Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 jeep cherokee sport 6 inch lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 jeep cherokee sport 6 inch lift questions

alright so I have a my xj right now on a 3 inch lift it has 3 inch coil spacers in the front, a block and ad leaf in the rear I'm pretty sure, I have a parts jeep that has 3 inch coils and drop shackles and I was wondering if i could take the lift from the parts jeep and put it in my jeep. is there any sort of extra modifications I'd need to do??
Old 02-24-2017, 11:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

This question belongs in this section:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/al...go-here-10579/

But to answer your question. If it's another xj with the parts then everything should fit fine. Read through the posts on that link and it should answer any question you can think of involving lifts and tires. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Old 02-25-2017, 05:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would lose the spacers the block and the add a leaf.And past 3 inches you start to need stuff like a sye at 4.5 to 5 inches and longer brake lines and upgrade the steering linkage.Take a look at https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/nk...-chart-211878/
Old 02-25-2017, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Wyatt Hallameyer
alright so I have a my xj right now on a 3 inch lift it has 3 inch coil spacers in the front, a block and ad leaf in the rear I'm pretty sure, I have a parts jeep that has 3 inch coils and drop shackles and I was wondering if i could take the lift from the parts jeep and put it in my jeep. is there any sort of extra modifications I'd need to do??
3 inch coil spacers you say? Blocks AND add a leaf as well? That whole setup is garbage man I'm sorry hahah. To lift 6 inches you need to do it right, and what you plan on doing isn't even close to right. And yes there are other things you need. Adjustable track bar, new control arms, longer sway bar links, sye, etc

edit: as soon as I hit submit, I realized how highb you wanted to lift. You need a long arm kit for 6 inch lift.

Last edited by Martlor13; 02-25-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Martlor13
3 inch coil spacers you say? Blocks AND add a leaf as well? That whole setup is garbage man I'm sorry hahah. To lift 6 inches you need to do it right, and what you plan on doing isn't even close to right. And yes there are other things you need. Adjustable track bar, new control arms, longer sway bar links, sye, etc

edit: as soon as I hit submit, I realized how highb you wanted to lift. You need a long arm kit for 6 inch lift.
That is incorrect! You do not NEED long arms for a 6 in lift!!!! Although yes a long arm kit is the best method it is not required. Long arms have absolutely nothing to do with lift height. Also there is nothing wrong with add a leafs. I have ran add a leafs on 2 xjs with plenty of flex and zero issues.

Now to the op, what were you planning on doing with this parts jeep. I thought you meant you wanted to ditch the 3" spacers and blocks for your coils and leaves which would be great. But if you wanna stack lift parts to make a 6in then no I wouldn't recommend it unless you are building a street queen. Also if your trying to make a 6in then there are other modifications you will need to do.

Last edited by StuckBuck; 02-25-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by StuckBuck
That is incorrect! You do not NEED long arms for a 6 in lift!!!! Although yes a long arm kit is the best method it is not required. Long arms have absolutely nothing to do with lift height. Also there is nothing wrong with add a leafs. I have ran add a leafs on 2 xjs with plenty of flex and zero issues.
Lol you think it's about flex?? Aal are hot garbage man plain and simple. And yeah long Arms aren't required but they should be If you want to have a proper setup and ride smooth.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Lol you think it's about flex?? Aal are hot garbage man plain and simple. And yeah long Arms aren't required but they should be If you want to have a proper setup and ride smooth.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Exclamation

I'm not disagreeing with you! Obviously long arms and full leaf packs are going to perform better than short arms and add a leafs but not everybody has the money to run the best of the best. And if I was him and had an xj with coil spacers in the front and blocks in the rear, I would much rather run the 3in lift coils and add a leafs that were in my parts jeep. He wasn't asking what lift he should run he was simply asking if the parts on his parts jeep would fit his xj. And if he's saying he wants to stack parts to make a 6in lift then I say no he shouldn't.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:06 AM
CF Veteran

I'm not disagreeing with you! Obviously long arms and full leaf packs are going to perform better than short arms and add a leafs but not everybody has the money to run the best of the best. And if I was him and had an xj with coil spacers in the front and blocks in the rear, I would much rather run the 3in lift coils and add a leafs that were in my parts jeep. He wasn't asking what lift he should run he was simply asking if the parts on his parts jeep would fit his xj. And if he's saying he wants to stack parts to make a 6in lift then I say no he shouldn't.
If you don't have the money to do a lift the right way or at least somewhat close, you have no business lifting at all. Like whoever put on those 3 inch spacers, blocks AND aal. Save save save and do yourself a favor of doing it proper. But the op hasn't responded so I don't think we're getting updates haha
Old 02-26-2017, 01:12 AM
Seasoned Member

If you don't have the money to do a lift the right way or at least somewhat close, you have no business lifting at all. Like whoever put on those 3 inch spacers, blocks AND aal. Save save save and do yourself a favor of doing it proper. But the op hasn't responded so I don't think we're getting updates haha

Sure you do. I had plenty of wheeling fun on an AAL setup. Had I lifted those jeeps myself then I wouldn't have done it that way but they worked fine for moderate wheeling. And I agree, if your building your jeep with wheeling in mind then ya save until you can afford a long arm kit and do it right. But I'd say half the population of xj owners aren't like us and only use their jeeps for camping on 4th of July weekend lol. In that case all their looking for is a little more ground clearance and the ability to clear some 31 at's or something and AAL's work just fine for that. In this case the op has the AAL's already and is currently running blocks, I'd say AAl's are gunna perform way better than blocks. And I think your right, an update from the op isnt looking so promising lol

Last edited by StuckBuck; 02-26-2017 at 01:15 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by Wyatt Hallameyer
You can't really do that.
I hope you've referenced the lift chart by now ro see required parts for 6" lift.

You can however upgrade your 3" setup.
Get rid of the lift blocks asap, use the shackles instead of blocks.
3" lift coils usually support the vehicle alot better so I'd use the full coils vs the spacer upfront.

Without knowing what else one has vs the other, or what the use of this xj is, can't suggest anything else.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:08 PM
Seasoned Member

^^^Exactly correct