Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add-a-Leaf?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Add-a-Leaf?

I'm thinking of getting a 3" lift add-a-leaf because I'm on a budget, but What are your options on this technique?

My rear leafs are saggy as many stock xjs, will add-a-leaf fix this? Also I've heard it is a rougher ride.

Basically I want to do this lift right the first time and if I have to spend a bit extra to get a quality setup, I would prefer that.

Thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

this has been covered on this forum a LOT. adding 1 good leaf to a pack of bad leaves leaves with a bunch of bad leaves and 1 good leaf.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 AM

I will take a look, thanks
Old 10-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0ho

waste of time.

add a leaf would be doing it wrong, so in the intrest of doing it right, get full packs. A cheap fix to the sag while you save for full packs would be an extended shackle.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99
Engine: 4 ohh

I ran AAL for awhile and have had 0 problems. The guys that are in the offroad clubs around here run them fine. Im sure they will work fine for you. Full packs are 100% the better option though. Try a bastard pack (a whole bunch of AAL's). Full packs= easy and right. AAL=cheap and easy.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:29 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

Originally Posted by brookhart63
I ran AAL for awhile and have had 0 problems. The guys that are in the offroad clubs around here run them fine. Im sure they will work fine for you. Full packs are 100% the better option though. Try a bastard pack (a whole bunch of AAL's). Full packs= easy and right. AAL=cheap and easy.
nobody said they caused problems... they just don't fix the problems that are already there. Adding a leaf to a brand new leaf pack is still all brand new leafs. Adding a new leaf to a worn or sagging leaf pack is still a bunch of bad leaves and one good one. Not sufficient.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:31 PM

My packs blew and the AAL helped.....But..... now i have full packs because i saved my money
Old 10-24-2011, 01:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

If your leafs are already sagging then get a full pack.

You may get lift out of the HD leafs and the $35 shakles that you can get at a parts store.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:31 PM

Thank you for your responses. What is a lift kit with a good bang for your buck with full leafs? I saw zone offers one, any others worth mentioning? Will stock gears and my current brake lines be alright (auto tranny)? and do I need a steering stabilizer or is a t case drop sufficient?

thanks much
Old 10-24-2011, 06:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by brookhart63
Full packs are 100% the better option though. Try a bastard pack (a whole bunch of AAL's). Full packs= easy and right. AAL=cheap and easy.
Agree.... Except, Bastard pack is a good cheap option, not just "a bunch of AALs". In some ways they are better than brand new Lift springs. You get a lift you can adjust from about 1" to 4", since you are using used springs, they are already broken in. Unless you got them from a substantially lighter donor, they will not sag, they already did that. OK all springs sag.. But it's a pretty good chance the donor springs will come from something heavier than an XJ.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mitchrugrash
Thank you for your responses. What is a lift kit with a good bang for your buck with full leafs? I saw zone offers one, any others worth mentioning? Will stock gears and my current brake lines be alright (auto tranny)? and do I need a steering stabilizer or is a t case drop sufficient?

thanks much
steering stabilizer has nothing to do with the lift, or a transfer case drop, did you mean sye? lol. You don't need an sye or transfer case drop at 3". longer lines would be good. Stock gears will be fine, and a steering stabilizer is only there for added comfort, if all your steering components are good, you don't even need to have one on the vehicle.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

if you're on a budget and really want the lift AAL will work fine

I'm on AAL while saving money for a full pack and haven't had any problems. my stock leaf pack was in good shape tho
Old 10-24-2011, 09:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by mitchrugrash

thanks much
I'm very happy with my 4.5 inch zone kit. I have the AAL, but that's cuz my leafs were replaced with brand new stock ones in febuary. If yours are sagging now, go full packs
Old 10-24-2011, 09:25 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: l6 242

i just picked up a RE 3.5 for around 600 with full packs, with out shocks though. might be something in your budget, might not, im just throwing ideas out there for ya. also ran 2in shackles for over a year on saggy leaves till exhausting them.

btw 2" kit from Fatbobsgarage.com is around 80. its an inch less than you put out there but its cheap, you can use current shocks and everything else.
might be good for the time being till more money is saved up.
once again, just ideas to put out there.

Last edited by LeRoy90laredo; 10-24-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 93gc40
Agree.... Except, Bastard pack is a good cheap option, not just "a bunch of AALs". In some ways they are better than brand new Lift springs. You get a lift you can adjust from about 1" to 4", since you are using used springs, they are already broken in. Unless you got them from a substantially lighter donor, they will not sag, they already did that. OK all springs sag.. But it's a pretty good chance the donor springs will come from something heavier than an XJ.
An AAL is just a stiffer leaf that you add into a pack. A bastard pack is several stiffer leafs with more arch.
Bastard pack=AAL, IMO

Quick Reply: Add-a-Leaf?