Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Modified Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Newbie
 
XJ_Silver_1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Conklin, MI
Posts: 11

View XJ_Silver_1988's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee
Default 97+ Aftermarket Steering wheel

I have a 98 XJ with no cruise control and its a wheeling rig so i dont want the airbag. What are my options for installing a Grant or similiar steering wheel.
XJ_Silver_1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
CF Veteran
 
OttawaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa, on
Posts: 1,158

View OttawaXJ's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to OttawaXJ Send a message via Skype™ to OttawaXJ
Default

Theres kits on Jegs, Summit and others.

My buddy had an adapter machined out of aluminum. Cost him like 150$ for the adapter but hes a ricer at heart so that ridiculous amount made sense to him. lol
__________________
94 XJ 31" Duratrac, stock -- SOLD
89 YJ 33" Truxus, SOA, custom bumpers, roll cage, and a boat load of rust -- SOLD
98 XJ 31" BFG KM2's, custom front bumper, otherwise stock -- SOLD
91 YJ Frame off rebuild, stock -- SOLD
OttawaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
Newbie
 
XJ_Silver_1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Conklin, MI
Posts: 11

View XJ_Silver_1988's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaXJ View Post
Theres kits on Jegs, Summit and others.

My buddy had an adapter machined out of aluminum. Cost him like 150$ for the adapter but hes a ricer at heart so that ridiculous amount made sense to him. lol
no kits for the 97-01s
XJ_Silver_1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
FordFoxGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Springfield, Ohio
Posts: 37

View FordFoxGT's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to FordFoxGT Send a message via Yahoo to FordFoxGT
Default

What about swapping in an older column with a 3 spoke wheel? Probably get one at a JY or pull a part a lot cheaper than you can get a kit and new wheel.
__________________
Smitty
``_======o000o
//___|l___, \\____\\,_____
l_/-\_|l__l|__/-\_[]llll[]
_( o ))-o- ))__ ( o ))---o- ))
FordFoxGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: mass
Posts: 78

View TJkiller98's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee
Default

I put a grant wheel on my 98 useing the universal install kit from autozone. At first the back ring rubbed on the column making turning rather difficult. I ignored it and it eventually wore a grove in the column and no longer rubs. If you do go this route a couple of washers should fix the clearance issue. And your airbag light will be on but if its a trail rig that shouldn't matter to much.
TJkiller98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #6
Newbie
 
XJ_Silver_1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Conklin, MI
Posts: 11

View XJ_Silver_1988's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFoxGT View Post
What about swapping in an older column with a 3 spoke wheel? Probably get one at a JY or pull a part a lot cheaper than you can get a kit and new wheel.
the columns are completely different in many ways from 96-97
XJ_Silver_1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Newbie
 
XJ_Silver_1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Conklin, MI
Posts: 11

View XJ_Silver_1988's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJkiller98 View Post
I put a grant wheel on my 98 useing the universal install kit from autozone. At first the back ring rubbed on the column making turning rather difficult. I ignored it and it eventually wore a grove in the column and no longer rubs. If you do go this route a couple of washers should fix the clearance issue. And your airbag light will be on but if its a trail rig that shouldn't matter to much.
perfect that exactly what i wanted to hear ill go that route. ill just pull the airbag light bulb out.
XJ_Silver_1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:16 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
shade_tree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 44

View shade_tree's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default

Just lookin thru some post and came across this one... I just put a grant wheel in my 96 xj. Grant part number# 3162 fits the splines perfectly and the kit comes with a role pin to put in the back of the adapter to cancel the signals when you turn. Its a chevy part but it works w/o rubbing anything.
shade_tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:03 AM   #9
CF Veteran
 
mrfajita's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 3,337

View mrfajita's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee
Default

Sorry to thread-jack, but can one of the old style 3 spoke XJ steering wheels install to a 96 with the airbag steering wheel without excessive modification? The airbag worries me every time I hit a tree off road and I hate how the airbag wheel looks.
__________________
1996 XJ, 4.0, 703 injectors, 99 Intake, homebrew cowl snorkel, AW4, NP231, Welded 8.25, 33x12.50x15 Interco SSR, ~2.5" bastard lift, Bilstein 5100s, FST crossover steering and track bar, CB, Durango steering gearbox, homebrew onboard air, Truck-Lite LEDs
1996 Mazda MX-5
RIP Brian (96_XJ) Perrine
My slow build thread
Quote:
I had to go buy a lift and a 20 ton shop press the last time I replaced my wiper blades. Those things were a *****!
mrfajita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:10 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
shade_tree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 44

View shade_tree's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default

They changed the shaft somewhere between 94-96 but I don't wanna say for sure because I'm not completely for sure. But I do know the ones with airbags are bigger to handle the airbag detonation. That adapter I mentioned earlier fits the early air bag models. What I did to figure out if it worked was.
I used a puller to get the wheel off and took off the slip ring (bye bye cruise control- horn). And I know someone will frown at this but I pushed the wheel back on just to where it stopped so I didn't need a puller to take it off again. And replaced the locknut, making sure not to press the wheel back on.
Then I drove to oriellys and the guys let me try an adapter and it fit.
I'll try postin a pic. This oughta be good lol
Attached Thumbnails
97+ Aftermarket Steering wheel-forumrunner_20110726_010935.jpg  
shade_tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:57 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver wa
Posts: 50

View PNW CHEROKEE's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shade_tree View Post
They changed the shaft somewhere between 94-96 but I don't wanna say for sure because I'm not completely for sure. But I do know the ones with airbags are bigger to handle the airbag detonation. That adapter I mentioned earlier fits the early air bag models. What I did to figure out if it worked was.
I used a puller to get the wheel off and took off the slip ring (bye bye cruise control- horn). And I know someone will frown at this but I pushed the wheel back on just to where it stopped so I didn't need a puller to take it off again. And replaced the locknut, making sure not to press the wheel back on.
Then I drove to oriellys and the guys let me try an adapter and it fit.
I'll try postin a pic. This oughta be good lol
this is a hand cuff sterring wheel
PNW CHEROKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 AM   #12
CF Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Flint/Asheville
Posts: 2,501

View TheJerm's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Cherokee
Default

Wow that is a tiny steering wheel. I just bought a kit off of summit for my 95. Idk for 100% but if its the same spline on the 95 to 98, but if there are...
TheJerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:11 AM
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to put an Aftermarket Steering wheel in a post 96 xj ddt713 OEM Cherokee Tech 6 09-12-2012 09:01 PM
Aftermarket Steering Wheel purpleme2 OEM Cherokee Tech 9 08-23-2012 05:57 PM
Aftermarket Steering wheel 2000NCXJ OEM Cherokee Tech 0 12-29-2010 09:14 AM
Steering wheel looseness in a 98 xj, adjust steering box? PUNISHER VETTE OEM Cherokee Tech 10 10-15-2009 11:52 AM
Steering wheel mattjeep OEM Cherokee Tech 0 07-21-2009 02:22 AM

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > Modified Cherokee Tech



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 PM.


This site is in no way affiliated with Jeep or Chrysler.

Emails Backup