Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front End Control arms and drop brackets.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Front End Control arms and drop brackets.

So I have a 99 cherokee that has four inch coills and one inch coil spring spacers. I acquired a set of upper and lower control arm drop brackets for my jeep. When I went to install those I noticed that there were issues with my existing fixed control arms, so the purchase of some gently used adjustable ones for a good price off a buddy was no issue. With the control arm drop brackets and my lift height, what should be the length of my upper and lower control arms so that everything sits as it should? Any suggestions on removal of old control arms and inserting of new control arms in the easiest possible way so I don't look like a monkey humping a football. I'm starting today, and I have off tomorrow before having to drive to school, so I cannot be without my vehicle for an extended period of time. Last question being, when should I consider putting in a front drive shaft from a zj? Someone on this forum suggested it to me one other time, yet I don't know what the difference would be and why I would be adding it? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

There are a lot of variables in what you are asking and they will be determined by measuring after you install the brackets and the adj. ca's as for the length. You will be sitting the pinion angle of the driveshaft with the uppers and centering the tire in the wheel well with the lowers.

When finished you should have a much better riding XJ for sure. You have no information listed in the user CP so I'm guessing that you have an SYE for sure with that high of a lift. If you had left the TC drop kit in now is the time to remove it and gain more center clearance as now you can adj the angle on the front.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

when i was running RE drop brackets with their 5.5 inch lift, their control arms were fixed at stock length.

when changing them, do one at a time and ratchet strap the axle in place BEFORE you pull any bolts. you may need to use a center punch to manipulate the control arm to line up perfectly, but with the axle strapped tightly, you shouldn't need to work hard.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news yall, just took it slow and the adj control arms and drop brackets went in beautifully. Living in New York sucks, snapped off my fair share of stuff. While I was in there, new fresh coils went in and new heavy duty tie Rod with ends went in. Overall success. Thanks for the input and suggestions, sure made it easier.