Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cherokee xj lift

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee xj lift

First of all this is my first thread. I've been turning to CF for a long time browsing and have had nothing but positive results. I've have a few jeeps, but this is my first 4x. My question is what's a good lift for my 96 2door 4x4 with TC drop? I've had a 2' on my 4D 2x bit looking for something a little higher. Maybe 3' Thanks . Ps let me know if I out this in the wrong place it's my first day...
Old 04-09-2015, 09:37 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

Correct place.
Might I suggest that you take a look through the jeep build section to get a relative idea of what you're looking for.
Rubicon Express has great kits but they are on the pricey side: they include everything.
You may also be interested in the budget lifts that many here have performed.

And I'm sure Serious Offroad will chime in here any moment.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

3 to 4.5 is a good size lift to have and i would use the t case drop for a sye.
Old 04-10-2015, 01:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

With RE you have several options in 3.5" ranging from $577.99 for the basic add-a-leaf up through the full leaf pack kit with all you'll need at $1080.99. You can build a custom kit too if you want to add track bars and such. They are a little more pricey than some but not as bad as others. You do get what you pay for.

It all depends on what you want to do with it and how much work you want to do to get there.

Here's what we have.
Rubicon Express Lifts

Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:55 AM

Much thanks everyone
Old 04-11-2015, 11:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Make sure you check out the Vendor Showcase here. Lot's of great products available.
Old 04-12-2015, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by 2D4WD2.5
Much thanks everyone
What did you decide? Ebay, Summit and Amazon have the best prices I have found
Old 04-13-2015, 01:42 AM
CF Veteran

I trust our vendors more then someone on ebay i don't know.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:51 AM

I thinking oem 2' lift coils with sway disconnects and order new factory leafs with 2' shackles. And some nicer shocks. I've put spacers/ shackle/ shock kits on one of my jeeps factory suspension and the shocks we're toast within the year. My XJ now is a 2door 2.5 so I don't really want to get too crazy with my lift since I'll prob only go as big as 31' tires. I'll keep a record of my build and post it one day when I feel it's worthy.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:52 AM
CF Veteran

Rustys Off Road full leaf/coil lifts have some of the best springs out there bar none starting with the 3" kit. I used the base 3" for my 4 1/2" lift now works great.

You will need and TC drop kit for the 3" lift, over that an SYE is required IMHO and a Adj. Track Bar with a base 3" kit. It is a considerable amount (cost wise) to build the 4 1/2" lift "Properly" over the 3". But with his kit I found it to be very easy to do so using the same leafs and coils using Boomerang Shackles and adj. coil spacers. Its everything else that brings the cost up so high if done properly.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:23 PM

Year: 1994.5
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Rustys Off Road full leaf/coil lifts have some of the best springs out there bar none starting with the 3" kit. I used the base 3" for my 4 1/2" lift now works great.

You will need and TC drop kit for the 3" lift, over that an SYE is required IMHO and a Adj. Track Bar with a base 3" kit. It is a considerable amount (cost wise) to build the 4 1/2" lift "Properly" over the 3". But with his kit I found it to be very easy to do so using the same leafs and coils using Boomerang Shackles and adj. coil spacers. Its everything else that brings the cost up so high if done properly.
Fred/N0AZZ
sounds like I got the 3" lift parts you recommend covered ( Rusty's 3" w/ full leaf packs and coils , shocks , u bolts , etc + 31" Fun Country Dick Cepeks on 15" black steelies as a package deal -thanks Rusty's!)
and I also added the TC lowering kit as well as a RC adjustable trackbar + motor mounts and transmission mounts and all bushings ( they are 1995 OEMs and needing replacement for the upcountry kit that it came with ) .
Might I inquire as to my only remaining concern prior to install ; will the stock sway bar end links be alright and capable of being reused ? I am rebuilding this for my wife and those are the only part I didn't order ; she won't be serious off-roading and Rusty's said they should suffice ( I did get new bushings and upper bushings to replace dry rotted ones as well as the mount bushings ) ... I want to keep front sway bar and I can upgrade to longer but want to install all this other before I do so .... can stock end links suffice for a few weeks and Allow this to be road worthy for a couple weeks after 3" lift install ?
thanks !
Old 04-16-2015, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Yes it will work for a while then I might suggest a set of Sway Bar Disconnects. They give you better flex off road with it disconnected and all you do is pull a pin to do so.

Hope your as pleased with your kit as I've been with mine for over 3 yrs. now. A good set of shocks later helps even more, I went with Bilstein on mine when I raised it another 1 1/2".
Old 04-16-2015, 07:18 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

I broke 3 stock links on the first 3" Zone lift on the road over a couple months. It isn't catastrophic but does drive a bit funny when one breaks.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:56 PM

Yes it will work for a while then I might suggest a set of Sway Bar Disconnects. They give you better flex off road with it disconnected and all you do is pull a pin to do so.

Hope your as pleased with your kit as I've been with mine for over 3 yrs. now. A good set of shocks later helps even more, I went with Bilstein on mine when I raised it another 1 1/2".
that's good news on the Rusty's ,Fred/N0AZZ... yup, I'm most familiar w/ the q-disco ( I have three Jeeps ; XJ is wifey's and her beloved XJ was playing 2nd fiddle to my crawler JKUr so for 400,000 original mile celebration , the original Upcountry package is getting a total makeover ... I will eventually get discos ( probably Synergy) but she just takes the kids to school and I'll take the Cherry with the kids dirt bikes places so ....not gonna rock crawl AORP with it headed to 500k , but I have no doubt that it could make it 😏
I very much appreciate the confirmation. I got all new bushings for everything , including stock swAybar , end links ,motor mounts , tranny mount , blah blah blah .... they are all shot and deserve the attn!
jeep on!
Old 05-25-2015, 08:39 AM

Any tips on getting the centering pins to line-up appreciated; I had the darn floor jack drop the rear axle while installing ystrdy; got it back up and mounted and jacked into place after leafs were connected and I cant align the darn centering pins for that last little bit of getting them into the leafpack holes! arg....gotta get front done by morning and only this is preventing my moving forward....

Quick Reply: Cherokee xj lift