Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Aftermarket radiator

Hey peeps, I'm having cooling issues with my 99 Cherokee sport, 4.0
I'm going to replace the radiator and I'm thinking of going with an aluminum performance radiator. I'd like to go with a duel core, has anyone here or know of anyone that has done this? Is there and fitment issues? Anyone know what radiators to use and or stay away from?

Thanks for any thoughts, info
Old 07-25-2016, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My son and I both have XJ's his a 98 mine a 99, both of them are running stock OEM type from AutoZone about $100. They both run cool mine even with AC on off road in mountains.

Before you do anything clean/flush the cooling sys/heater core several times till it comes out clear water.

If it is still running hot replace the radiator, water pump, fan clutch, belts. My runs cool in the mountains on highway pulling a trailer with an RZR on it before we sold it. Never a over heating at any time.

OTOH if you do a search you will find many posts about problems with aftermarket radiators like you asked about. With your system in good operating condition all should be good, check to see if your electric fan is coming on at the proper temp. If all is good you will have no problems in your 99.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Model: Comanche

I have a cfs 3 core and it is thicker thank stock by about .5-1"

Last edited by zebvance; 07-25-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Where did you get your 3 core from and how much did you pay if you don't mine telling us .
Old 07-25-2016, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Model: Comanche

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...ad=47433950292
Old 07-25-2016, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
My son and I both have XJ's his a 98 mine a 99, both of them are running stock OEM type from AutoZone about $100. They both run cool mine even with AC on off road in mountains.

Before you do anything clean/flush the cooling sys/heater core several times till it comes out clear water.

If it is still running hot replace the radiator, water pump, fan clutch, belts. My runs cool in the mountains on highway pulling a trailer with an RZR on it before we sold it. Never a over heating at any time.

OTOH if you do a search you will find many posts about problems with aftermarket radiators like you asked about. With your system in good operating condition all should be good, check to see if your electric fan is coming on at the proper temp. If all is good you will have no problems in your 99.
I've replaced everything but the radiator and the water pump... Including sensors, flushed the rad twice. The problem I'm having is not exactly over heating... The jeep runs at normal temp all day but as soon as I turn on my a/c or pull a steep hill the temp will not gradually climb but jump to the hot line once I the rpms come down or I turn off the a/c (depending on situation) it goes back to normal. I don't actually lose any coolant or "over heat" per say... It only has 110k miles on it, it's spent most of its life as a trail rig or grocery getter before that. I only started Daily driving it about 6-8 months ago.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:29 PM

I thought about a performance rad, glad I saved the money. I put my 3 core in back in May off amazon for around 70. Bought this one Click Here Its been great. No more overheating, rust or leaks. Really straight forward to install. You'll need a cap, since it doesn't come with one. It was time for a new one, mine was leaking anyway. I took my thermostat out and flushed it twice before changing it, and you'll need to flush it again after installing it too according to warranty. I did have to swap 2 top bumpers over to the new one and drill two of the holes bigger. Then I put in a new Mopar thermostat and gasket in and burped it. Now when watching the temp guage, when it reaches 212 degrees it drops just below 210. It's like watching the tach drop after switching gears. love it.

Last edited by Jacobus; 07-25-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:35 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1997

Check to make sure your auxiliary fan is working like it's supposed to. It doesn't sound like it is. It should be on when the AC is on and also when coolant is at ~218*. You replaced everything except the two most important pieces. Rad and water pump are pretty reasonably priced at the parts store and even better with an online coupon.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tsaani97xj
Check to make sure your auxiliary fan is working like it's supposed to. It doesn't sound like it is. It should be on when the AC is on and also when coolant is at ~218*. You replaced everything except the two most important pieces. Rad and water pump are pretty reasonably priced at the parts store and even better with an online coupon.
The fan is working correctly, one of the first things I checked, I have not replaced the water pump or radiator because like I said the engine isn't actually over heating... I don't have any coolant loss.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Heck a new radiator, water pump, fan clutch would only be about $200 for OEM and from what you say you may not have much of a problem at all if any.

I have ran my AC on some very difficult and slow moving trails for several hrs. at a time in upper 90* temps and never overheat.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:16 PM

The factory components will keep your jeep cool if everything is working correctly. Have you completely washed out your radiator/condenser fins? If air won't go through it won't cool.

