Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket mods to get

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Aftermarket mods to get

Alright my 95 XJ automatic is good but not perfect. Everything is stock or replaced stock. What can I upgrade to make her live forever or at least till I die. I'm talking serious performance enhancements and durability.
Anything helps
Old 02-25-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I like this article for some common 4.0 engine mods and whether they actually do anything or not.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...ing-true-lies/
Old 02-25-2017, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by AL 2B king
I'm talking serious performance enhancements and durability.
That smog motor was never envisioned for performance. Basic routine maintenance and not flogging the crap of it for the longest service life. The rust will put it in the ground eventually.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

More toward the performance part of thr question. I bought the cheapest cps on eBay I could find them did cruiser54's mod for advancing the base timing. In my case it did nothing for mpg, nothing for wot, but cruising down the freeway at 70 is notacibly smoother with less throttle required.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Cummins93
I bought the cheapest cps on eBay I could find
May want to carry a spare or three.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

That was 3 or 4 years ago. Many many miles, summer and winter...... You bet I still have my factory CPS in the glove box.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I bought a $6 Throttle Position Sensor on Ebay from China, and it still works just fine a year later. I keep a Mopar junkyard pull in my truck tool box just incase. Probably luck of the draw to be honest
Old 02-26-2017, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

Frame stiffiners then get the underbody if its not already starting to rust.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AL 2B king
Alright my 95 XJ automatic is good but not perfect. Everything is stock or replaced stock. What can I upgrade to make her live forever or at least till I die. I'm talking serious performance enhancements and durability.
Anything helps
I would start with excellent motor oil.

An excellent 5-30 conventional motor oil would help your engine last longer. Namely Penzoil 5-30 yellow bottle conventional. I'm sure there are other great 5-30 conventional oils, but I don't know which other ones to recommend. If I had to use some other brand of conventional 5-30 oil, it'd be one of the brands mentioned below.

Even better (but slightly more expensive) would be a good 5-40 synthetic motor oil. My favorites I recommend (in order of my preferences) are:[indent]Valvoline Maxlife 5-40 Euro (formulated for high mileage diesel and gas engines) It's an excellent oil if you can get some. It's widely used in Europe. Not sold in USA, but you might find some online somewhere (perhaps Ebay or Amazon?). I've never been able to buy any in the USA, but I'd love to because it's the best high mileage oil in the world, IMO. It has an excellent synthetic base oil (one of the best) and LOTS of good additives.
Penzoil Platinum Euro 5-40 (formulated for Euro gas muscle cars and by happy accident older USA gas cars). It's what I use. It has an excellent synthetic base oil (arguably the best) and lots of good additives. It's a Euro oil, but an auto store in my town carries it. It is available in USA. This is the oil Ferrari and Masarati recommend.

Shell Rotella 5-40 (formulated for diesel engines and older USA gas engines). It has a very good synthetic base oil (one of the best) and LOTS of good additives. This oil is available almost everywhere, even in some Walmarts. This is a best buy because it's the lowest cost of the great oils.

Chevron Supreme 5-40 (formulated for Euro gas muscle cars and modern USA gas muscle cars. It works fine in older USA gas cars too). It has a very good synthetic oil base (one of the best) with good additives.

Chevron Delo 5-40 (formulated for diesel and older gas engines) It has a good synthetic base and lots of good additives. This is a best buy since it's almost as low cost as Shell.

Lucas 5-40 (formulated for diesel and USA muscle cars) It has a good synthetic base and good additives.

Mobil One 5-40 Turbo Diesel (formulated for diesel and older gas engines, including turbo charger applications). I has a very good synthetic base and lots of good additives. Not the lowest price oil on the list, but a good price at Walmart.

Kendall 5-40 Euro. (formulated for diesel and older gas engines, including turbo charger applications). I don't know much about this oil, but I'm sure it's good, if you can find it. It's not sold in my local area.

Union76 5-40 (not sure about it's formulation) I don't know much about this oil, but I'm sure it's good, if you can find it. It's not sold in my local area.
Note: Philips 66 owns Kendall, Union 76, and Valvoline. Those oils have a lot in common (probably same or similar base oil, possibly same or similar additives).
All the above oils are more than good enough for a Jeep 4L or stroker. Some of the oils above are expensive and some are affordable. Best prices I've seen on 5-40 synthetic are Shell and Chevron followed by Mobil One. Some Walmarts and most auto stores carry those, often at very good prices for what they are. I'm in Pacific Northwest in a small town. In larger towns, or other parts of the country, other 5-40 choices may be common.

I think any brand of 5-40 is good stuff, except for Castrol, Royal Purple, and Havoline. I'll explain why below.

Years ago I read a Consumer Reports independent lab tests comparison of motor oils and Castrol, Royal Purple, and Havoline flunked the tests. The best scores (years ago) were from Penzoil, Shell, and Kendall tied for best, followed closely by Mobil One, Valvoline. Chevron, and Union 76 tied for 2nd place. I don't recall for sure, but I think Lucas oil was included in those Consumer Reports tests.

If you Google engine oil related engine failures in older and newer models of muscle cars, you'll find a lot of threads complaining about Castrol, Royal Purple, or Havoline caused engine failures. Those threads back-up what Consumer Reports tests learned (some years ago).

I'm not aware of any independent tests of Amsoil, except one extended mileage test done by a man on his car. He posted about it at some forum (forgot which). He sent oil samples to a lab for evaluation. Mobil One was better than Amsoil in his tests because with extended use Amsoil got to thick (poor cold start protection).

===

Use a top quality oil filter, such as Baldwin B2 filter. The B2 is a highend filter for a normal price, and it's twice as long so it holds an extra 1/2 quart of oil. It also filters slightly finer particles than a typical filter. So it filters more and being larger it lasts longer.

I read an independent lab test, as well as the specs, and watched online videos where guys disassembled Baldwin and Wix oil filters. I've also personally physically compared them. Baldwin are better than Wix in a few ways, and Baldwin cost the same as Wix. Both cost less than Napa Gold.

Note: Napa Gold filters are made by Wix and are therefore are an overpriced Wix filter, IMO.

Last edited by Charley3; 02-26-2017 at 08:56 PM.