Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Axle wrap with 2" AAL

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Axle wrap with 2" AAL

2001 XJ Sport 4x4 4.0 I6.

After installing a 2" budget boost consisting of spacers in the front and long AAL in the rear I have had a problem. Been trying to diagnose it and research forums for a solution but EVERY forum I came across that seemed to address my exact issue has not listed any solutions or fixes. So it's time to post my own and im praying Someone will be able to help me.

The issue: At any speed (but A LOT more noticable as the speed increases) when im coasting if I SLIGHTLY tap on the gas I get a clunk and grind from the rear end. If I play with the pedal ever so slightly I can get it where it's depressed about 1mm I can make it constantly grind if I hold it in that spot. When releasing the gas to coast on the highway or slow down for a merge or to let others merge it clunks and grinds for a second before the pedal is COMPLETLY released. Again, when I get back on the gas the clunk happens again untill I press the pedal more than a few millimeters then everything is normal. I can make this happen everysingle time I press the gas ever so slightly. After the initial millimeter it cruises normal and after I release pedal she coasts normal at all speeds. There is no shaking of anything.

I have changed rear Ujoints, greased slip yoke (twice), changed rear diff fluid and tightened all my suspension components. I also changed tranny mount which caused my ujoints to bind up so I replaced old one but that too didnt fix the problem. Could Axle wrap be the culprit at only 2"? I'm thinking of installing a set of leaf-helper springs to see if that might steady the weak leaf springs. The truck sits perfectly level after 3 months of having the 2" kit installed and again this issue only came about directly after the lift was installed. I'm stumpped and unfortunetly can't afford a mechanic to take a look bc im closing on a new house so i'm reaching out to my Cherokee Forum friends!! Thank-you guys for taking the time to help!
Old 07-25-2015, 10:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Easy to fix...Just remove what you installed and throw away or sell on eBay.

Then buy a budget 3" full leaf/coil package with shocks and all hardware like a Rustys 3" $438 excellent quality springs made in NA not China like most all the others. Then all of those problems will go away, never use an AAL as all they do is cover up an old worn out leaf causing those problems and others.

Any lift is only as good as the quality of the leafs and to some extent the coils. Do it right the first time and be done with it, or till you decide to build on what you already have.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:52 PM

What brand was your ads a leaf? I just installed a Rough Country AAL with Rough Country 2.0 shocks all the way around. It added 2.5 inches to the rear. There is a vibration when accelerating between 30-40 mph. Researching online, some people drop the transfer case to resolve vibrations. If I can't fix, I will remove and just replace everything with whole new springs and shocks that match.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:52 PM

Thank-you for the replies!!

I would love new packs and springs but It's just not in the budget ATM.

It was a Pro-comp kit, very good quality I thought. Everything installed no problem and yes, vibes can often be taken care of with a TC drop. Im not experiencing any vibes of any kind just sort of a slap and grind when very gently pressing and releasing gas pedal. It's annoying as can be because it happens everytime and the grind makes me wince! I've definitely traced the sound to the rear of the truck around the rear axle.

Could a rear trackbar cause anything of this sort? Bc mine is very rusted but bushings seem OK.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

I think you mean the rear "Sway Bar" not track bar and that can be removed and thrown in the trash.

BTW Pro-Comp is NOT a quality kit but I think on those made in China and not by the Aussies. The AAL's were a Band-Aid where you should have had surgery.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 07-26-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I think you mean the rear "Sway Bar" not track bar and that can be removed and thrown in the trash.

BTW Pro-Comp is NOT a quality kit but I think on those made in China and not by the Aussies. The AAL's were a Band-Aid where you should have had surgery.
I agree, Fred. I wish I had the money to do it right and get the extra 1" but until I can afford to do it right, hopefully after the closing process, i was hoping the fix here might be some grease somewhere or an adjustment. You say I don't need the rear swaybar? Maybe it's the culprit because it is so rusted and weak looking. Any drawbacks to not having one installed? Or is it all benefits and really obsolete? I do thank you for your time.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:42 AM
CF Veteran

I would venture to say 90% of the people on this forum have discarded them and the XJ's could be ordered without them and some models came without them.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I would venture to say 90% of the people on this forum have discarded them and the XJ's could be ordered without them and some models came without them.
Thank you so much for the help Fred, I am going to remove it this week and see what happens!!
Old 10-19-2015, 05:39 PM

I just installed a rubicon express 3.5 in lift and my jeep is doing the exact same thing. Its a clunk then grind when pedal is lightly pressed, especially noticeable at highway speeds. I removed the rear sway bar during the lift so thats not the issue
Old 10-23-2015, 07:44 AM

[QUOTE=Chonson;3116872]2001 XJ Sport 4x4 4.0 I6.

The issue: At any speed (but A LOT more noticable as the speed increases) when im coasting if I SLIGHTLY tap on the gas I get a clunk and grind from the rear end. If I play with the pedal ever so slightly I can get it where it's depressed about 1mm I can make it constantly grind if I hold it in that spot. When releasing the gas to coast on the highway or slow down for a merge or to let others merge it clunks and grinds for a second before the pedal is COMPLETLY released. Again, when I get back on the gas the clunk happens again untill I press the pedal more than a few millimeters then everything is normal. I can make this happen everysingle time I press the gas ever so slightly. After the initial millimeter it cruises normal and after I release pedal she coasts normal at all speeds. There is no shaking of anything.

I too have been having almost this exact same issue. Except my lift was 3" RC with shocks and AAL. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm about 90% sure an SYE would fix my issue though. Still looking for other options though. Is it possible to do an SYE without getting a new driveshaft?
Old 10-23-2015, 08:11 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

This is die to incorrect driveline angles. Transfer case drop and shims or SYE driveshaft and shims will fix the grinding.