Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix cracked B-pillar on a 2-door

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

After I went wheeling today, I noticed a lot of cracks growing from the vent on my door pillar:

Fix cracked B-pillar on a 2-door-ikrin.jpg

Past lots of body flex due to it being a two-door, maybe this has something to do with it?

Fix cracked B-pillar on a 2-door-30xnu.jpg

Last edited by cookrw; 10-01-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99

I am not too sure if you are asking for help or just showing off battle scars. If you would like to stop the cracks from spreading you can drill a small hole above the crack and one below the crack. This will prevent the cracks from growing.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by mdnov
I am not too sure if you are asking for help or just showing off battle scars. If you would like to stop the cracks from spreading you can drill a small hole above the crack and one below the crack. This will prevent the cracks from growing.
If by above and below you mean at each end, then yeah that method works well. Just wanted to clarify this so the guy doesn't go drilling holes randomly lol.

Anyways, once you do that you could have someone weld the cracked portions back together.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

drilling the ends of the holes will help the cracks from spreading. Stop drilling is not a fix though, it will still get worse.

eventually turned into complete a and b pillar failure.

you will need to strengthen the entire structure if you want it to last through hard wheeling, frame stiffeners and a well tied in cage.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Dan91
If by above and below you mean at each end, then yeah that method works well. Just wanted to clarify this so the guy doesn't go drilling holes randomly lol.

Anyways, once you do that you could have someone weld the cracked portions back together.
Yes that is what I meant. : ) It is always best to clarify.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah, I meant how do I repair it. Are those going to be the "only" cracks, or is there another spot that commonly gets beaten up.

I don't do much wheeling (Once every month or two, and still stock height and tire size). Will just welding the cracks back hold it together? Should I plate over the vent and weld it in solid as opposed to leaving the plastic vent and hole there?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

The more you wheel with it and the more stress that you put on your Jeep, the worse it will get. That is a down side of a uni-body. As KTM stated if you put strengtheners in and a cage you will be alright. If you do decide to weld the cracks, use a mig or wire feed welder. I would not plug the vents up.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Seasoned Member

The more you wheel with it and the more stress that you put on your Jeep, the worse it will get. That is a down side of a uni-body. As KTM stated if you put strengtheners in and a cage you will be alright. If you do decide to weld the cracks, use a mig or wire feed welder. I would not plug the vents up.
So I will need to weld it up, and take it easy from here on out until I get some frame stiffeners to reduce my body flex?

Edit: And why not plug the vents? To me, it seems like having a plate there instead would increase the strength of the pillar by a lot?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

the vents are there so no windows pop out when you close your doors. not sure how tight an older xj is sealed though... might be able to weld them up. but covering them won't strengthen the entire unibody structure. That is just the first place that usually shows cracks on a 2 door xj. Its a sign that the rest of the body is weakening.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
the vents are there so no windows pop out when you close your doors. not sure how tight an older xj is sealed though... might be able to weld them up. but covering them won't strengthen the entire unibody structure. That is just the first place that usually shows cracks on a 2 door xj. Its a sign that the rest of the body is weakening.
Does that mean it's a sign to fix it and cut my losses and not really wheel anymore? :/ This has to be my DD for hopefully at least another 12 months...
Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

I will be completely honest with you. I am not 100% sure why there are vents in the pillars. I am under the impression that they must be there for a reason. That being said I would not weld them up.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:02 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cookrw
Does that mean it's a sign to fix it and cut my losses and not really wheel anymore? :/ This has to be my DD for hopefully at least another 12 months...
mine was cracked about as bad as yours was when i got it, put frame stiffeners and put over 2 years of hard wheeling on it before it got to the point of failure.

You can probably not worry about there is really no telling. If the cracks bother you, or the doors stop shutting so well, I would plate around it with some 14 guage sheet metal, but still leave a hole for cabin decompression.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

I will be completely honest with you. I am not 100% sure why there are vents in the pillars. I am under the impression that they must be there for a reason. That being said I would not weld them up.
cabin decompression. without them air wouldnt have a place to escape when the doors are shut and things will fall apart over time.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6

Interesting, so apparently the 4doors are more rigid than the 2doors?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks. I thought that might be it but I would much rather admit that I do not know something then to give someone who is looking for an answer an incorrect answer. Thanks for the info! : )

Quick Reply: Fix cracked B-pillar on a 2-door