Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

headlights not working?

Old 12-22-2011, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L
Default headlights not working?

Hi,

I have 2000 Cherokee and the headlights won't work? I have checked the lamps they are good, checked all the fuses they are good. Just replaced the headlight switch that didn't solve the problem. Next I hear I should replace the headlight dimmer switch? Any way to check or bypass the dimmer switch?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony
Old 12-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

You could run some positive/negative wires to the battery and see if they turn on that way, possibly.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:05 PM

Just replaced the headlight dimmer switch and that did not solve the problem?
Old 12-22-2011, 07:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

could have a ground issue. try to apply a ground where there should be a ground and if they work just simply trace the ground.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:38 PM

I checked the ground look to have .9 ohms of resistance at the headlight connectors and at the switch ground. But the switch is overheating now and it sounds like the switch is protecting itself from the heat by clicking itself on/off?

This is a new switch and the old switch does the same thing. Not sure what to check next? Any ideas?

Tony
Old 03-10-2012, 07:12 PM

Engine: 4.0 L six cyl.

Got the same problem but I guess some confusion here on the term "switch'. if you are saying headlight sw. did you mean the "multi function Switch" on the Steering wheel? I did the same thing,replaced it but did not resolved the issue,Headlight switch is the plunger Sw. on the dash area. I replaced it and it solved the issue.
Any other experience about this? how did you resolved this?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

Hey there, my name is Matt, and I have a 95 XJ Sport.
I have a similar issue. My Headlights stopped working - but intermittantly. When they stopped working the first time, they would come on and off whenever they wanted. Then they would come on when I moved the multi-function switch. Now they are on, but extremely dim - almost off. When I flick onto high beam - one gets brighter, but not even to low beam brightness - the other doesnt change.
I found the wiring harness behind the drivers side headlight to be full of corrosion, so I cleaned that all out, and it didnt help. I have replaced the headlight (on/off) switch in the dash board, but it has not made any change. Should I replace my multi-function switch next, or install the headlight harness upgrade?
Old 06-04-2012, 06:19 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: v6 4.0

did anyone figure this out i am experiencing similar problems my headlights and turn signals wont work but the high beam light and turn signal lights are on on the dash..i have tail lights and brake lights i have replaced dimmer switch and relay still nothing need ideas hoping its not multi function switch
Old 06-05-2012, 02:51 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

i believe this is due to problematic combination lever.(multifunciton)
Old 11-03-2012, 04:34 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 2,5 TD
Default same problem

Originally Posted by tylersjeep
did anyone figure this out i am experiencing similar problems my headlights and turn signals wont work but the high beam light and turn signal lights are on on the dash..i have tail lights and brake lights i have replaced dimmer switch and relay still nothing need ideas hoping its not multi function switch
I have the excact same problem as you're discribing here. The extra add-on on my XJ is that the headlights blinks in the frequency of the turn blinkers if I turn the blinkers on.

Did you figure it out?
Old 12-02-2015, 11:27 PM

Did you ever figure this problem out I'm having the same issue and can't seem to find the problem
Old 12-03-2015, 06:17 AM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6

Had this issue. Replaced the headlight switch and connector. Didn't solve it. Turns out the harness connector under the air box was corroded to hell. Gave it a good cleaning and it was fine for a bit but eventually just cut it off and spliced the wires together with solder
Old 12-13-2015, 07:19 PM

Default P

Same problem here. It has happened a few times then stopped. Im at a loss. Any solution on your 32nd?
Old 12-13-2015, 07:19 PM

Default P

Same problem here. It has happened a few times then stopped. Im at a loss. Any solution on your end?
Old 05-21-2018, 12:04 AM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Same iss

Originally Posted by Hellnback
Got the same problem but I guess some confusion here on the term "switch'. if you are saying headlight sw. did you mean the "multi function Switch" on the Steering wheel? I did the same thing,replaced it but did not resolved the issue,Headlight switch is the plunger Sw. on the dash area. I replaced it and it solved the issue.
Any other experience about this? how did you resolved this?
I've got no low beams, I had no dash lights also. I replaced the headlight plunger sw. I now have dash lights (speedo heaters etc..) bt still have no low beams. I've only had this 1 for 3-months and its my first Cherokee. My multifunctional sw. on my wheel, is my best bet atm bt im wondering where do I switch from high to low and vise/verser, I've tried looking on Google bt only get the headlight sw.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: headlights not working?