International This area is for all our fellow wheelers outside of the US. So now Canada and other countries have their own area.

Jeeping the Pana Downunder

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4L
Cool Jeeping the Pana Downunder

Aussie Jeedaps feel free to give the heave-ho to your Jeepny concerns on this forum
I'll open with a concern... Our daily drive is a '95 4L Cherokee Sport... Gas/petrol..rig...A couple of days a go we ran out of gas...switched to petrol and she died... The NRMA towed us to port...plenty of liquid stuff?... the mechanic could not get it to run on petrol...goes hammers on gas though... Question: Is it possible that this after market gas conversion has a fuse of some sort or maybe it's something else altogether....the NRMA techo could not get a live response from the little beast on gasoline.... Regards In Oz.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Hey mate, we're in the US and need a little translation. What is the difference between gas and petrol. To us it would be the same thing.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:32 PM

Default Hi 4.3L XJ

Hi... Ok...Here in Oz we use the term Petrol for your term Gasoline. Some other countries in Europe use the term Benzine for your term Gas,most of the old Pink map (British Commonwealth) use the term Petrol.

In Oz by the term Gas we mean LGP ( liquefied Petroleum Gas), we also have another fuel CNG (Compressed Natural Gas), or sometimes it is called Coal gas. The CNG are hard to deal with, it does not liquify at ambient temperatures and therefore it has to be contained in high pressure vessels. I dont feel that secure driving on one of these pressure 'bombs' though the fuel is super cheap. Many of the Buses in this city are fueled with CNG... So cheap in fact that some cities are 'giving away' so to speak. Installation costs for this system are expensive and 'pay back' times are a lot longer than LGP.. I run both systems, LGP and Petrol.. Most running is done on the 'Gas' system...The petrol system acts as a back up...Some places in Oz have not got LGP avaliable.. Expensive storage and dispensing making it not worthwhile in a Country as big as this with only an average % of 20,000'000 bods to serve... Just as a matter of interest. ULP ( unleaded Petrol) retails on a flucuating market at aprox A$1.31 a liter.. The gas LGP sells for around A$0.50 per liter... so gas (LPG) is the go here in OZ.

My 'Gas' system is an after market product. The Gov. subidises the fitting of these systems to older chariots. The big guys factory fit 'Gas' as an option'
It costs a couple of grand to have a system fitted and there are regulated inspection protocols...manditory at title transfer. Hope this 'gives you', as we say Downunder, 'the drum' ( informs you of the facts) all the best and Regards 'The Bonehunter' (Big Lizard Finder) OZ...

Last edited by Bonehunter; 07-29-2010 at 10:14 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 07-29-2010, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 IL6

crazy man crazy
Old 07-30-2010, 01:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 95
Engine: stock

hi mate , was reading about this on a Aussie forum , see if i can find the link for ya .....all blacks by 10 tomorrow lol
Old 07-30-2010, 02:10 AM

have a look through these post ,may help may not ....good luck mate
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...archid=1742866
Old 07-30-2010, 10:04 AM

Default Gas problem

Hi Cantab 27.
Thanks for the lead. I'll do that site a little later...I managed a fix..It seems that the fuel computor got 'unset' I'm not sure if by default or not...After peddling for a day or so it seems to have come good...thanks again...

Now that's some address... Chritchurch...and punting...I had the luck to have to attend a world conference on organic farming a few years ago at Lincoln University... what a campus... beautifull... I saw there a clone of the 'peace' rose, a smasher fully the size of a small dinner plate... Mind-blowing ... Went on to Franz Josef's Glacier (Ka Roimata o Hinehukatere) on the Waiho River (whacked some monster trout)... via Arthur's Pass, saw my first live Kia at the pass I had some years previously mounted a group at The Australian Musem...Lupins, Gorse and Heather every where... Made my Scots soul leap with joy... You bloody pakihas (lol) No way this time mate...the green and gold.... Oh... and by the way, two of my best buddies are men of 'The land of the long white cloud' next year we are taking a trip to bag some trout and a Chamois or two...Being a retired taxidermist the introduced fauna Of NZ sharpens my needles, so to speak....Thar, chamois, Elk, Moose, Big Red deer, Sambar and of course those bloody possums... I am, with grace an admirer of those beautifull Islands... For me especially, the west coast of the South Island... Lucky are the souls to live in such a southern paradise..To my way of thinking anyway.. Thanks again Kiwi...Regards Bonehunter.

