Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3" RC kit added and 1.75 coil spacers on top ok??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0
Default 3" RC kit added and 1.75 coil spacers on top ok??

hey guys I just put on the 3 inch lift kit and went with mud claws 265/75/16 equivalent to 31's they rub against my fenders and it looks off definitely need that extra 1 inch and a half so I ordered the rest of the 4.5 inch kit when I called rough country they told be instead of reordering the 4.5 inch coil springs and sending them the 3 inch back to just add the 1.75 spacers to the springs I already have, now on the spacers area day star says do not put these on lifted spring, so is it safe?, good idea? or i can still send the 3 in coil springs I installed back

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2016, 10:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993

I'd say go with the spacers unless you can get full Coils for no extra cost, a lot of people run lift coils with spacers and have no issues. Also your almost certainly going to need a t case drop or sye at that height if you don't already have one, just something to look out for
Old 02-07-2016, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by David Pinkhasov
hey guys I just put on the 3 inch lift kit and went with mud claws 265/75/16 equivalent to 31's they rub against my fenders and it looks off definitely need that extra 1 inch and a half so I ordered the rest of the 4.5 inch kit when I called rough country they told be instead of reordering the 4.5 inch coil springs and sending them the 3 inch back to just add the 1.75 spacers to the springs I already have, now on the spacers area day star says do not put these on lifted spring, so is it safe?, good idea? or i can still send the 3 in coil springs I installed back any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Your probably gonna have to get larger shocks as well. Hopefully your track bar and control arms are adjustable cause those will have to be extended as well. Same with the sway bars.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just remember at 4.5 inch lift you need a sye and some other things.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:03 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I have the same 3inch RC lift and have been running 1 inch spacers on it for over a year. No SYE and no vibes. No need for longer shocks. I did install a track bar relocation bracket to compensate for the track bar ($20). Only down side to the TB bracket is if the TB bolt comes loose, which it tends to do, the bolt will begin to wallow out the hole making it an oval becoming a larger problem. Easily fixed by just making sure the bolt stays torqued down.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by 93XJeeper
Your probably gonna have to get larger shocks as well. Hopefully your track bar and control arms are adjustable cause those will have to be extended as well. Same with the sway bars.

All are needed and at 4 1/2" the Sway Bar disconnects need to be longer.

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Just remember at 4.5 inch lift you need a sye and some other things.

I Have a Rustys 3" lift and run 1 ACOS Adj. spacers on the coils and 1 1/2" boomerang shackles in the rear for a total of 4 1/2" of lift. Several other things are required to do this new shocks, brake lines, an SYE and remove the TC drop kit for the 3" lift, new driveshaft, Dbl. Shear Track Bar and the list goes on.

There are several places here if you search showing required parts for all lift sizes.

Originally Posted by Hopkins
I have the same 3inch RC lift and have been running 1 inch spacers on it for over a year. No SYE and no vibes. No need for longer shocks. I did install a track bar relocation bracket to compensate for the track bar ($20). Only down side to the TB bracket is if the TB bolt comes loose, which it tends to do, the bolt will begin to wallow out the hole making it an oval becoming a larger problem. Easily fixed by just making sure the bolt stays torqued down.

Don't do this.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:07 PM

beginner on this I have a 1996 jeep Laredo I put a 3 inch lift on it with spacers I want to take them out and run coil springs I was told I can take from a ford f150 truck and put them on the front and take my front and put them on the back is this true and if so what year ford do I get them from and the control arms how do I know what size I need thank you for any help
Old 02-08-2016, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 226 Likes on 176 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

You're going to be in over your head if you just throw the spacers in there. There's no need for 4.5" of lift for 31s. What you should be doing is extending your bump stops or trim the fenders a bit so they don't rub.

