Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bushings and ball joints

Old 02-17-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default bushings and ball joints

So I'm new here and just bought my first cherokee, it's a '95 sport and I have some questions about some parts I'm looking at buying and I figured I would try to get them all figured out here in one post. First of all I'm looking at ordering my parts from Morris 4x4 since they seem to have a pretty good stock of parts. I'm looking at ordering the rough country lift, and I'm also looking at replacing all of my bushings so I'm also looking at buying the energy suspension master bushing set, but I need to know if I'm going to be able to use the lower control arm bushings in the tubular lower control arms that come with the rough country kit. I would also like to know if I should look into some heavier duty ball joints, or if the ball joint set they have will suffice, because I'll be replacing all of my ball joints too. And also, what brand of u-joints would you all recommend that are a reasonable price.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Well, If you are buying a bushing kit and a lift kit, the bushings will all be new and different then a kit designed for a stock "factory" setup. the only usable ones I can think of are the axle side upper bushings (assuming your kit has new arms) the bushing kit sounds like a waist of money to me. what lift are you planing on getting?

As for front axle joints, what axle shafts do you have? the small joints? or the large joints? (abs only for your year IIRC) If you have the large joint shafts I would get spicer 760X joints (from a D60) will fit right in. If they are the smaller joints only real option is the stock joint size, any off the shelf should work.

If you plan on off-roading I would swap to the shafts with the larger joints for more strength while you have it apart (just pull the shafts at a JY). If you plan on camping/dirt roads or street rig only any stock replacement joint should be ok.

I have had good luck with Moog ball joints. Spicer ball joints have been ok. Good on my old D30, not so good to me on my D44...

Links to said iteams would help as I can see what your planing on buying to make better opinions and advise.

Last edited by Gorillaxj; 02-17-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:22 PM

Sorry I didn't specify that, but I'm going with the rough country 3" series II kit --> here (the add-a-leaf kit) and the only new bushings are the ones in the lower control arms that come with the kit, which is why I'm planning on getting the kit --> here I'm guessing I have the smaller joints, but I don't know (like I said, I'm new to jeeps) although I know I have the chrysler 8.25. I didn't even consider MOOG but I'll definitely look into them. Thanks for the info btw.