Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Gear Low Range Cruise Control?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 07:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1st Gear Low Range Cruise Control?

We recently had the chance to make it up to our Bugout property next to the Grand Canyon. The only access Road to get in there is a BLM "Switchback" Fire Break Road. Because of the recent Az Desert "Monsoon" rains it was quite a challenge and pretty rough all the way in. It ended up being 1st gear lowrange the whole last 5 Miles.

About halfway I realized I could really use a "hand throttle" like my old 53 ****** M38A1 came with stock. Has anyone else realized they could benefit from this feature also? have you played with this idea yet? In the old days we would just add a Choke Cable to the throttle linkage like my 53 ****** came with.

I was thinking the easiest way to add this feature now might be to take an adjustable Electric "Anti-Backfire" Solenoid from an 80s Carburetor and adapt the bracket to fit the Throttle Body Linkage so all I had to do was flip a Switch to a preset Throttle RPM setting.

Does someone know if there is another way to accomplish this with what we already have to work with in the OEM Cruise System?
Old 08-02-2015, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Manual transmission?
Heel & toe technique would probably be safer, I don't want anything operating the throttle except me.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

There are many that use hand throttles. I will be doing that when I do a 4WD swap in my MJ. I guess you could do something similar to what popo/gov't jeeps had with their "EXT idle" switch. Just set the circuit to "fail open"
Old 08-02-2015, 06:52 PM
CF Veteran

Default Normally I think that way...

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Manual transmission?
Heel & toe technique would probably be safer, I don't want anything operating the throttle except me.

Normally I think that way also. But, seriously it get tedious after about Three miles in 1st low. My foot slides up the peddle when you hit bumps and I am constantly readjusting. It actually creates more jerking around than it needs to be.

It is an Auto but acts just like a manual when in first low. I don't know if they are all like this but it is in full convertor lockup when in first low. 1-2 will only shift to second when it is in high range. It stays in first when in 1-2 and low range and will not shift up out of first until shifted to 3 or OD. It will however shift all the way into OD even when in low range, I like that

Seriously though, It has been a great feature to have on my old 53 ****** for miles and miles in a row at 5 MPH. At 5 MPH you still have plenty time to hit the switch and stop for anything you might run into

I have to be honest though and tell you that the feature termed or called "Hand Throttle" is actually still considered illegal in most States

I hear your concerns and normally would absolutely agree with your sentiments! Thank you very much for taking the time to be the first reply to this my "Fellow Percussionist" friend!

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 08-02-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:08 PM
CF Veteran

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Metmknice
There are many that use hand throttles. I will be doing that when I do a 4WD swap in my MJ. I guess you could do something similar to what popo/gov't jeeps had with their "EXT idle" switch. Just set the circuit to "fail open"

Thank you for sharing that there is a trick. I read someone else did this on another thread here and was planning to chase down the circuit for this. I also read they had some issues with consistency using this trick for some reason?
Old 08-04-2015, 05:37 PM
CF Veteran

Default A curious thought?

Here's a curious thought. I know I would have trouble finding anyone willing to do this but? In theory, could the factory Cruise Control firmware be flashed to ignore the 45 MPH minimum protocol?