International This area is for all our fellow wheelers outside of the US. So now Canada and other countries have their own area.

Grand Cherokee - V8 Longevity

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Grand Cherokee - V8 Longevity

Hi all,

New to the forums and excited to learn about this vehicle.

I am considering purchasing a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee but I have a few questions. The vehicle is fully loaded with power everything, heated seats, a moonroof, etc. Interior looks perfect except for a bit of cracking I noticed on the driver's side door.
Exterior is perfect except the rockers do need to be done. Mileage is at 345000 kilometers though.

The seller is asking $2200 or $2500 safetied (because the rockers need to be done for it to pass the safety inspection). The vehicle has been etested and passed with no issues.

I'm worried about the mileage. I've done a bunch of research online but can't find any consistency regarding longevity of the V8 4.7L motor. I also don't see very many being sold anywhere with this high mileage. When I search the regular used vehicle sale sites I see that go up to around 360,000 kms. I'm not sure if people just aren't selling them with higher mileage or is this is typically when they die.

Can anyone give me an estimate of how many kms or miles this motor should last for? The current owner works for an auto mechanic's shop and has taken very good care of it. She has put a ton of work into it recently (all ball joints, tie rods, bearings, etc.). She also says that oil changes were also done before the 5000 km marker.

Also, are there any other issues I should be aware of with this vehicle?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Sathane; 11-09-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

You might want to try the actual Grand Cherokee section.

In my opinion the engine is alright. Not like the legendary 4.0L but not a heap of crap by any means. The big problem is actually the Chrysler transmissions. This is likely the reason you don't find many for sale. If you're somewhere with salt, rust eats anything that old anyway.