Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AussieLocker-o.k. for a daily driver or not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default AussieLocker-o.k. for a daily driver or not?

http://www.aussielocker.com/index.ph...-xd-13027.html

Is this something that you can use for a DD or not? I am new to the forum and new to 4WD. I'm guessing the answer is "no" since it's so cheap. I don't want to buy something that will be loud or kill my tires.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely fine to drive on road. Its noisy but if that doesnt bother you then I dont see why not. If you dont want it locked just dont put your foot on the gas. put the clutch down around corners and you wont have any annoying knocks or squeeling.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

yes it is okay for a dd. I do not have one and i am just telling you from what i have read on here.

It is okay and will not even work unless you are in 4wd(it will not engage until torque is sent through it) but it makes noises when turning sharp. a clicking sound.

Some one correct me if i am wrong.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:14 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one in your link is for a dana 30 which is the front diff so you won't even notice it when driving. It will only engage when you are in 4wd. Locking the rear will cause all the clicking noises and such that they are talking about.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:43 PM

Year: 99
Engine: 4 ohh

hijack/what about one for a 8.25? okay for DD?
Old 08-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by brookhart63
hijack/what about one for a 8.25? okay for DD?
Yes if you don't mind the clicking and adjust your driving habits in turns.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:14 PM

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

what about in the snow? has any one experienced them with winter driving?
Old 08-09-2011, 04:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by jmm0122
The one in your link is for a dana 30 which is the front diff so you won't even notice it when driving. It will only engage when you are in 4wd. Locking the rear will cause all the clicking noises and such that they are talking about.
do you even have one or know WTF you are talking about? You will get the clicking from the front when in 2wd.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:15 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by krawlthis
what about in the snow? has any one experienced them with winter driving?
depends on who you are. some like it and some hate it
Old 08-09-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hoooper
depends on who you are. some like it and some hate it
just curious if it will be more prone to sliding cuz both tires are moving around corners. instead of the little screech you get on pavement it might cause you to slide? really my biggest concern with driving with on in the winter, but i could allways just take it out in the winter and put it back in the during the wheeling months right? it is just a lunchbox locker
Old 08-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Registered Users

do you even have one or know WTF you are talking about? You will get the clicking from the front when in 2wd.
Wow calm down chief. I do happen to know what I'm talking about. The current Aussie locker in the front of my xj makes no noise what so ever when I'm in 2wd. The locker in the rear of my 95 xj clicked like crazy. But maybe im just a crazy person and bought a special locker that doest click, who knows. I like your approach though, makes you sound like a really fun person to be around.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

I like mine in the winter. It doesnt cause any sliding more than normal that I have noticed. If anything, less sliding. For the front if you arent driving in 4wd it wont make a difference either way really, but in 4wd my opinion and experience is that it makes snow/ice driving a point and shoot exercise. If youre sliding, just point the tires where you want to go and it gets you there.

That said, there will be someone who comes in and claims their front locker caused them to slide sideways off a cliff where they would have not slid at all without a locker
Old 08-09-2011, 04:25 PM

I like mine in the winter. It doesnt cause any sliding more than normal that I have noticed. If anything, less sliding. For the front if you arent driving in 4wd it wont make a difference either way really, but in 4wd my opinion and experience is that it makes snow/ice driving a point and shoot exercise. If youre sliding, just point the tires where you want to go and it gets you there.

That said, there will be someone who comes in and claims their front locker caused them to slide sideways off a cliff where they would have not slid at all without a locker
sweetness. im deffenatly going to buy one now. thanks a ton broseph
Old 08-09-2011, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Wow calm down chief. I do happen to know what I'm talking about. The current Aussie locker in the front of my xj makes no noise what so ever when I'm in 2wd. The locker in the rear of my 95 xj clicked like crazy. But maybe im just a crazy person and bought a special locker that doest click, who knows. I like your approach though, makes you sound like a really fun person to be around.
nobody online is around me, buddy, therefore i dont give 2 sharts what people online think and my attitude will reflect that. that said, I have a spartan, and it clicks around slow and tight corners. 95% of people with an autolocker in the front will say the same thing. Along with most Aussie owners saying theirs are super loud

Last edited by Hoooper; 08-09-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

Lol!.Not an an Aussie but my Lockright up front doesnt click either in 2wd.

Last edited by Skunkape; 08-09-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Quick Reply: AussieLocker-o.k. for a daily driver or not?