Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Modified Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 10-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #1

View mitchrugrash's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default Add-a-Leaf?

I'm thinking of getting a 3" lift add-a-leaf because I'm on a budget, but What are your options on this technique?

My rear leafs are saggy as many stock xjs, will add-a-leaf fix this? Also I've heard it is a rougher ride.

Basically I want to do this lift right the first time and if I have to spend a bit extra to get a quality setup, I would prefer that.

Thanks
mitchrugrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
CF Veteran

View Donnie_K's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to Donnie_K Send a message via MSN to Donnie_K Send a message via Yahoo to Donnie_K

this has been covered on this forum a LOT. adding 1 good leaf to a pack of bad leaves leaves with a bunch of bad leaves and 1 good leaf.
4.0 with 99 intake, apn header, 703 injectors, thunderbolt high flow cat, flowmaster delta flow 40, Comp cams extreme 4x4 cam.
Kumho Road Venture M/T KL71's 31x10.50x15 on crager soft 8's 15 x 8 with 4" of backspacing.
ChryCo 8.25/Dana 30 stock 3.07 gears (pending 4.56's on 35's)
http://www.darksidereptiles.com
Donnie_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #3

Cherokee

I will take a look, thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
Registered Users

View The Blacksmith's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to The Blacksmith

waste of time.

add a leaf would be doing it wrong, so in the intrest of doing it right, get full packs. A cheap fix to the sag while you save for full packs would be an extended shackle.
The Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #5

View brookhart63's Photo Album My Photos
99 Cherokee

I ran AAL for awhile and have had 0 problems. The guys that are in the offroad clubs around here run them fine. Im sure they will work fine for you. Full packs are 100% the better option though. Try a bastard pack (a whole bunch of AAL's). Full packs= easy and right. AAL=cheap and easy.

Do you even wheel?
brookhart63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
CF Veteran

1997 Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to Donnie_K Send a message via MSN to Donnie_K Send a message via Yahoo to Donnie_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookhart63 View Post
I ran AAL for awhile and have had 0 problems. The guys that are in the offroad clubs around here run them fine. Im sure they will work fine for you. Full packs are 100% the better option though. Try a bastard pack (a whole bunch of AAL's). Full packs= easy and right. AAL=cheap and easy.
nobody said they caused problems... they just don't fix the problems that are already there. Adding a leaf to a brand new leaf pack is still all brand new leafs. Adding a new leaf to a worn or sagging leaf pack is still a bunch of bad leaves and one good one. Not sufficient.
4.0 with 99 intake, apn header, 703 injectors, thunderbolt high flow cat, flowmaster delta flow 40, Comp cams extreme 4x4 cam.
Kumho Road Venture M/T KL71's 31x10.50x15 on crager soft 8's 15 x 8 with 4" of backspacing.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:31 PM   #7

99 Cherokee

My packs blew and the AAL helped.....But..... now i have full packs because i saved my money

Do you even wheel?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #8
::CF Moderator::

View Gee oh Dee's Photo Album My Photos
1987 Cherokee

If your leafs are already sagging then get a full pack.

You may get lift out of the HD leafs and the $35 shakles that you can get at a parts store.

"Build" thread:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pro...herokee-58248/

"...To ride a motorcycle well is like making the choice to live in this world and the next simultaneously; It is to carelessly play with hell's devils and God's angels together because anything less would be, to the moto-enthusiast, to do nothing at all..."
Gee oh Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #9

Cherokee

Thank you for your responses. What is a lift kit with a good bang for your buck with full leafs? I saw zone offers one, any others worth mentioning? Will stock gears and my current brake lines be alright (auto tranny)? and do I need a steering stabilizer or is a t case drop sufficient?

thanks much
Old 10-24-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
CF Veteran

View 93gc40's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookhart63 View Post
Full packs are 100% the better option though. Try a bastard pack (a whole bunch of AAL's). Full packs= easy and right. AAL=cheap and easy.
Agree.... Except, Bastard pack is a good cheap option, not just "a bunch of AALs". In some ways they are better than brand new Lift springs. You get a lift you can adjust from about 1" to 4", since you are using used springs, they are already broken in. Unless you got them from a substantially lighter donor, they will not sag, they already did that. OK all springs sag.. But it's a pretty good chance the donor springs will come from something heavier than an XJ.

The JunkYard, Walmart for Jeeps.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
CF Veteran

1997 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchrugrash View Post
Thank you for your responses. What is a lift kit with a good bang for your buck with full leafs? I saw zone offers one, any others worth mentioning? Will stock gears and my current brake lines be alright (auto tranny)? and do I need a steering stabilizer or is a t case drop sufficient?

thanks much
steering stabilizer has nothing to do with the lift, or a transfer case drop, did you mean sye? lol. You don't need an sye or transfer case drop at 3". longer lines would be good. Stock gears will be fine, and a steering stabilizer is only there for added comfort, if all your steering components are good, you don't even need to have one on the vehicle.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #12
Seasoned Member

View White Elephant's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee

if you're on a budget and really want the lift AAL will work fine

I'm on AAL while saving money for a full pack and haven't had any problems. my stock leaf pack was in good shape tho
White Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #13
CF Veteran

View OOdynamite's Photo Album My Photos
2001 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchrugrash View Post

thanks much
I'm very happy with my 4.5 inch zone kit. I have the AAL, but that's cuz my leafs were replaced with brand new stock ones in febuary. If yours are sagging now, go full packs

Build Thread:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pro...ng-i-go-94369/
OOdynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:25 PM   #14

View LeRoy90laredo's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee

i just picked up a RE 3.5 for around 600 with full packs, with out shocks though. might be something in your budget, might not, im just throwing ideas out there for ya. also ran 2in shackles for over a year on saggy leaves till exhausting them.

btw 2" kit from Fatbobsgarage.com is around 80. its an inch less than you put out there but its cheap, you can use current shocks and everything else.
might be good for the time being till more money is saved up.
once again, just ideas to put out there.

Last edited by LeRoy90laredo; 10-24-2011 at 09:27 PM.
LeRoy90laredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #15

99 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gc40 View Post
Agree.... Except, Bastard pack is a good cheap option, not just "a bunch of AALs". In some ways they are better than brand new Lift springs. You get a lift you can adjust from about 1" to 4", since you are using used springs, they are already broken in. Unless you got them from a substantially lighter donor, they will not sag, they already did that. OK all springs sag.. But it's a pretty good chance the donor springs will come from something heavier than an XJ.
An AAL is just a stiffer leaf that you add into a pack. A bastard pack is several stiffer leafs with more arch.
Bastard pack=AAL, IMO

Do you even wheel?
Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 PM

submit to reddit