Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H4 headlight upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 01:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Question H4 headlight upgrade

soo ... It's hardly advanced tech - but apparently, it's too advanced for me. Hopefully some of you more seasoned jeepers could lend me a hand.

I'm rebuilding the front passenger corner of a 2001 Xj sport I recently bought.

I purchased a header panel that comes with new lenses.
This xj was wrecked into a guard rail years ago and I'm replacing the header panel for now, fender is next, and bumper soon to come.
When it was wrecked, it sheared the turn signal assembly and there are two wires hanging in place of the housing, plug, etc. The new header panel also has clear signals.

I need (or am planning):
Upgrade to h4/arb/??? headlight loom
purchase yellow turn signal bulbs
purchase h4 bulbs
rewire turn signal (side marker assembly seems intact)
maybe prewire for some PIAA's for when the bumper comes

My questions:
Where can I find the wiring for my turn signals on the passenger front? I'm assuming an upgraded loom won't include wiring for signals. Also, I've heard ARB is ridiculously priced and cheaper versions will suffice, links?

Which bulbs should I purchase? I can spend 100 bucks on bulbs, but if ebay 15 dollar knockoffs work, well - I'd consider it.

Trust me, I've searched the internet and forums for hours before resorting to this. I searched, but everything is so fragmented and for different Jeep platforms. I really just want to know if you guys can help me out with some "bang for my buck" advice.
For the life of me, I cannot find the wiring for turn signals.. Maybe I don't know wtf they are called. "headlight wiring harness" ??
I almost have my MBA, but this sh**t is new to me.

I even threw in some smilies to coax ya'll into opening up to me.. ha

I try to contribute and will post my install to my slowly progressing build thread for future n00bies like me.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Just check Amazon! they will have good priced bulbs on there
Old 02-05-2011, 02:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Quadratec has h4 housings and bulbs. I recommend IPF, and whatever bubs you want.
I am currently running some cheapo xenon bulbs and are bright.
eautoworks.com h4 harness works good.
Unless you get clear side markers clear is the bulb color, otherwise amber is the correct color.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: I6

I'm looking to upgrade the pathetic headlights in my 00 XJ also. I was looking at the Rampage kit on 4wd.com. $90 for the whole thing including bulbs and it says simple plug and play, no mods. Is this true or do i still need the harness too?
Old 02-05-2011, 11:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Lightbulb

You upgrade the relay to regulate power flow and get a more consistent power flow. In other words, I think they help you avoid electrical problems and give you brighter lights, regardless of bulbs.
Seems like many guys don't do a relay upgrade but still do fine with upgraded bulbs.

I want to do everything right the first time, so I'm going to rewire the whole headlight works.....

Which brings me to my question again --

Where can I find the wiring harnesses and plugs for the turn signal? I am assuming these don't come with the relay. I want to install new relay + new signal/marker wiring. I have no choice but to rewire one turn signal as all that remains are 2 wires.
How? I've called junkyards. Considering how many vehicles are abandoned in people's yards, you'd think the junkyards would have xj parts. Not the case. I found an 03 and 04 grand cherokee. Will their wiring swap for my turn signal? The parts are about done at the paint shop... and I'm still empty handed.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by MWildmann
I'm looking to upgrade the pathetic headlights in my 00 XJ also. I was looking at the Rampage kit on 4wd.com. $90 for the whole thing including bulbs and it says simple plug and play, no mods. Is this true or do i still need the harness too?

The Rampage kit is awesome, I installed it just a couple of months ago and love it. I also used the eautoworks harness which made a big difference. The bulbs that the kit comes with could be a little brighter, and I've heard people say that swapping in new bulbs like IPF fatboys make an even bigger difference. Here is a pick of my new lights. I like the rampages better than the IPF's because of the clear lenses, but that's just my personal preference.

H4 headlight upgrade-pc291225.jpg
Old 02-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Seasoned Member

please?

Whats the best way to retire entire headlight wiring, including signals/markers? Harness+new signal+marker wiring

Where can I find the wiring and sockets for the passenger signal?

Getting no where. Spending all this money just so I have 2 turn signals, I thought I'd do a few upgrades. However, concern number 1 is getting signals wired.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by 01xjMontucky
please?

Whats the best way to retire entire headlight wiring, including signals/markers? Harness+new signal+marker wiring

Where can I find the wiring and sockets for the passenger signal?

Getting no where. Spending all this money just so I have 2 turn signals, I thought I'd do a few upgrades. However, concern number 1 is getting signals wired.
Try Painless Wiring Harnesses, not sure if they make one for XJ's. Also you might call Quadratec's tec support and see if they sell anything like that. You can always try the dealer. Or you can go the junkyard route and just splice in a harness. Good luck.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992

build your own
40amp realy for highs
40amp relay for lows
10ga wire

i have the h4 housings and bulbs but like my sealed beams better because i have so many of them laying around. there bright

other realy is for electic fan

Name:  0501101741.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  0501101110.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  59.5 KB
Old 02-06-2011, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

with black projector housings. dont recomend projecter housins unless you go hid but hey there where $5

Name:  0514101719a.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  79.1 KB
Old 02-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Originally Posted by posjeepxj
with black projector housings. dont recomend projecter housins unless you go hid but hey there where $5

Attachment 36813
how do those do at night does it project good light or not so much?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

they suck without projecter bulbs (hids) i was just running some nice h4s in them. horrible idea. i rocking sealed beams now
Old 02-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

Originally Posted by posjeepxj
they suck without projecter bulbs (hids) i was just running some nice h4s in them. horrible idea. i rocking sealed beams now
Haha ok I almost got some blacked out housings offline glad I didn't now
Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.7L

[QUOTE=MWildmann;847381]I'm looking to upgrade the pathetic headlights in my 00 XJ also. I was looking at the Rampage kit on 4wd.com. $90 for the whole thing including bulbs and it says simple plug and play, no mods. Is this true or do i still need the harness too?[/QUOT

I installed mine in under 30 mins they are 100% plug and play and worth every cent
Attached Thumbnails H4 headlight upgrade-img_20110108_021832.jpg  
Old 02-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000 Sport
Engine: I6 4.0

Autpal diamond Euro conversion from ebay im thinking 75% of people running a budget operation go with these guys.

Quick Reply: H4 headlight upgrade