Last edited by Bonehunter; 07-30-2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:22 AM

Default After thought on Petrol glich

cantab27 Hi again,
Fuel fix: Start engine on petrol.. a little ether... via the air cleaner... run 30 seconds at half revs about 1200 or so... swing to gas... turn off Ignition... fire up on gas 15 seconds .... cut out...swing back to ULP (petrol)... seems to have nudged the fuel system... so far so good... Regards Bonehunter.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:08 AM

good result on the gas issue what part of Aussie are you in ..i lived on the gold coast for a bit ,7 or 8 years... loved the place ..some of my best mates are Aussies , caught up with a few last year when i went back for a holiday...mate has a pub in meandarra bout 5 hours in from toowoomba...yep west-coast is a good spot over here , go there every Xmas for a few days fishing .....let me know if ya going to throw a line in down my way , have a few good trout spots ........o yep good year the 95 xjs
Old 07-31-2010, 07:01 AM

Default Wack a Trout or seven.

Hi again Cantab,
I'm going to take you up on that offer Kiwi... I sure am...
I'm in the political dump Canberra, only thing is and that's the big bummer the Salty is 1.5 hours away.... the only thing going for it is the rivers on the monaro...Jindabine etc... Blowering dam.... and so forth... The divings not bad on the coast and the surf is great... but I'm moving soon to better parts...closer to the briney... and some place I can grow Pawpaws and Advocados... and shed this perenial winter gear.... If I want to see snow in the future I'm going to cross the ditch... and bag a beast or four in the southern Alps of Kiwi...

Talk to you soon, regards Bonehunter...
Old 08-01-2010, 11:18 AM

Cool All Blacks

Cantab 27,
Bloody pathetic brother, pathetic. What a drubbing... now 9... times in a row... Hats off to the All Blacks!... Still...There's next week in NZ... The Wallabies coach must be skating on thin ice...I hear rumbles in the press...Regards Bonehunter...
Old 08-02-2010, 12:24 PM

next ones in ch ch .that's robbie's home town , thought they would have gone better the Aussies....refs killing the game with all the yellow cards ...god forbid if a punch got thrown ha ha ...bring back the biff .......
Old 08-02-2010, 03:26 PM

Wink Skirts are the problem

The relentless march of women's crap is invading every nieche of a go world. ' power'...get over it men...'take back the day and the night will follow'
Just take a look at what was done by men in building and architecture for ever... Gaudi etc... Re-look at the engieers...Brunel etc... The boat builders of The Clyde and Belfast... Men of genious...The days when clerks did as they were told.. And the makers prevailed... Look at what happened to machines, the work of men, when you had to fit the 'mean gender' behind the wheel!...Stupid 'pester power'....And now on the paddock and in the scrum...bit of respect... yay... bring back the biff... at least on 'the paddock' for a start... and keep a load more of the bitter hens indoors and at the bazier... The lioness does not dun the lion...she 'gets on with' ...'A whistling women and a crowing hen, aint good for the world or men'... 'touche'....And modern women are about as useless as **** on a bull...or the facile search for a long weight or a sky-hook!. Off your knees men... and 'kick ****'....take back the real world...and lead...
Regards...Bonehunter...The sworn enemy of MISANDRISTS...(Men Haters)...
PS. Read: http://www.csulb.edu/~mfiebert/assault.htm and
http://web.maths.unsw.edu.au/~jim/women.html
And digest.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/uk_news/education/4183166.stm
or http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...esearch.gender

Last edited by Bonehunter; 08-02-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: The truth.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:44 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0
Default Gidday 'Bonehuner'

Howzit... nice to see another 'West Islander' on the forum...
Old 08-04-2010, 03:48 PM

Default Thanks 'theoldbill'

Ch Ch this weekend?... 0-10. I hope not! Regards Bonehunter.

Quick Reply: Jeeping the Pana Downunder