Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HO Cowl on a Renix

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix
Default HO Cowl on a Renix

(1989 XJ 4.0L)

So I am going to try and keep this as simple as possible so bare with me I want to build a DIY cowl intake for my Renix XJ but after reading a bunch of different threads, I have come to the conclusion that doing an HO cowl intake has better chance of not taking in as much crud (rain, water, etc) if placed on the passenger side than the Renix Cowl Intake which is on the drivers side (which goes to the drivers side where the cowl is open). Here are examples of both (not my photos FYI):

HO Cowl Intake Name:  photo4294967060.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  436.0 KB

Renix Cowl Intake HO Cowl on a Renix-photo4294966783.jpg

Now keep in mind I don't care about sound (I have speakers to fix that) and it will be DIY so help there on how to build one without using spectre parts (it's a $ thing) would also be appreciated. I do want the HO style due to the firewall hole I will be drilling being located on the covered side of the cowl. Now at last the question!! Is it possible to put the HO style cowl intake on a Renix?
Old 05-03-2016, 12:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by LiamLikeNeeson
(1989 XJ 4.0L) So I am going to try and keep this as simple as possible so bare with me I want to build a DIY cowl intake for my Renix XJ but after reading a bunch of different threads, I have come to the conclusion that doing an HO cowl intake has better chance of not taking in as much crud (rain, water, etc) if placed on the passenger side than the Renix Cowl Intake which is on the drivers side (which goes to the drivers side where the cowl is open). Here are examples of both (not my photos FYI): HO Cowl Intake Renix Cowl Intake Now keep in mind I don't care about sound (I have speakers to fix that) and it will be DIY so help there on how to build one without using spectre parts (it's a $ thing) would also be appreciated. I do want the HO style due to the firewall hole I will be drilling being located on the covered side of the cowl. Now at last the question!! Is it possible to put the HO style cowl intake on a Renix?
the reasoning for the difference is because some stuff get in the way on renix jeeps. If u are willing to relocate them, then it should work
Old 05-03-2016, 02:22 PM

I am willing to. But it seems like the only thing is the pressurized coolant bottle (I don't know if it's mandatory to move it but I'll check the distances just the right of it to see if I have to move it or not) and then the cruise control cylinder thingy would be interesting to deal with
Old 05-04-2016, 01:29 PM

Ok so I think I am going to pass on the cowl upgrade for now. After even more research it doesn't seem to fit my needs at the moment.