Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooper Discoverer STT PRO Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 01:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO
Default Cooper Discoverer STT PRO Review

Hey all, a few months ago it was time for new tires since my old Super Swampers were done. After much thought and consideration I decided to take a gamble on a new tire that little information was available on, the new Cooper STT Pro.
My first thought when I saw them in pictures, was that they would theoretically make an awesome rock tire. The tread looks quite similar to a Pit Bull Rocker, toned down a little bit, and I had heard nothing but good about the old STTs.
I met somebody who was running these, and they looked even more impressive in person, and ran true to size, at least in 35x12.50x15. So I bought a set.
I've put about 1000 miles on them with no discernible wear yet. They are fairly quiet on the street, and balanced with beads run smooth up to 75mph. That impressed me a lot for a large aggressive tire.
Then I took them off-road. Aired down to 10psi, they flex well enough and grip amazing on every terrain I've been on (rock, dirt, snow, mud). The compound is quite soft, these two pictures were before and after one trail run, spinning them will feather them fast. But they grip well enough that wheelspin is rarely necessary. Amazing tires for rock crawling, a TJ ended up on its side following me up this line.

I don't wheel in mud, but the mud that I have encountered they do...well? I didn't get stuck so that makes them good I guess, lol.
For snow and ice on-road I was slightly wary since I've always run Swampers that have been custom siped to the point of resembling actual snow tires, and these don't have a whole lot of siping. We got a large snowstorm on Thanksgiving, so I went out to do some skids, and encountered a problem. I couldn't get it sideways in a paved space with 6 inches of powder on top of sheet ice. They just grip like crazy.

Today went snow wheeling with some friends, some places had up to 3 feet of snow, and they kept pulling and never got me stuck. Running 10PSI I never had to air down more, and had very minimal slippage in places where MT/Rs, KM2s, IROKs, and chained up Grabbers were sliding. The only other guy making progress with as little effort as me, was a 4Runner on the same Coopers as me.

If you have questions or want more pictures of the tires, I can post them and probably have an answer.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

I appreciate how much detail you put into your review, lots of great information on here!
Old 11-29-2015, 09:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97

I would like to know how the side walls hold up compared to the originals. Hopefully they are a bit thicker.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by RoyalXJ
I would like to know how the side walls hold up compared to the originals. Hopefully they are a bit thicker.
x2

I'm looking to move on from my duratracs because of this same problem. Way too weak of sidewalls even for the mild wheeling I do.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97

Yeah I had side wall picture issues with the old design stt
Old 11-29-2015, 11:38 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RoyalXJ
They are fairly thick, not as thick as my old Swampers but they are three ply. Scrubbing against rocks and tree roots they haven't scuffed or cut at all, but I haven't beat on them that much
Old 11-29-2015, 12:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

x2 on these tires, i went from the old style cooper stt muds in a 33 up to the new cooper stt pro in a 35 on my 98 xj. way more quiet on the road then i expected aired to 25 lbs. i have wheeled them at 10lbs 4 times on rock, dirt a little mud & couldnt be happier.no snow here yet , but looks like no problem there. better then the old stt by far & i thought that tire did very well. also coopers are always lower in price then the same style tires by most other tire makers, made in the usa too. i got some relatives in the denver area, i got to get my jeep out there to wheel sometime, MD is a lame state for wheelin.
Old 11-29-2015, 04:40 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

im glad this is a positive reveiw, sucks that they discontinued the stts tho, i was planning on getting them in a 35x12.5 when the time came, but these seem like a good replacement at least
Old 11-30-2015, 12:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I am also very impressed with them as well. they really shine in loose cobly rocks and boulders. Have not had a chance to mud test them but i have no hesitations. For me at Street pressure they are great in slush and powder and not so good on ice (at street pressure)
Old 11-30-2015, 01:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

Old 11-30-2015, 09:56 PM
Banned

Year: 1997

In the snow pictures the tread pattern reminds me of a bfg but without the snow they appear to have more aggressive tread blocks and siping.

Good looking tire....
Old 11-30-2015, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Jrozar
In the snow pictures the tread pattern reminds me of a bfg but without the snow they appear to have more aggressive tread blocks and siping.

Good looking tire....
they look somewhere between a duratrac and a km2
Old 11-30-2015, 10:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

Hmm. Might have to buy a new set of the stt pros in the spring when I go up to 35s. I bought 33 stt's around this time last year, I like them a decent bit, but I've found the sidewalls of the old ones to be pretty weak, which was the old stt main downfall for me.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by WyoCherokee
I am also very impressed with them as well. they really shine in loose cobly rocks and boulders. Have not had a chance to mud test them but i have no hesitations. For me at Street pressure they are great in slush and powder and not so good on ice (at street pressure)
I'm used to running Swampers. Anything is better on ice than Swampers lol