I'm running 32's with a 4.5" lift and 4.10 gears. I can pull my 12' trailer at 70mph down the interstate at 110deg ambient temp with AC on max and she runs dead on 210. If your jeep is hot, something is not working right.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cvail
The factory components will keep your jeep cool if everything is working correctly. Have you completely washed out your radiator/condenser fins? If air won't go through it won't cool.

I'm running 32's with a 4.5" lift and 4.10 gears. I can pull my 12' trailer at 70mph down the interstate at 110deg ambient temp with AC on max and she runs dead on 210. If your jeep is hot, something is not working right.
Obviously something something isn't working right hence the post lol, yes I've cleaned out the fins in the rad, even combed the bent fins... I'm running 35"s with a 5.5" lift and 4:56 gear and my jeep usually runs 210 in the las Vegas 100-120deg heat with the a/c on. Once again the jeep is not over heating (losing coolant) the temp Gage will randomly spike for maybe a min then drop back to normal. I've posted a list of things I've replaced and or tried already in previous posts. Replacing the rad with a bigger aluminum rad is just option I'm thinking of trying to maybe correct the situation and was wondering if anyone had any issues when doing this with an after market high performance style radiator?
Old 07-28-2016, 04:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

Have you actually confirmed that these temp spikes are real and not just a symptom of a failing sensor/wiring?

You may also just have a crummy thermostat that isn't opening/closing smoothly or isn't consistent about what temp it opens/closes.

You may also simply have a bad radiator cap.

Lots of guys have temperature regulation problems that are caused by thermostats, fan clutches, or radiator caps but want to go whole hog buying a new radiator or more without knowing what the real cause is. A good OEM rad is all any XJ I've ever seen needs to stay cool with a properly maintained system and costs $70-100. Other rads, especially "high performance" ones cost way more, but if your problem is a $6 thermostat or rad cap, you're just throwing your money away, and thermostats especially like to be faulty straight from the factory if you don't buy a quality product like Stant Superstat or a Mopar stat.

I've seen many reports of fitment issues for all the aluminum rads I know of, and I'm not sure most of them are even being made anymore. I'm sure there are plenty from disreputable sources, but if you want to risk your money and Jeep on something like that, go for it. I did a "fancy" 3-row copper+brass rad on my last XJ, and it just wasn't worth it. It didn't do ANYTHING that my current XJ's $70 OEM-style 1-row Spectra rad can't do, and this Spectra has already lasted longer than that "fancy" rad did.

Last edited by mschi772; 07-30-2016 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:01 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

I got mine quite a bit cheaper from Auto Parts Warehouse:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...L/CSF2671.html

Amazon also carries it for about $220.

https://www.amazon.com/CSF-98-01-Jee...words=csf+2671
Old 08-03-2016, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by mschi772
Have you actually confirmed that these temp spikes are real and not just a symptom of a failing sensor/wiring?

You may also just have a crummy thermostat that isn't opening/closing smoothly or isn't consistent about what temp it opens/closes.

You may also simply have a bad radiator cap.

Lots of guys have temperature regulation problems that are caused by thermostats, fan clutches, or radiator caps but want to go whole hog buying a new radiator or more without knowing what the real cause is. A good OEM rad is all any XJ I've ever seen needs to stay cool with a properly maintained system and costs $70-100. Other rads, especially "high performance" ones cost way more, but if your problem is a $6 thermostat or rad cap, you're just throwing your money away, and thermostats especially like to be faulty straight from the factory if you don't buy a quality product like Stant Superstat or a Mopar stat.

I've seen many reports of fitment issues for all the aluminum rads I know of, and I'm not sure most of them are even being made anymore. I'm sure there are plenty from disreputable sources, but if you want to risk your money and Jeep on something like that, go for it. I did a "fancy" 3-row copper+brass rad on my last XJ, and it just wasn't worth it. It didn't do ANYTHING that my current XJ's $70 OEM-style 1-row Spectra rad can't do, and this Spectra has already lasted longer than that "fancy" rad did.
No I'm not positive it's not an electrical issue, but I have replaced the sensors and everything except the rad and water pump...

Quick Reply: Aftermarket radiator