Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame Stiffeners F & R ??? - Detour, H.D Engineering, or ???

Old 07-24-2015, 10:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Frame Stiffeners F & R ??? - Detour, H.D Engineering, or ???

I don't do much rock crawling ' off camber, and I am running stock axles with 35's, at what point do I need to worry about plating more than the center section???? and doing the front and back.

I was pretty much sold on Detour Frame Stiffeners and Rok Slyders (Mainly great reviews and ease of installation) - about $545 shipped, Yes I pay a little more, and Yes its about $100 over my current budget, Plus for one its also not in the budget to have a good welder do all the welding (I am still learning on my Lincoln 180) and second its a pain to clean all those areas for the plug welds and stitching. Detour's I just bolt in and weld a few plug areas on each side instead.

I started to consider the H.D. Engineering plates Front, Middle, & Rear for $330 shipped, then making my own rock sliders. Theirs are 10 gauge which I question if they are thick enough ??

At most maybe one day I will go with 37's, front Dana 44 and rear 44, 60 or 14 bolt, but anything bigger would be overbuilt for my area and make my wheeling boring, and I might go rock climbing a couple time a year at a Off Road Park and that is about it, but other wise its hills, drop offs, and mud here in Florida

I started with a never wheeled 2 wheel body, so I know I want to get Frame Stiffeners in before she ever see's off road. This will be a 90% Trail Rig and 10% street getting there.

Thoughts and Opinions are welcomed. Thanks,
Old 07-24-2015, 10:35 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Talk to Max at DirtBound Offroad. Great guy, great product. They use the Ruff Stuff for the mids, but cut their own F&R's.
http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/xj-c...forcement.html
http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/rear...erokee-xj.html
http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/fron...erokee-xj.html
Old 07-28-2015, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

I have TNT Customs... Don't go with them. They make Awesome products but their stiffeners are solid. That required me to drill a bunch of holes that I could have had pre done with the other companies.

Really though, stick to a brand with reviews regarding fitment and buy the cheapest. There is nothing too fancy about them and they don't play any critical function.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:22 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Ianf406
I have TNT Customs... Don't go with them. They make Awesome products but their stiffeners are solid. That required me to drill a bunch of holes that I could have had pre done with the other companies.

Really though, stick to a brand with reviews regarding fitment and buy the cheapest. There is nothing too fancy about them and they don't play any critical function.
So, do you like them or not? I think there's a typo in your post, makes it a bit confusing, sounds like you like them, but had to do a bunch of extra work. Am I wrong here?
Old 07-29-2015, 12:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Haha all their other products are awesome... The stiffeners I would pass on. Solid meaning no holes to weld in. Sorry for confusion.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:01 AM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Originally Posted by bryweb
I don't do much rock crawling ' off camber, and I am running stock axles with 35's, at what point do I need to worry about plating more than the center section???? and doing the front and back.

I was pretty much sold on Detour Frame Stiffeners and Rok Slyders (Mainly great reviews and ease of installation) - about $545 shipped, Yes I pay a little more, and Yes its about $100 over my current budget, Plus for one its also not in the budget to have a good welder do all the welding (I am still learning on my Lincoln 180) and second its a pain to clean all those areas for the plug welds and stitching. Detour's I just bolt in and weld a few plug areas on each side instead.

I started to consider the H.D. Engineering plates Front, Middle, & Rear for $330 shipped, then making my own rock sliders. Theirs are 10 gauge which I question if they are thick enough ??

At most maybe one day I will go with 37's, front Dana 44 and rear 44, 60 or 14 bolt, but anything bigger would be overbuilt for my area and make my wheeling boring, and I might go rock climbing a couple time a year at a Off Road Park and that is about it, but other wise its hills, drop offs, and mud here in Florida

I started with a never wheeled 2 wheel body, so I know I want to get Frame Stiffeners in before she ever see's off road. This will be a 90% Trail Rig and 10% street getting there.

Thoughts and Opinions are welcomed. Thanks,
Brian from HD is part of my off road club and a lot of guys are happily beating on his 10 gauge stiffies. The only complaint I've heard is the amount of plug welds you have to do.

I run Ruff Stuff stiffies and I'm super happy with them. The 3/16" is a bit harder to weld to the unibody just because of the difference in metal thickness.

As far as when to worry about doing front and rears, I dunno. I've been running with just the mids for a while now. I have a set of front stiffies from TMI waiting for me to find time to weld up. Eventually I'll get to the rear. Being caged helps a lot with keeping the body rigid, so
Old 07-29-2015, 10:58 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Thanks for all the input, I am a cheap bastard, but try not to let it bite me in the butt.

I ended up going with Hooligan's Off Road new mid body frame stiffeners,

1) I liked they were 3/16" thick (but now wondering Empty comments about hard to weld to unibody that thickness)
2) They are U-Shaped and wrap around the whole frame section of the unibody
3) They say they only require stitch welding, so not a ton of plug welds to do
4) They were on sale, plus I got a 10% discount as a CherokeeForum member - $90 Only

Then I went with IRO Front Plates, because I found them on eBay for $90 plus $20 shipping, I liked them because they had areas where it L-shaped around the unibody frame.

Together Front and Mid Plates costed me $235 shipped and that was a major deciding factor to me (did I say I am cheap). I skipped the rear because I am not a heavy rock climber and I already have an after market bumper that I am adding 2" x 4" 3/16" tie in's running through the back frame rails that my Shackle Re-Locators and Gas Tank Skid will mount too and I figured that will strength the back quite a bit on its own, as well as eventually on Phase 2 (in a year +) I will be putting in a roll bar and/or exo cage.

I will say this about Brian and H.D. Engineering, out of all the vendors I have asked questions to, he has been the quickest and best in getting back to me by far, Plus I love his work, my Shackle Re-locators look awesome and I look forward to installing them this weekend. Brian and H.D. Engineering is a GREAT COMPANY to do business with.

I ended up not going with Detour because he does not accept Discover, and the money to buy the Jeep parts came from recovering a bad monthly charge on my Discover card and its refund, So I had a Credit at Discover to use up.

Last edited by bryweb; 07-29-2015 at 11:03 AM.