Is this a woods rig or does it see pavement frequently?
Old 02-08-2016, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hey guys I just put on the 3 inch lift kit and went with mud claws 265/75/16 equivalent to 31's they rub against my fenders and it looks off definitely need that extra 1 inch and a half so I ordered the rest of the 4.5 inch kit when I called rough country they told be instead of reordering the 4.5 inch coil springs and sending them the 3 inch back to just add the 1.75 spacers to the springs I already have, now on the spacers area day star says do not put these on lifted spring, so is it safe?, good idea? or i can still send the 3 in coil springs I installed back any help would be appreciated. Thanks
I have a 3.5 in rc lift. My jeep has a v8 so it comes with a 1 in spacer for the front coils. Works perfectly. It's how the kit came from rc. I would do that instead of changing lifts. You should be able to clear 31s easily with that lift. Of the tires run do a little trimming.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:38 PM

Awesome thanks for all the feedback guys yeah I really don't want to cut my fenders as I'm gonna need to cut more than Id like and it does look a little too low anyways so I was going to go ahead with the rest of the lift so far I have ordered from rough country fixed lower control arms, transfer case drop kit, extended sway bar link bracket, brake line brackets, shackles and then the coil spacer kit from amazon, I have a new track bar but it is not adjustable do I have to get the bracket for the track bar if so where can I find one and if there is anything else you guys think I should change please let me know

Amazon.com: Energy Suspension 2.6102R Spring Isolator for Jeep: Automotive Amazon.com: Energy Suspension 2.6102R Spring Isolator for Jeep: Automotive
Old 02-09-2016, 01:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have a xj or zj. I would get a adjustable track bar. The bracket will get you close. If you don't use a bracket or adj track bar your axle won't be center. You will have tire sticking out one side and tire inside the wheel well on the other side. Adj track bar will get you perfect.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by VitaminLee_
Do you have a xj or zj. I would get a adjustable track bar. The bracket will get you close. If you don't use a bracket or adj track bar your axle won't be center. You will have tire sticking out one side and tire inside the wheel well on the other side. Adj track bar will get you perfect.
I have a MJ jeep Comanche, any Adjust. track bars that are cheap and good you could recommend? I'm in college and am pretty much spending every penny I have in this thing but don't have much so I might have to get the bracket for now, after I did the 3 inch lift I noticed this new noise its almost sounds like a rattle but really only happens when your in gear not moving and turning the steering wheel to find the noise any ideas I think i might have to do with the transfer case just cause my mechanic whos an idiot and so far has been wrong about everything said he saw it shake a little or he thinks it might be exhaust I feel like its coming out of the right side front maybe middle

any idea?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a MJ jeep Comanche, any Adjust. track bars that are cheap and good you could recommend? I'm in college and am pretty much spending every penny I have in this thing but don't have much so I might have to get the bracket for now, after I did the 3 inch lift I noticed this new noise its almost sounds like a rattle but really only happens when your in gear not moving and turning the steering wheel to find the noise any ideas I think i might have to do with the transfer case just cause my mechanic whos an idiot and so far has been wrong about everything said he saw it shake a little or he thinks it might be exhaust I feel like its coming out of the right side front maybe middle

any idea?
I have an iron rock off road track bar, it's really beefy and made in the USA and a lot of other people run Rubicon express and seem to like it, both are on the lower end of the spectrum for cost as far as good track bars go
Old 02-09-2016, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by kyle96xj
I have an iron rock off road track bar, it's really beefy and made in the USA and a lot of other people run Rubicon express and seem to like it, both are on the lower end of the spectrum for cost as far as good track bars go

I actually really like the http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10117.html that you recommended seems much much better then the RC one and the are almost the same price I am assuming I should just to order it , so I don't need a bracket? I really want to go as cheap as possible and it seems the iron rock is the my best option for quality unless you think http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121858680354?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82 is better or a big no no

Last edited by David Pinkhasov; 02-09-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:27 PM

i know this is random but how do you guys set up a pic under your name on the left tab there?

Quick Reply: 3" RC kit added and 1.75 coil spacers on top ok??