Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homemade Control Arm Drop Brackets!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Question Homemade Control Arm Drop Brackets!?!?!?!

Hey guys I'm planning on fabbing up some homemade control arm drop brackets soon so I was wondering if anyone else has done or seen this before. If so could you share some pics, tips and tricks, or maybe even measurements with me?
Old 07-22-2015, 10:54 PM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Originally Posted by StuckBuck
Hey guys I'm planning on fabbing up some homemade control arm drop brackets soon so I was wondering if anyone else has done or seen this before. If so could you share some pics, tips and tricks, or maybe even measurements with me?
I can lead you to these few, do some reading

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/ho...ackets-126746/

and
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/h...ckets-1239998/

but If you feel like going for it,,
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=979301

Last edited by Dumajones; 07-22-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Thanks Duma! I actually read all those already and planned on modeling mine similar to the last one but I just feel like I should read up a little more before diving in and those where literally the only ones I could find. Anyone else know anymore?
Old 07-23-2015, 12:19 AM
Moderator CF K9-unit

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: New 4.0l from s&j engines

Thanks Duma! I actually read all those already and planned on modeling mine similar to the last one but I just feel like I should read up a little more before diving in and those where literally the only ones I could find. Anyone else know anymore?

Last edited by Dumajones; 07-23-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:35 AM
Seasoned Member

LOL yes I did actually!
Old 07-23-2015, 07:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

All that work making drop brackets, is equal to the amount of work building long arm set up.

I would suggest to go long arms. Didn't u mention that you want to go at least 4" higher somewhere? If so, the long arms would be perfect.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

I'm nervous when people want to fab up suspension parts for their vehicle. Screwing around and cobbling up some structural parts ain't such a great idea. Buy the stuff already made.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

I have a set of RRO drops installed on a jeep now. They have at least 10 parts at odd angles and you would probably need to build left and right jigs to assemble them. I don't think it would be worth doing as a one off.

However, a couple of years ago, I saw an interesting homemade version in parking lot.

Only the LCA mount was dropped. The UCA used the original UCA mount. Drop on the lower mount was about 3" so the upper and lower arms were about parallel. There was a brace welded from the bottom of the UCA mount to the "frame rail" at about a 45 degree angle. This looked pretty easy to build.

I didn't get to talk to the owner so I have no idea how well it worked. It appeared to have been installed years, if not decades, ago though.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by XJwonders
All that work making drop brackets, is equal to the amount of work building long arm set up.

I would suggest to go long arms. Didn't u mention that you want to go at least 4" higher somewhere? If so, the long arms would be perfect.
I believe long arms would be easier too but I have plenty of steel plate laying around. I don't however have plenty of steel tube and johnny joints laying around.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Bustedback
I'm nervous when people want to fab up suspension parts for their vehicle. Screwing around and cobbling up some structural parts ain't such a great idea. Buy the stuff already made.
See the difference between me and most people is I know what I'm doing, I've been trained to do it, and I'd feel safer on my own fab than on some company's that mass produces parts, and tries to keep their operating cost down by using cheap labor.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by sreeb
I have a set of RRO drops installed on a jeep now. They have at least 10 parts at odd angles and you would probably need to build left and right jigs to assemble them. I don't think it would be worth doing as a one off.

However, a couple of years ago, I saw an interesting homemade version in parking lot.

Only the LCA mount was dropped. The UCA used the original UCA mount. Drop on the lower mount was about 3" so the upper and lower arms were about parallel. There was a brace welded from the bottom of the UCA mount to the "frame rail" at about a 45 degree angle. This looked pretty easy to build.

I didn't get to talk to the owner so I have no idea how well it worked. It appeared to have been installed years, if not decades, ago though.
You didn't happen to get picture did ya lol!
Old 07-23-2015, 05:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994

You didn't happen to get picture did ya lol!
Sadly no.

It was pretty simple though. I could sketch it from memory if you are interested.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Dang. No its alright I think I can figure something out. Thanks for the info though!
Old 07-23-2015, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

See the difference between me and most people is I know what I'm doing, I've been trained to do it, and I'd feel safer on my own fab than on some company's that mass produces parts, and tries to keep their operating cost down by using cheap labor.
Then why are asking for tips or tricks? If you're a master at fabrication you should already know what the job will entail.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Then why are asking for tips or tricks? If you're a master at fabrication you should already know what the job will entail.
I don't believe you took me the right way. I never claimed to be a master I just said I know what I'm doing meaning I have taken many years of classes, and if I can brag a little I took 4th place in my regional welding skills competition last year 1st 2nd 3rd and 5th being my best friends so I'm around a group of extremely well taught welders and fabricators. Yes I could do it my self with no research but that would be stupid of me when I know I have access to hundreds of extremely skilled, professional and non professional, welders and fabricators here on the forum. What I was basically meaning to say earlier was that I'm not some redneck with a 10 year old harbor freight flux core machine that thinks this is a simple task. I have access to loads of high end equipment and the knowledge to fabricate it correctly.

Last edited by StuckBuck; 07-25-2015 at 03:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Homemade Control Arm Drop Brackets!?!?!?!