Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.0 Myth Busting

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 4.0 Myth Busting

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...67087#cxrecs_s

Pretty cool article with ACTUAL testing results. Honestly, my main reason for posting this is so all you guys that are switching your intake manifolds out for the 99+ manifolds will see how stupid it is. Enjoy
Old 10-22-2014, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

yup. I keep that link in my signature. not sure if anyone reads it
Old 10-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

Kinda wish the 784/703 injector thing was on there. I just did 784's and haven't noticed a single difference
Old 10-22-2014, 01:46 PM

Year: 1994

great read, thanks
Old 10-22-2014, 02:06 PM

Engine: l6

Originally Posted by BNJeepsta

Pretty cool article with ACTUAL testing results. Honestly, my main reason for posting this is so all you guys that are switching your intake manifolds out for the 99+ manifolds will see how stupid it is. Enjoy
Cool. I had some guy turn down the purchase of the old style intake man, because it wasn't the horseshoe. Still have it too. Collecting awesomeness..
Old 10-22-2014, 02:06 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 2000chersport
Kinda wish the 784/703 injector thing was on there. I just did 784's and haven't noticed a single difference
If you already had good, stock injectors, you won't really notice a difference. Injectors make very little difference to stock gasoline engines. Diesels on the other hand, are a totally different story. You have to look at it this way, the computer, only calls for the amount of fuel it needs so unless you up the required amount of fuel needed, the stock injectors are perfect. The different nozzle/spray pattern MIGHT help burn fuel better but, the difference will be marginal at best. If the neon injectors were really that good, mopar would have used them in the first place
Old 10-22-2014, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Atmos
yup. I keep that link in my signature. not sure if anyone reads it
I only use the app so I can't see your Sig but, I think everyone who owns a 4.0 equipped vehicle should give it a read.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by JamDeeper

Cool. I had some guy turn down the purchase of the old style intake man, because it wasn't the horseshoe. Still have it too. Collecting awesomeness..
Perhaps you should have showed him this article
Old 10-22-2014, 02:19 PM

Engine: l6

Perhaps you should have showed him this article
I wish I'd had it!!
Old 10-22-2014, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

yeah the 99 intake was interesting, was wondering though if once a stroker and cam was done if the old style gets restrictive , then what kinda gains can be made with the 99 up
Old 10-22-2014, 04:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mentalbreakdown00
yeah the 99 intake was interesting, was wondering though if once a stroker and cam was done if the old style gets restrictive , then what kinda gains can be made with the 99 up
You definitely would see gains with a cam and some head work but, I'm not sure how much. I think the 99+ intake would really help with forced induction
Old 10-22-2014, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

actually forced induction cares less about some smaller restrictions, the reason being an N/A motor is relying on air pressure 14.7 psi at sea level to force itself into the engine on the intake stroke. When you have boost though, lets say 10 lbs+ atmospheric= 24.7 lbs pushing air into the cylinder. Now im not saying getting rid of those restrictions wont help, i'm saying it doesnt matter as much as an N/A motor... When my engine goes south (hopefully no time soon since I just got it going again after 2 years downtime) I will do a 4.2 and cam and propane all at once with an HEI distributor, and will probably go for the intake then
Old 10-22-2014, 05:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mentalbreakdown00
actually forced induction cares less about some smaller restrictions, the reason being an N/A motor is relying on air pressure 14.7 psi at sea level to force itself into the engine on the intake stroke. When you have boost though, lets say 10 lbs+ atmospheric= 24.7 lbs pushing air into the cylinder. Now im not saying getting rid of those restrictions wont help, i'm saying it doesnt matter as much as an N/A motor... When my engine goes south (hopefully no time soon since I just got it going again after 2 years downtime) I will do a 4.2 and cam and propane all at once with an HEI distributor, and will probably go for the intake then
I guess I should have been more specific. I was trying to say the gains would probably be more noticeable with forced induction vs. N/A. Definitely sound logic on your end though. Why the propane? Not putting it down, just curious
Old 10-22-2014, 06:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

LOL. I laugh everytime I see this "magazine" article posted. So a couple of dudes in a garage somewhere put ONE intake on ONE XJ and it didn't work out like people say and thus they claim they scientifically "busted" the intake manifold "myth". To be scientifically valid this "ACTUAL testing" should have included many vehicles and been performed on a variety of test equipment. If they had ANY pre-test opinion on the validity of the intake manifold swap their entire process and results can not be taken at face value as even trust worthy. But man those are some smart fellas. They know more than the automotive engineers at Daimler who redesigned the intake manifold to restore power lost over the years due to modern emissions additions and the engineers at Edelbrok who use the same techiques and testing to design higher flowing intakes to increase power for race cars. Shame they are wasting their vast knowledge working at some webazine when the entire world wide automotive industry has it's head in the sand and doesn't know what it's doing.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0 I6

I like how they were saying a 91-95 was faster than later models. I'd like to see them try my mostly stock 2000.

Quick Reply: 4.0 Myth Busting