Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable track bar question

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Adjustable track bar question

Hello, I bought a 96 XJ a few weeks back and noticed a lot wrong with it after creating an account here. Things I have done so far are new rear axle seals and bearings on both sides, NP242 hack 'n tap, Spicer pt# 211229X, and front drive shaft mod. The list of needed improvements goes on. I noticed that the previous owner was in love with welding and welded the track bar bracket in a "lowering" position with a 1in. piece of square tubing in between the factory bracket and frame. They kept the factory track bar and with 6.5 inches of lift the front axle is off center by 2.5 inches. I bought the kit from Rough Country 1042. I wanted some good advice before I go hacking away on some welds with a grinder. I have no access to a lift and there is no way I could drop the suspension. Can all of this be done with the XJ on level ground? And to add I have no stock hardware so I made a run to the hardware store and bought some grade 8 galvanized. Is there anything to look for with this kit in the future? I haven't even had it off-road yet. thanks!
Old 08-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 I6

I replaced mine without lifting it and everything went just fine. Just watch out for the trac bar you bought. I got the same one and the ball joint end on the frame went out in less that a year with minimal "offroad" use. I ended up buying a more expensive one that is still in the mail.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:20 AM

The track bar I bought has a bushing and a sleeve on both ends with a new bracket to convert it to that mounting style. Is that the one you have? I will go ahead and try it today or tomorrow. I think I have a level spot to park it.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Did they call it a double shear trac-bar? If so then that isn't the one I bought. I just got the factory style that was adjustable. The double shear style is the kind I just got. But anyways yeah as long as you have a level spot to park it you should be good to go. You want the bar adjusted to where the jeep is going to sit on the ground anyways so as long as you have room to take the ok bracket out you should be good to go.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

With that kind of lift you need a better track bar a higher quality on and an Adj. Dbl. Shear one. Those kind of jobs scare me and I'm an old man for reasons like you post, accidents waiting to happen.

BTW avoid RC lift items buy quality and buy only once!
Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 PM

I dont like RC either but this will get me by till winter for a couple wheeling trips. I got the welded track bar mount almost completely off with a cut-off wheel and saws-all. I will replace it all anyways this winter because I dont like the lift they chose and all of the bushings are cracked but it goes down the road fine for now. for the time being its staying on the cheap to keep the wife happy. do you have a part # for a good one for future reference?
Old 08-04-2015, 09:05 PM
Seasoned Member

I don't have a part number but this is the one I bought. https://www.kevinsoffroad.com/cart/h...wobble-p-1017/ I got the special bushings and larger hardware with it so it ended up around $440 and change. It is American made though! Pricey but I did layaway on it to help so I didn't have to drop that cash all at once. I've heard Iron rock offroad makes a pretty good one. Pretty beefy too.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10215.html
Old 08-05-2015, 05:57 PM

Cool, thanks, I bookmarked both of those. In the meantime today I was able to get the rest of the first half of the "dropped" factory bracket off. Bought a new saw to complete the job. They also stripped the bolt on the axle side so I'll be cutting the factory track bar up too. hopefully tomorrow I can get this done and then off to the brakes for a complete rebuild...YAY!!!
Old 08-08-2015, 11:27 AM

Finished the install yesterday. It took a long time to knock down the welds the previous owners put down before I could install the Rough Country mount. I was able to center the axle easily with this RC track bar while it was on the XJ. And after the new brakes I took it for a test drive and noticed a lot of changes. Before I had a bit of a wobble around 45mph. but I just thought it was the tires (33x12.50 15 pro comp xterrain). There was also a steering pop that I thought was a ball joint. Before when braking I had to struggle to keep it straight. The steering was lagging quite badly too. This track bar seemed to correct all of those issues. I don't know how long it will last but it should get me through. I may finally take it to Haspen Acres tomorrow here in Indiana to see what my XJ can do.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

glad you got it ready in time for your trip. Make sure track bar bolt on frame side is tightened down hard.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:55 PM
Seasoned Member

I had all the same issues you had with my rc bar too. Hopefully when I get my new one it'll correct that stuff. Glad it fixed it for ya!
Old 08-09-2015, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by VTJeep
glad you got it ready in time for your trip. Make sure track bar bolt on frame side is tightened down hard.

Recheck and tighten this after a few outings along with any other new items added, they will tend to loosen.

Good Luck!
Old 08-30-2015, 08:34 AM

The Rough Country track bar and mount are holding up great so far. No strange vibes or rattling to report. We are about to take her out again now. I hope it all works out.