Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ected Locker Wont Let Me Turn; WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 07:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Question Ected Locker Wont Let Me Turn; WTF?

Ok so its been a while since i had my front axle built & its been even longer since ive done a good trail run. Its a HP-d30, cryo'd 4.88's, 30spl chromo shafts, cryo'd spicer 297's, an EATON e-locker, royal purple synthetic gear oil, & all other parts are either new or still good to go. Now ive played around in the mud & done some small stuff but have not been in a situation to even engage the front locker.

So im droppin my son off & while waiting in the parking lot i got curious, put her in 4wd, flipped the switch & the SOB wouldnt let me turn the wheel & once i muscled the steering wheel, it literally pulled it right back to center & i was like, WTF??? As for steering, i have a 1-ton setup, a PSC gear box, & a quadratec power steering pump so theres NO lack of steering power at all!!

Anyone got any ideas on this cause theres no way in hell that i can engage the front locker on a trail run & be able to steer it in the least bit!!!!????

((Sorry guys, i have the EATON Elocker & not the ected!!))

Last edited by SeniorXJ; 10-02-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 V8

I know a front locker does mess with the steering radious but not that much ,i loose about 30 persent of mine ,have you tried it on dirt ?
Old 10-01-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Monterey ZJ
I know a front locker does mess with the steering radious but not that much ,i loose about 30 persent of mine ,have you tried it on dirt ?
Ive romped the hell out of it in mud, clay, & water, but i left the front open & had zero turning issues, so only on pavement have i engaged the locker. I used to have an aussie in the front & didnt have close to near this bad of a steering issue!!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

Originally Posted by SeniorXJ
Ive romped the hell out of it in mud, clay, & water, but i left the front open & had zero turning issues, so only on pavement have i engaged the locker. I used to have an aussie in the front & didnt have close to near this bad of a steering issue!!
this is your problem, when turning and trying to go forward, the locker wont let the wheels differentiate speeds, one slower and one faster, so you cant turn. this is normal on the street, and mine does the same thing (detroit up front) when i engage 4x4 on the street. but you cant tell the difference on dirt. it is not made for the street, you will just break something.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:48 PM

Well, well, well, it just so happens that where i park my jeep is in gravel, SO i went outside, put her in 4wd, flipped the switch, rolled fowards & backwards to make sure all is engaged, stopped & turned her left & right in the gravel & all was good. Guess i didnt expect to loose that much of the steering, plus im used to how the aussie felt. (i feel like a newb now!! LoL)
Old 10-01-2011, 09:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

Well, well, well, it just so happens that where i park my jeep is in gravel, SO i went outside, put her in 4wd, flipped the switch, rolled fowards & backwards to make sure all is engaged, stopped & turned her left & right in the gravel & all was good. Guess i didnt expect to loose that much of the steering, plus im used to how the aussie felt. (i feel like a newb now!! LoL)
its ok, i found out the same way...
Old 10-01-2011, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friendly jfyi, but I believe running synthetic oil in the ected might diminish the limited slip performance. Personally I think the limited slip in those are over rated anyways.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by crashmcwhly
A friendly jfyi, but I believe running synthetic oil in the ected might diminish the limited slip performance. Personally I think the limited slip in those are over rated anyways.
The EATON locker is the limited slip, not the ECTED Elocker which is open when not engaged!! Trust me on this one cauz i got em mixed up when i ordered them & almost landed up with the wrong locker!
Old 10-02-2011, 12:16 AM

The EATON locker is the limited slip, not the ECTED Elocker which is open when not engaged!! Trust me on this one cauz i got em mixed up when i ordered them & almost landed up with the wrong locker!
No offense...but I'll continue to trust myself and just research everyone else.

http://auburngear.com/aftermarket/pr...8-c6f9d7f93179
"the clutch pack (7), which is located behind the side gear (6) provides the limited slip mode"

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsS...als/PCT_221472
"Performs as an open differential until you decide that you need more traction"
Old 10-02-2011, 01:37 AM

Red face

Originally Posted by crashmcwhly
No offense...but I'll continue to trust myself and just research everyone else.

http://auburngear.com/aftermarket/pr...8-c6f9d7f93179
"the clutch pack (7), which is located behind the side gear (6) provides the limited slip mode"

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsS...als/PCT_221472
"Performs as an open differential until you decide that you need more traction"
HOLY CRAP I DID IT AGAIN... went to my jeep to look at the sticker & sure enough its the EATON Elocker that i have & the ected is the limited slip... ummm woops!!!

SeniorXJ is a

Sorry bout that!!
Old 10-02-2011, 03:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

I also adivse when wheeling not to engage your front till you get to an obstacle that needs the front locked in. Will definately help on the tight twisty trails.

I run a ARB in a D44 with drive slugs... so bascily acts like the d30 does on the trail.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:33 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PingPong
I also adivse when wheeling not to engage your front till you get to an obstacle that needs the front locked in. Will definately help on the tight twisty trails.

I run a ARB in a D44 with drive slugs... so bascily acts like the d30 does on the trail.

That was actually the plan when i built it, leave the front open until its needed & also i wanted a full case locker to minimize ring deflection. I originally wanted an ARB to match the rear but i got a good deal on the 30spl Eaton.