Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Engine Swap

Hey guys, I've got a 2001 Limited Cherokee. I am doing an engine swap with the oh so famous, LS. I am deciding between a 5.3 or a 6.0. I'm thinking more along the lines of the 6.0 as it provides more horses and torque.

I have got everything planned out but I have one question for anyone that knows or has done an LS engine swap. In regards to the PCM/ECM, I know that I need to pull the one from the donor vehicle, BUT is there a need to keep the Cherokee's PCM? Any help would be GREAT!
Old 01-19-2017, 11:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Other than a lot of $$$$$ and replacing the entire drivetrain and differentials to trans/transfer case and a lot of fabrication skills it should be a piece of cake.

If I might ask what is the reason for this swap do you plan on drag racing it or what where you will need the HP of a 6.0 LS engine?
Old 01-19-2017, 11:38 AM

There's actually a website dedicated to this swap. All I need to swap is the radiator, relocate some stuff and get new driveshafts. The weight won't change anything with the diffs. And I'm building a mud bog/rock crawler which will call for replacing the differentials anyways. But the 4.0 isn't giving me the power I want. It's a fairly easy swap once I get the engine, trans, (I can keep the transfer case as it matches with the trans), radiator, fans, and some relocating brackets.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:09 PM

What website tells everything about the swap would love to read it. Thanks
Old 01-19-2017, 02:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

HERE...http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...ick-gm/xj-swap
Old 01-19-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cgeiss97
Hey guys, I've got a 2001 Limited Cherokee. I am doing an engine swap with the oh so famous, LS. I am deciding between a 5.3 or a 6.0. I'm thinking more along the lines of the 6.0 as it provides more horses and torque.

I have got everything planned out but I have one question for anyone that knows or has done an LS engine swap. In regards to the PCM/ECM, I know that I need to pull the one from the donor vehicle, BUT is there a need to keep the Cherokee's PCM? Any help would be GREAT!
What is your hp goal?

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Other than a lot of $$$$$ and replacing the entire drivetrain and differentials to trans/transfer case and a lot of fabrication skills it should be a piece of cake.

If I might ask what is the reason for this swap do you plan on drag racing it or what where you will need the HP of a 6.0 LS engine?
Everything stays except for the engine and transmission.

Novak has most of the adapters. It might be a $5000 swap with no fab skills.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr

Thanks for the website
Old 01-20-2017, 01:05 AM
CF Veteran

I wouldn't keep the stock t case rather use a ford np205,dana 300 or a atlas if i got money to burn.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

you only need to keep the jeep pcm if your trying to use the factory 01 xj gauges.

the cluster uses a multiplexed signal over a can-bus network to send information to the gauges. this signal can only be generated by the jeep pcm

you can however create a gauge cluster with gm compatible gauges and ripp the jeep computer out
Old 01-21-2017, 01:50 AM
CF Veteran

autometer has a gauge panel you can use if you want aftermarket gauges http://www.autometer.com/jeep-tj-dir...uge-panel.html
Old 01-21-2017, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

One of the reasons I was asking was because the XJ with it's uni-body was never designed for a V-8 much less one with a lot of HP. But I do see your reasoning just wondering about the platform is all.

They do make the swap look quite simple but as with many things it may not be as easy as it looks. Good luck on the swap if you go that route.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

Fred with a chassis reinforcement kits everyone sells should stiffen it up enough.If not they sell them for the front half of the frame also.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:15 AM

Talking

The HP goal is 400+ This should be fairly easy with a new set of heads and a new cam. As far as money goes its actually a lot cheaper than most realize. At least for me. Pull a part offers a V8 engine with accessories for about $240(not including tax) and a transmission (again not including tax). I plan on rebuilding my transfer case to be a little bit stronger than stock. All in all I am looking around 2000 for everything install. The reason it is so cheap is that I used to intern at a shop and the owner will help me install and wire everything no charge.

As far as the uni-body, it is not built for a V8 that is obviously correct. However the LS2 weighs just about as much as the I6, so not much weight difference. With the horses I am planning on putting out I will be upgrading many things that would just make me more comfortable, how ever it is not needed. Such as the front and rear axles, both diffs(will be going to lockers), and the front and rear driveshaft. Fabrication will be needed for the driveshafts as the lengths will differ from the stock driveshafts.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I may be young but I am very knowledgeable.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:50 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Fred with a chassis reinforcement kits everyone sells should stiffen it up enough.If not they sell them for the front half of the frame also.
Originally Posted by cgeiss97
The HP goal is 400+ This should be fairly easy with a new set of heads and a new cam. As far as money goes its actually a lot cheaper than most realize. At least for me. Pull a part offers a V8 engine with accessories for about $240(not including tax) and a transmission (again not including tax). I plan on rebuilding my transfer case to be a little bit stronger than stock. All in all I am looking around 2000 for everything install. The reason it is so cheap is that I used to intern at a shop and the owner will help me install and wire everything no charge.

As far as the uni-body, it is not built for a V8 that is obviously correct. However the LS2 weighs just about as much as the I6, so not much weight difference. With the horses I am planning on putting out I will be upgrading many things that would just make me more comfortable, how ever it is not needed. Such as the front and rear axles, both diffs(will be going to lockers), and the front and rear driveshaft. Fabrication will be needed for the driveshafts as the lengths will differ from the stock driveshafts.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I may be young but I am very knowledgeable.

I should have known that if it's for only 400-450 HP or so, that you have it covered.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I should have known that if it's for only 400-450 HP or so, that you have it covered.
LOL I see what you did there ...

Quick Reply: Engine Swap