlaw Star
^^^ X1

Quick Reply: I have no idea what the problem is..