Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy idea for rock sliders

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Lightbulb Crazy idea for rock sliders

This is just a crazy idea that I had today. I think the tube rock sliders are just plain ugly, but they are very useful. So I was wondering if it would be fesable to weld two plates (one at the front one at the back) on the unibody rail with a threaded stud on each one, then take the typical 2x6 tube and drill holes to match the studs, then use wing nuts maybe to hold it on. That way when Im just out on the road I dont have to look at them, but when I occationaly hit a trail where they are needed I can put them on. I know that you cant just put a solid plate because the jeep has to flex and bend. Thoughts? Am I out of my mind or onto something? Ill draw something up in CAD when I get home and post it.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Well, the solid plate is exactly what frame stiffeners are...to STOP the flexing & bending.

Any removable slider will not be as strong as something permanent due to the inherent strength loss in the connections, but I'm sure something could be made to work.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by TRCM
Well, the solid plate is exactly what frame stiffeners are...to STOP the flexing & bending.

Any removable slider will not be as strong as something permanent due to the inherent strength loss in the connections, but I'm sure something could be made to work.
True. I read on one of these threads on welding to the unibody that making it solid would rip welds off. Maybe not, IDK. Im neither an expert on unibodies or welding. Just thinking out loud.

Currently I do not wheel very hard, I know that it wont be as strong but Im thinking it might be strong enough for my needs. Ill run a test in solidworks and see the stress load
Old 10-18-2016, 06:17 PM

Here's a picture to clarify
Old 10-19-2016, 12:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Why not do the rocker replacement with the 2x6 tubing?After its painted unless your a jeep person youll never know its not factory.Or something like this http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJ/XJSL-CR.html but with out the rub rail if you want it stock looking.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:43 AM

Had not thought about doing a full replacement. That might just fit the bill.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A step up is boatside sliders https://hooliganoffroadengineering.c...atside-diy-kit
Old 10-19-2016, 11:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by TRCM

This 100%.

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Why not do the rocker replacement with the 2x6 tubing?After its painted unless your a jeep person youll never know its not factory.Or something like this http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJ/XJSL-CR.html but with out the rub rail if you want it stock looking.
And this 100%